[comp.sys.amiga] Sprites, Solved!

hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) (09/26/87)

The great sprite hunt of 87 is finally concluded... Successfully!
Thanks to the excellent help from many people via mail, I found out(*)
that the Preferences centering gadget has to be ALL the way to the right
of the centering box in order to get all of your sprites to show up.
Silly me -- I was leaving it in the center of the box.

The (*) means that unfortunately I didn't read my mail until AFTER
I had already written a sprite tester program.  All this does is display
all the sprites (actually 1-7) and then you can run preferences in the
background and fool around with the centering box to find its optimal
state.

I was going to post this tester to the net for folks who may have wanted
it, but was discouraged from doing so by the slow rate of postings in
comp.sources.amiga.  Now I don't want to flame anyone, because we all
know that the moderator works for free.  However, it has been my
(albeit little) experience that stuff posted to the .sources. group
takes either a lot of time to show up, or never shows up at all.

What occurred to me is a radical idea which will probably generate
much flames.   However...  Why not "un-moderate" the comp.sources.amiga
and comp.binaries.amiga groups?  In other words, let people post to
them (and traffic flow at normal rates) just like the comp.sys.amiga
group.  I am a net novice, but it is my understanding that the purpose
of moderation is three fold.  (a) don't let people put gossip in
sources groups, (b) get rid of duplicate postings, and (c) keep an
archive of everything for ftp purposes.

Well, point (a) people will have to police themselves.  But for
point (b), it seems most stuff is posted by the author, which would
eliminate duplicates.  And point (c), either the current moderator
could simply cull articles from these groups into his directory,
or the folks at trantor and other "unofficial" repositories could keep
up their good work.

The disadvantage of this scheme is making sure its not abused by people
replying with junk mail to sources/binaries postings.  The advantages
however are same day turnaround, plus the moderator can concentrate
his time on making excellent archives, instead of uudecoding and then
uuencoding incoming mail.

I don't want to start a lot of notes on this subject and get the
comp.sys.amiga group into high volume.  If people want to "vote", I
will collect for/against tallies and other propositions.  However,
this net is really not a democracy, and probably the only person who
could change things is the actual moderator himself.  Does he read this?

-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

In article <2475@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:
> What occurred to me is a radical idea which will probably generate
> much flames.   However...  Why not "un-moderate" the comp.sources.amiga
> and comp.binaries.amiga groups?

I have two counter-suggestions.

1) You could see if the moderator is willing to let you comoderate.

2) You could post your surces to comp.sources.misc which does have a good
turnaround, and leave a message here explaining where it is.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?