[comp.sys.amiga] sources to dvi2iff, version -1; tcp/ip for amiga

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (09/14/87)

The sources to a very preliminary version (-1) of dvi2iff are
in pub/dvi2iff.tar.Z on louie.udel.edu. It only does one page,
cause at the moment it just calls PutPict; if you broke up
PutPict then you could do many pages. The iff code from EA is real nice,
and the dv.c code is pretty clear. ALl the iff code on the iff disk is
there. This program has compiled and run on a Sun-3; there is no
sun-specific stuff in it. I have stopped working on it pending
a decision to just buy AmigaTeX, which is a real impressive
piece of work. Anyway you wizards out there can probably
bang this piece of junk into shape. Unfortunately it has to run
on the Amiga; i was crazy to try dvi2iff on the sun and ftp it
down, as one full page is a couple k of (compressed) bitmap. too big.
Questions to me and i will try to help.
  ON a related note, i have been thinking about TCP/ip on amiga.
My idea is to take ed pucketts pipe device and hack it so that
it is wired into TCP/IP. Then TCP/IP looks like a device; we could
call it net:. Why do this? Well, consider this mapping:
First, call the modified pipe device net:
Open	->	open a tcp/ip socket. You call it  "tcp.port" (e.g. tcp.25)
                or just "ip". Returns a handle to a unique tcp or ip port
Close	->	close the socket
Dir	->	when applied to net:, just shows you all the open sockets.
Delete	->	close the connection from outside the tcp/ip code
		or the program using the socket, e.g. you could
		from the CLI do a DIR net:, then delete stuff
		you are trying to kill.
and so on.

Note that we can also allow taps on connections; useful for debugging.
Now we can migrate telnet, ftp, and so on out of the karn code
into seperate processes. We can also now run rcp, rsh, and so on.
Each tcp/ip user will be in its own window. Looks like a win to me;
it is not possible on a PC or Mac because, as usual, no multi-tasking.
In fact the karn code does a sort of multi-tasking on its own
because of this lack.
   Anyway, i started to do this, and my shitso Lattice v3.03 gets
a CXERR 28 on iproute.c. Damn. Guess i have to wait for 4.0 and
then update. Any of you wizards wanna hit this, go to it. It is
actually not too hard.
ron
--
Ron Minnich

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (09/15/87)

In article <503@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>  ON a related note, i have been thinking about TCP/ip on amiga.
>My idea is to take ed pucketts pipe device and hack it so that
>it is wired into TCP/IP. Then TCP/IP looks like a device; we could
>call it net:. Why do this? Well, consider this mapping:
>First, call the modified pipe device net:
>Open	->	open a tcp/ip socket. You call it  "tcp.port" (e.g. tcp.25)
>                or just "ip". Returns a handle to a unique tcp or ip port
>Close	->	close the socket
>Dir	->	when applied to net:, just shows you all the open sockets.
>Delete	->	close the connection from outside the tcp/ip code
>		or the program using the socket, e.g. you could
>		from the CLI do a DIR net:, then delete stuff
>		you are trying to kill.
>and so on.
>
>Note that we can also allow taps on connections; useful for debugging.
>Now we can migrate telnet, ftp, and so on out of the karn code
>into seperate processes. We can also now run rcp, rsh, and so on.
>Each tcp/ip user will be in its own window. Looks like a win to me;
>it is not possible on a PC or Mac because, as usual, no multi-tasking.
>In fact the karn code does a sort of multi-tasking on its own
>because of this lack.

I've started a similar effort.  In fact, my port of the Phil Karn TCP/IP
code to the amiga was just an intrim step to a real implementation of
an Amiga device driver.  I dropped amigatcp.tar on TRANTOR.UMD.EDU for a few
folks to play with;  I'm surprized its taken off so much.  You should fetch
the complete package (for the PC),  from LOUIE.UDEL.EDU.  It comes complete
with documentation and everything!  Note that Phil has produced new versions
that have made my port obsolete by now.  Maybe when C Ltd returns my hard
disk (#$%^#@$..) I can get some work done.

