[comp.sys.amiga] Insider and the A2000

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (09/23/87)

I'm on the fence about whether or not to upgrade my A1000 to an A2000.
One consideration is that I have the insider board now.  Does anyone
know if I will be able to use it in an A2000?  Maybe I could use its
chips to populate one of the other expansion boards.  Is that possible?

Thanks for any responses,

Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz
#  cadovax!kaz@ucla-locus.arpa

perry@atux01.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (09/25/87)

In article <2390@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> in article <1766@cadovax.UUCP>, kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) says:
>
> > I'm on the fence about whether or not to upgrade my A1000 to an A2000.
> > One consideration is that I have the insider board now.  Does anyone
> > know if I will be able to use it in an A2000?  Maybe I could use its
> > chips to populate one of the other expansion boards.  Is that possible?
>

> If the RAM chips are socketed, or if you're really crazy with a soldering
> iron, there's a reasonable chance they'd work in another expansion board.
> First of all, you have to find a manufacturer that sells partially populated

As there seems to be interest in somehow upgrading slap on the side products
for the A1000  into Zorro  II boards for the A2000, we would like to propose
the following:

	For only those A1000 memory products which use SOCKETED 256Kx1 ram
	chips, send us your A1000  SOTS board,  we'll remove the ram chips
	to one of our 2MI's, then send both boards back to you.

	The normal retail price  of the 2MI is $599. For this offer, we'll
	make the price $325 (you pay postage both ways).

	We will test the ram chips you  supply (on your sots board) and we
	will replace up to 2 of them without charge. If you have more than
	2 bad ram chips we will replace them for $5 each.

	This offer is not good for UNSOCKETED (SOLDERED) ram arrays.

	We will provide the same high level of software support and warranty
	as if we had supplied the rams ourselves.

	You can do whatever you like with the resulting unpopulated SOTS
	product (like sell it to defray the cost of the upgrade).

	NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE:

	If you have a 2 megabyte Alegra card, we'll upgrade it to an 8MI for
	$425. The  2  megabyte  Alegra uses 1MBitx1 DRAMS in sockets, so why
	not. The resulting board can take up to 8 megabytes in an A2000.

For more information please call  us  at  (201)  563-0529  or  send mail to
well!perry rather than post messages to the net.

Thanks,
	Perry Kivolowitz
	ASDG Incorporated

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (09/26/87)

Perry is once again taking ASDG out of it's way to help the Amiga
community, by moving chips from a SOTS board to ASDG boards to help
with an A1000 -> A2000 upgrade.

But Perry, what about those of us with Zorro-I cards who'd like to go
to an A2000 instead of an ASDG 2001? Does the offer extend to those?

Better yet, do you have a trade-in on ASDG ?M boards to ?MI boards, to
go along with the various MiniRack trade ins?

Hmmm - could you post/email (to avoid flames about commercials on the
net) a list of the current trade deals that ASDG has going now?

	Thanx,
	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		mwm@berkeley.edu