[comp.sys.amiga] WordPerfect for students

matt@utastro.UUCP (Matt A. Wood) (09/22/87)

I have heard a rumor that WordPerfect Corporation is offering
WordPerfect for a very reasonable $100 for students and faculty.
Are they offering a full implementation of the program for this
price, or is it a stripped-down version?  If it's the full system,
I'll be ordering mine _very_ soon...

Thanks in advance.

    Matt A. Wood.
    Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712
    {allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!matt	(UUCP)
    matt@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)
--
    Matt A. Wood.
    Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712
    {allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!matt	(UUCP)
    matt@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (09/22/87)

WordPerfect for students and other University type is $99 (for the Amiga, the
PEE-CEE version is $125).  You should contact WordPerfect Corporation and ask
them to send you a "School Software Direct Order Form".  There is a menu of
products that are available at a substantial discount.  The only product
available for the Amiga is WordPerfect.

Anyway, you need to send them the form, the bucks (check, money order, or
plastic numbers), a copy of student or faculty id, copy of drivers license
or SS card.  They use your SS number for uniqeness; only one order per person.

Their number is (801)-225-5000.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (09/22/87)

In article <2138@utastro.UUCP> matt@utastro.UUCP (Matt A. Wood) writes:
>I have heard a rumor that WordPerfect Corporation is offering
>WordPerfect for a very reasonable $100 for students and faculty.
>Are they offering a full implementation of the program for this price?

The rumor is correct --- I've heard WP people announce it on several
occasions. In fact, I have a form --- "WordPerfect Corporation School
Software Direct Order Form," directly obtained from the WP rep at Seybold.
According to the form, "Qualifying teachers, as well as college, university,
and other post-secondary students, can now purchase WordPerfect
Corporation (WPCORP) software directly from WPCORP at reduced price. To
qualify, a participant must be a full-time teacher/administrator or
currently enrolled as a full-time student, and must agree in writing not
to resell or transfer any package purchased under this program."

I have NO IDEA if you can order without this form, but, assuming you can,
I will give some more info about what you need to order at educational
discount: You apparently need:
(1) To select the software you want. (In our case, it is "WordPerfect 4.1 for
    the Amiga." Price $99.00.
(2) Photocopy of your current student ID or faculty card, AND a photocopy of
    some well known ID (drivers license or social security card). You need to
    prove current enrollment --- If you ID does not do it, then get some other
    forms.
(3) Your social security number.
(4) Payment, VISA, MasterCard, personal check, or money order. Include
    account# and expiration date.
(5) Shipping address for the program and your local dealers address.
(6) Send to
     SCHOOL SOFTWARE PROGRAM
     WORDPERFECT CORPORATION
     288 WEST CENTER STREET
     OREM, UT  84057

The form also has a blank space in the bottom for signature, and it says:
"The information provided herein is correct and accurate, and I will abide by
the restricting conditions outlined by WPCORP in this document. I understand
that at its sole discretion, WPCORP may refuse any order for any reason."
Signature __ Date __

It also says UT residents add 6.25% tax. Prices apply to US delivery only.

ANYWAY, I provided this info because I saw the product and it looked like
a nice, solid program, worth the $99 for sure. And to answer your second
question, YES, the $99 version is no different than the "actual" version,
according to what the WP rep told me.

I am not connected with WPCORP in any way... Also, if you want to go ahead
and order from the above info, I suggest you verify that you can (without
the actual form) --- Call them up --- The phone number given on the form
is 801-225-5000. Or check with your local dealer --- Maybe they have the
forms, or maybe they are selling WP to qualified people at educational
discounts! (Wishful thinking...)

Good luck!

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

berry@well.UUCP (09/23/87)

Summary:Wordperfect student/faculty deal
Sender:John Thomas Berry

Fulltime  college students and faculty members can get the complete,
unbraindamaged WordPerfect system for $99.00.  You have to pick up
a form at your Amiga dealer (actually any WordPerfect dealer -- even IBM
types -- has the same form.)  Just send it in with your money and you get
a full WordPerfect program.

thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM (Scott A. Thomas) (09/23/87)

It is mentioned that it is only good for college level students.  But
does anyone know if this offer is good for teacher's at the High school level.