My idea was to make an EXEC device driver, "internet.device".  In fact, you
will see a stub of code in the existing version that actually does this.  I'm
not sure at this point if imbedding it in the file system is a good idea;  I
done know if the semantics of the network connection can be maintained.  How
dow you indicate CLOSE on your side of a TCP connection, yet continue to
read from the other side?  And make this work with existing applications that
use fhe file system?  Hmmm...

The code I ported was compiled with Manx C;  I've given up on Lattice a long
time ago.   The vapor 4.0 might be better, but it is a little soon to count
on it saving the day.  I understand that the next major version of Manx C
also has function prototypes (see interview in latest Amazing Computing with
Goodnow).

Anybody know about any SCSI ethernet controllers?

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

ricks@well.UUCP (09/18/87)

In article <1929@umd5.umd.edu>, louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
> >First, call the modified pipe device net:
> >Open	->	open a tcp/ip socket. You call it  "tcp.port" (e.g. tcp.25)
> >                or just "ip". Returns a handle to a unique tcp or ip port
> >Close	->	close the socket
> >Dir	->	when applied to net:, just shows you all the open sockets.
> >Delete	->	close the connection from outside the tcp/ip code
> >		or the program using the socket, e.g. you could
> >		from the CLI do a DIR net:, then delete stuff
> >		you are trying to kill.

	Yes, Ameristar does this.  Only item not handled NOW is dir.  We
	call it inet:, and you get to IP, TCP, UDP, etc by incanting
	inet:tcp/addr/port, inet:udp/addr/port, etc.

> I've started a similar effort.  In fact, my port of the Phil Karn TCP/IP
> code to the amiga was just an intrim step to a real implementation of
> an Amiga device driver.  I dropped amigatcp.tar on TRANTOR.UMD.EDU for a few

	The problem with device driver/library implementations of Phils
	code is that the code was designed to be single threaded commutating
	loop.  To play as a device library requires either toggling a
	semaphore on entry to any network routine (minimal changes to
	code), or identifying and then placing monitors around critical
	sections in the code (mucho changes to code).

> Anybody know about any SCSI ethernet controllers?

Gheesh, I'm beginning to think there is a 60 dB Ameristar notch filter
at UDel :-).  Yes, there is a SCSI <-> Ethernet box - made by Kinetics.  The
cost to Universities is $1125 ($1250 for commercial folks) for the
thin Ethernet version (thick Ethernet costs ~$125 less).  As I've said
before, though, the cheapest way onto Ethernet copper for the Amiga is
the Ameristar A2000 board: $699. It plays on thin Ethernet without
setting you back extra bucks, and as always, I have a driver (that I wrote
for a port of KA9Q's code to the Amiga done before Lou's time) that
you can have for free..

						Rick Spanbauer

PS.  I do development for Ameristar, so consider this posting biased..

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (09/18/87)

ack. There is some confusion, and i can see why.
For the record:

rminnich@udel.edu is me, ron minnich

louie@trantor.umd.edu is louis mammakos (spelling, louie? )
                      who did the real nice work on porting karn's
                      code to the amiga.

louie.udel.edu  is the machine on which we keep louie@umd.trantor.edu's
                code.
                We did not name the machine after him, though
                maybe we should have.

