[comp.sys.amiga] 16 bit Lattices?

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (09/18/87)

In article <1584@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) writes:
<>	I would suggest Aztec-C mainly because it will compile int's as either
<>16 bits or 32 bits (Most Atari compilers use 16 bit ints), and you don't want
<>to have to worry about a program compilable under BOTH 16 and 32 bit ints.
<>
<So does Lattice these days. 3.10 handles 16 bit or 32 bit integers nicely.

3.10 will make "int"'s 16 bit objects? How do I convince it to do
that? It isn't in the docs!

Of course, short's are 16 bits, and you can make it generate
pc-relative code and register-relative data ("small" code & data), but
that isn't the same thing. You still get stuck pushing 32 bit objects
on the stack for everything, and evaluating expressions in 32-bit
objects.

	<mike

--
All around my hat, I will wear the green willow.		Mike Meyer
And all around my hat, for a twelve-month and a day.	mwm@berkeley.edu

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (09/19/87)

In article <5136@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <1584@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) writes:
><So does Lattice these days. 3.10 handles 16 bit or 32 bit integers nicely.
>3.10 will make "int"'s 16 bit objects? How do I convince it to do
>that? It isn't in the docs!

I think she really meant 4.0, which does have this feature.
-Fred
--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (09/27/87)

In article <5136@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
> In article <1584@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) writes:
> >	I would suggest Aztec-C mainly because it will compile int's as either
> >16 bits or 32 bits (Most Atari compilers use 16 bit ints), and you don't want
> >to have to worry about a program compilable under BOTH 16 and 32 bit ints.
> >
> So does Lattice these days. 3.10 handles 16 bit or 32 bit integers nicely.
>
> 3.10 will make "int"'s 16 bit objects? How do I convince it to do
> that? It isn't in the docs!
Actually, I think jdow mispelled a word or two.  Lattice 4.0 supports both
32 bit and 16 bit integers.  It comes with libraries for both as well as
full prototypes for the functions so you are not forced to clutter your code
with all those ridiculous casts to longs.  Furthermore it catches the most
common coding error with 16-bit integers - failing to declare a function
that returns a pointer.  ANy attempt to use the result (with or without a
cast) of a function returning an int as a pointer when compiled under 16-bit
integers will result in a warning message.  Furthermore it also has a option
to complain about any function that you call without a prototype in scope
so you can be sure that the calling conventions are correct.

/*---------------------All standard Disclaimers apply---------------------*/
/*----Working for but not officially representing SAS or Lattice Inc.-----*/
/*----John A. Toebes, VIII         usenet:...!mcnc!rti-sel!sas!toebes-----*/

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (09/28/87)

Well i am glad to see someone from lattice on this list.
What is the scoop on 4.0? Is it really going to be out
at the end of this month, or do we wait till next year?

--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)