[comp.sys.amiga] Freememory map doesn't work with A500

billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) (09/09/87)

[]

Anyone know why the free-memory map on the extras disk doesn't work
with the A501 memory expansion installed in an A500??  It responds
with the message "Doesn't work with fast memory" or something very
close to that.  Seems odd that C-A would ship something that doesn't
work with their products.

What's the significance of "B52/Rock Lobster"?

--
    _   /|		    Fundamentally Oral Bill
    \`o_O'		    UUCP: {akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd

In article <1682@crash.CTS.COM> billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) writes:
>Anyone know why the free-memory map on the extras disk doesn't work
>with the A501 memory expansion installed in an A500??  [ ... ]

	'Freemap' doesn't work with memory beyond 512K, and never did.  If
you look at the source (which exists on an early Fish Disk), there's a
comment in there from -=RJ=- saying that he did icky but clever things to
make it work, but it would fail in a large way if run with expanded memory.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/11/87)

In article <3927@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <1682@crash.CTS.COM> billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) writes:
>>Anyone know why the free-memory map on the extras disk doesn't work
>>with the A501 memory expansion installed in an A500??  [ ... ]
>
>	'Freemap' doesn't work with memory beyond 512K, and never did.  If
>you look at the source (which exists on an early Fish Disk), there's a
>comment in there from -=RJ=- saying that he did icky but clever things to
>make it work, but it would fail in a large way if run with expanded memory.

When I put it in the Extras disk (because I thought it was cute) it was
a last minute decision...so I opted to just check for the existence
of fast memory, rather than decode RJ's logic. (I was rushed)  I've since
gone back and fixed it (all it turned out to be was that the program really
had no idea of how to traverse memory headers; I was scared off my RJ's
comments in the source too :-)  Anyway, I've fixed it a bit, and
cleaned it up a bit, and will be putting it on the Software Toolkit,
but will be happy to send it comp.amiga.binary.  Its a fun toy, anyway.

[Hey Leo, why don't you expand your signature ?  That bike looks wimpy :-)
 (if popular demand works one way, why not the other ?  :-)   )

>Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
> \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
>O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")

See what I mean ?

			andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."

In article <1682@crash.CTS.COM> billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) writes:

> What's the significance of "B52/Rock Lobster"?

But Bryce, I thought you were a person of culture and discrimination!

Long ago, when there were a number of proposals vying for the addition to the
Amiga product line, ranging from something like an A1000 but a few dollars
cheaper to something like an ST with zip for expansion, the proposal that
eventually became the A500 was nicknamed the B52.  This was no doubt supposed
to indicate a Commodore strategic product with long range potential that would
rattle the enemy's cage big time.  Anyway, after too many late nights working
on the thing, it became obvious that B52 referred to the rock group of the
same name, and that "Rock Lobster" was an appropriate product designation.
At one point we had a nice dpaint image of a lobster with a slightly crunched
1040 ST in one claw and Mac in the other, but attempts to replace the "hand"
with this image and to have the machine play the entire party mix version of
"Give Me Back My Man" on power-up were less than successful.  Oh, well...

On a less inspired note, the B2000 internal designation for the West Chester
design A2000 came about because things were just getting too confusing when
you couldn't say A2000 without the respondent saying which A2000.  While the
customer in the US gets to deal with but one A2000, the purchasing and
manufacturing people have to deal with two, at least on the international
scene.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (09/16/87)

In article <2346@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

> At one point we had a nice dpaint image of a lobster with a slightly crunched
> 1040 ST in one claw and Mac in the other, but attempts to replace the "hand"
> with this image and to have the machine play the entire party mix version of
> "Give Me Back My Man" on power-up were less than successful.  Oh, well...

It'd be nice if you could post the image...

Aside from that, how come youse guys didn't use the song
"Mesopotamia"?  You coulda digitized the lyrics to go along with it:

"Six or eight.. years ago
They laid down the board...

In Penn-syl-van-i-a"
--
Hm-m-m-mm?  I thought this place was for Brontosaurusses only!?!!?!!

lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) (09/26/87)

In article <2346@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1682@crash.CTS.COM> billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) writes:
:>
:> What's the significance of "B52/Rock Lobster"?
:

:eventually became the A500 was nicknamed the B52.  This was no doubt supposed
:same name, and that "Rock Lobster" was an appropriate product designation.
:At one point we had a nice dpaint image of a lobster with a slightly crunched
:1040 ST in one claw and Mac in the other, but attempts to replace the "hand"
:with this image and to have the machine play the entire party mix version of
:--
:George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
:Commodore, Engineering Department	fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)

PLEASE! Post (script) us A copy of that legendary file...I know its prob. not
SAchs quality, but little amiga tidbits like this intrique me!!
--
USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!cdf!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@cdf.apctrc.uucp (?)
Phone: (918-660-4389) 24 hrs, voice. USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145