In article <3969@well.UUCP> ricks@well.UUCP (Rick Spanbauer) writes:

>	The problem with device driver/library implementations of Phils
>	code is that the code was designed to be single threaded commutating
>	loop.  To play as a device library requires either toggling a
>	semaphore on entry to any network routine (minimal changes to
>	code), or identifying and then placing monitors around critical
>	sections in the code (mucho changes to code).
.
.
>Gheesh, I'm beginning to think there is a 60 dB Ameristar notch filter
>at UDel :-).
   Na, no filter here! In fact i just dumped another plug for this
board out on the net, and am pushing it on friends at upenn.
I think we are having name confusion ...
   On to other things.
   Here was my thinking on the net: device. First off,
when you write to the device, the driver looks to see if the session
is active. If not, it makes the session active via the same
mechanism you currently use via ^] and then a session command.
That i think will take care of writes to the device. I have not looked
close enough to see how to handle tcpinput. The code is so nice
i just figured there had to be a way to do this. If only i could
get enough time.
   In an ideal world i would just buy the Ameristar board,
but it is more than i can afford right now. :-(
ron
--
ron (rminnichme reow tot

In the referenced article, louie@trantor describes an internet.device he's
working on, and comments that putting it into the file system might not be
such a good idea.

I feel that all devices that can even remotely have some use be installed
into the file system. I want to be able to "type DATE:" and also "copy * DATE:".
I want to be able to "dmp rdf1:" (this one might want to be a read-only
device, or a seperately loadable one).

Even if the file system device isn't as powerful as the raw one, it's useful.
CON: isn't as powerful as doing direct console.device calls, but it's still
a useful tool. How many programs use it (raise your hands).

If I ever get the time to figure out how to do device drivers in Aztec, or
someone posts a sample driver for 3.40a, just watch out.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?

stu@splut.UUCP (Stewart Cobb) (09/20/87)

There's been some discussion about adding TCP/IP, and other stuff, to
the Amiga file system.  I'd like to add an enthusiastic YES!

Philosophy:  One of the great things about UNIX is its simplicity.  In
the original UNIX, _everything_ was treated as a file, and there was one
hieracherial directory structure, where all files had a home.  Later
Unixes, designed by "others," have added features such as sockets.  It's
not clear to me that a socket is a better picture of a TCP stream than
a file with a few special ioctl()'s.  Putting a variety of devices into
the filesystem may sound bizzare, but it actually provides a clean
implementation from the user's point of view.  I would definitely
support this as the way to go on the Amiga.

   And while we're at it, can we get rid of device names and go to a
single filesystem?  I have always hated this minor-but-annoying
difference between Amiga and UNIX.

Practice:  A lot of Official Commodore People read this net.  Perhaps
one of them can give me an answer (Official or not) to this question:

   Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?

   Think about it.  They can't be afraid of pirates: everyone who has an
Amiga gets a copy of the OS, gratis.  Are they afraid someone would hack
it up into a better OS?  That would only sell them _more_ Amigas.  They
shouldn't be concerned about having multiple, perhaps buggy, new OS's
floating around, because everyone who has one of those also has the
original to fall back to.  If one of these new ones emerges as a new
"standard", so what?
    The very worst case I can think of for Commodore is that 1.2 is
replaced in everyday use by something else.  In that case, people buy
their new Amiga's, reformat the 1.2 disks, and continue on.  And who
cares?  That wouldn't cost Commmodore a dime -- they are in business to
sell hardware, not software.
    Can someone point out the flaw in my reasoning?  Or, perhaps, the
flaw in theirs?

software away.

--

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (09/22/87)

in article <156@splut.UUCP>, stu@splut.UUCP (Stewart Cobb) says:

>    Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?

     Commodore doesn't have the soure.  At least, that's what they said
earlier.  MetaComco has the source.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

In article <156@splut.UUCP> stu@splut.UUCP (Stewart Cobb) writes:
>   Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?

Probably because they don't own it.  And it's Metacomco's bread and
butter.  C= is still paying royalties to them I believe.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (09/22/87)

In article <156@splut.UUCP> stu@splut.UUCP (Stewart Cobb) writes:

>Practice:  A lot of Official Commodore People read this net.  Perhaps
>one of them can give me an answer (Official or not) to this question:
>
>   Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?
>
>   Think about it.  They can't be afraid of pirates: everyone who has an
>Amiga gets a copy of the OS, gratis.  Are they afraid someone would hack
>it up into a better OS?

Speaking as one who would herself adore having a set of the OS sources I still
support C='s holding them close to their vests. Look at what happened in the
C-64 world with everybody and his uncle hacking directly into OS internals.
Can you imagine the chaos that would result when 1.3 comes out if this were
commonplace on the Amiga? If you STILL want public sources I propose putting
your name on it and letting you personally take the heat when all the programs
that used "hidden internal" entry points died with improved versions. This way
folks HAVE to use approved entrys. This leaves C= the necessary slack to
optimize internal code, alter internal code, and add improvements in left over
space as long as they keep the advertised interface to spec. (If they can get
it there to begin with.)

If you want to improve the OS so much by hacking why not do what I and others,
notably Charlie Heath and crew doing the ARP library and BCPL program
replacements, have done. We rebuild what displeases us and link it in via
proper library linkages. That is at least quite legal and proper. Just don't
hack inside, please. I can't imagine a machine like the Amiga surviving with
developers hying off after which ever hacker's version of the OS pleases them
at the moment. At least now all programs run off the same OS (unless they're one
of the nasty hacks on 1.1...) and can often (not often enough) work properly
TOGETHER.

I suppose I've flamed enough. I'll just say again that I have repeatedly asked
Andy for copies ofthis or that piece of source and been peeved when i can't get
it. Still, I find that in my more lucid moments I have to support the non-
release decision.

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

>>    Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?
>>
>     Commodore doesn't have the soure.  At least, that's what they said
>earlier.  MetaComco has the source.

	Try to be accurate.  The only thing commodore might possibly NOT have
the source to are parts of DOS, which was done by MetaComco.  Everything else
was done by Amiga/Commodore-Amiga/Commdore.

			-Matt

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (09/23/87)

In article <178@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>in article <156@splut.UUCP>, stu@splut.UUCP (Stewart Cobb) says:
>>
>>    Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?
>>
>     Commodore doesn't have the soure.  At least, that's what they said
>earlier.  MetaComco has the source.
>
>--Fabbian Dufoe

   Wrong.  We have all of the source.  We just don't OWN all of it.

   We don't own the narrator/translator source.
   We may not own some or all of the dos.library source.

   But we do have it all.
Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=ASTC 4nstheref rne
mou
mou
Me

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (09/24/87)

In article <775@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>If I ever get the time to figure out how to do device drivers in Aztec, or
>someone posts a sample driver for 3.40a, just watch out.
>--
>-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
>--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?

Well, i think ed pucketts' p: driver is a good example. It supports
all the operations i suggested in my original posting. Take a look
at it ... pretty nice code.

--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <1759@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>In article <156@splut.UUCP> stu@splut.UUCP (Stewart Cobb) writes:
>>   Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?
>
>Probably because they don't own it.  And it's Metacomco's bread and
>butter.  C= is still paying royalties to them I believe.

Please!  Metacomco came in at the last moment and contributed the
file system, "AmigaDOS".  It's that icky, BCPL kludge that causes so
much overhead.

Exec, Intuition, Graphics, Layers, Math and all that stuff
was developed at Amiga (or Commodore or Commodore-Amiga). DOS and
(I think) translator are all that was farmed out.

"AmigaDOS" is one of those tricky terms.  People hear "PC-DOS" for
the PC, so the Amiga must have AmigaDOS.  Oh, you say, AmigaDOS
was written by Metacomco?  When I say "DOS" I mean just the file system;
what handles the disks, directories and files.

I don't think Metacomco's contribution went much beyond that.  A little
more semi-speculation: I think DOS was added in Rev 28 of the OS.
30 was the first one to be released to the public, as V1.0. 31 was
V1.1, 32 was the PAL release, 33 is V1.2.  (I never met an Amiga
until V1.1)

Amiga apparently had a file system that was actually designed to sit
on top of the rest of the Amiga.  I don't know the details of that
other than it never came to life.  They used something I have never
seen, the "Kludge file system", until Metacomco was pulled in to
port a DOS over in just a few weeks of panic.  (Sources: BYTE and
AmiProject)

From a programmer's perspective it is very clear that Metacomco's file
system and the rest of the Amiga are of clearly distinct design.

Commodore-Amiga is still working on the Operating System.  Recent
changes have been made for better multi-tasking 68881 and 68882
math co-processor support.  The huge-screen overscan bug was found
and fixed.  (Source: Dale Luck announcing at a FAUG meeting.  No
release dates mentioned.)

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, ENQ, SYN)
{o O} .
 (") 	bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
  U	How can you go back if you have not yet gone forth?

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (09/24/87)

In article <156@splut.UUCP> stu@splut.UUCP (Stewart Cobb) writes:
>   And while we're at it, can we get rid of device names and go to a
>single filesystem?

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Single file system works fine when the drives are permanently mounted, floppy
systems mean that you have a large number of file systems (disks) that are
mounted and dis-mounted regularly. Can you imagine having to issue a unmount
command, eject disk, then issue a mount command every time you change floppies?
Of course, it is impossible to access two floppies at once with a single floppy
system, like diskcopy.

The Xenix system requires you to mount and unmount floppies, making it
virtually impossible to run without a hard disk. Other systems that run on
PCs run with device names, such as QNX, AmigaDOS, etc, etc, precisely for
the above reasons!!!
--
Godfrey Lee                                      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (09/25/87)

in article <8709222157.AA26354@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) says:
>>>    Why hasn't Commodore released the source to the operating system?
>>     Commodore doesn't have the soure.  At least, that's what they said
>>earlier.  MetaComco has the source.
> 	Try to be accurate.  The only thing commodore might possibly NOT have
> the source to are parts of DOS, which was done by MetaComco.  Everything else
> was done by Amiga/Commodore-Amiga/Commdore.
     You're right.  I just assumed "operating system" referred to AmigaDOS,
not Intuition.  At any rate, my point was that someone from Commodore
answered the question some time back saying they didn't have the source to
the software which was written by MetaComco.  From the discussions I've
read about problems with the Amiga's system software, it's the MetaComco
stuff that most needs fixing.

In article <519@louie.udel.EDU>, rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
> In article <775@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >If I ever get the time to figure out how to do device drivers in Aztec, or
> >someone posts a sample driver for 3.40a, just watch out.
> Well, i think ed pucketts' p: driver is a good example. It supports
> all the operations i suggested in my original posting. Take a look
> at it ... pretty nice code.

Is it in Aztec?

I've got it... it looked like Lattice to me. The Aztec and Lattice startup
code isn't a real close match, and I don't want to get into that stuff...

Maybe I better look again.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?
-- Disclaimer: These aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/27/87)

In article <181@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>in article <8709222157.AA26354@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) says:
>>>     Commodore doesn't have the soure.  At least, that's what they said
>>>earlier.  MetaComco has the source.
>> 	Try to be accurate.  The only thing commodore might possibly NOT have
>> the source to are parts of DOS, which was done by MetaComco.  Everything else
>> was done by Amiga/Commodore-Amiga/Commdore.
>     You're right.  I just assumed "operating system" referred to AmigaDOS,
>not Intuition.  At any rate, my point was that someone from Commodore
>answered the question some time back saying they didn't have the source to
>the software which was written by MetaComco.  From the discussions I've
>read about problems with the Amiga's system software, it's the MetaComco
>stuff that most needs fixing.

We got all the sources.  We've always had all the sources.  What someone
may have said in the distant past was that he/she didn't have the sources.

I think the gathered net folks have pretty much summarized the
reasons for and against distributing the source.

Control issues, lawyer issues, money issues, possible port to other
machine issues, etc.  Maybe we should have an AT&T 'big bucks for a source
license' type program.  That way we could afford the AT&T number
of lawyers to defend it.  ("Let me get this straight...its *both* copyright
*and* trade secret ???)

Anyway, in our own peculiar fashion, we are addressing many of the
OS issues.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."