I am checking for several of my wife's co-teachers who are interested in a
good word processor such as Word Perfect but they don't what to pay $200+
for the package.  This offer is in the price range they have been looking for.

Thanks.

--
Scott A. Thomas     	 CSNET S.Thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation		 ARPA  S.Thomas%Dayton.NCR.COM@relay.cs.net

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/25/87)

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) wrote:
> According to the form, "Qualifying teachers, as well as college, university,
> and other post-secondary students, can now purchase WordPerfect
> Corporation (WPCORP) software directly from WPCORP at reduced price.
>        ...You apparently need:
> (3) Your social security number.

What!?!  A computer software company requesting your social security
number so you can buy a program from them?

Let me guess, are they going to pay you retirement benefits?
Are they going to charge you Federal income taxes?

Then what in hell are they doing asking you for your social security number?

>                  --- Call them up --- The phone number given on the form
> is 801-225-5000.

I recommend that people interested in privacy protection call them
and flame them for this.  (You get a useless recording outside business
hours -- I just tried it.)
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com

rab@well.UUCP (09/25/87)

In article <3054@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
+ ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) wrote:
+ > According to the form, "Qualifying teachers, as well as college, university,
+ > and other post-secondary students, can now purchase WordPerfect
+ > Corporation (WPCORP) software directly from WPCORP at reduced price.
+ >        ...You apparently need:
+ > (3) Your social security number.
+
+ What!?!  A computer software company requesting your social security
+ number so you can buy a program from them?
+
+ Let me guess, are they going to pay you retirement benefits?
+ Are they going to charge you Federal income taxes?
+
+ Then what in hell are they doing asking you for your social security number?
+
+ >                  --- Call them up --- The phone number given on the form
+ > is 801-225-5000.
+
+ I recommend that people interested in privacy protection call them
+ and flame them for this.  (You get a useless recording outside business
+ hours -- I just tried it.)

 Info for your enlightenment:  It is *illegal* for anybody to require your
social security number as identification or in order to do business with
you.  There is a special exception for the Infernal Revenue Service; as
usual, they can get away with anything.  But nobody else may require it.
Thought you might like to know.

--
  Robert Bickford                 {hplabs, ucbvax, lll-lcc, ptsfa}!well!rab
/-------------------------------------v-------------------------------------\

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (09/26/87)

In article <3054@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) wrote:
>> According to the form, "Qualifying teachers, as well as college, university,
>> and other post-secondary students, can now purchase WordPerfect
>> Corporation (WPCORP) software directly from WPCORP at reduced price.
>>        ...You apparently need:
>> (3) Your social security number.
>
>What!?!  A computer software company requesting your social security
>number so you can buy a program from them?

Some (many?  all?) universities/colleges use the student's SS number for ID
with respect to records etc.  I assume this is why they want it.
Presumably your SS number would be more convenient but some other ID number
would do.  I'll let you know when I receive the order form.

>>                  --- Call them up --- The phone number given on the form
>> is 801-225-5000.
>
>I recommend that people interested in privacy protection call them
>and flame them for this.  (You get a useless recording outside business
>hours -- I just tried it.)

	Sheesh!  If you're not gonna order it, why bother?  If you are, you can
simply give some other student ID number.  You don't even have a copy of the
form in front of you and you suggest this badgering crap.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (09/26/87)

Before anyone get really pushed out of shape, the reason that they want you
to speicify your SS number to make sure that only one package is sold per
student/faculty person.  They also say that if you don't want to specify your
SS number, to call them and they will make other arrangements.

People are much to quick to flame without all the facts.  Cool out.

ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) (09/27/87)

In article <1960@umd5.umd.edu>, louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
> Before anyone get really pushed out of shape, the reason that they want you
> to speicify your SS number to make sure that only one package is sold per
> student/faculty person.  They also say that if you don't want to specify your
> SS number, to call them and they will make other arrangements.
>
> People are much to quick to flame without all the facts.  Cool out.
>

> Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
> University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

Ditto.  I went through this deal within the last month, and I
DID NOT send them my Social Security number.  (I didn't call
them up about that either.)  Agreed, it was a stupid request on their part
in the first place, but they just want some semi-permanent number
connected with you.  Something like a driver's license, passport,
whatever.

It's such a good deal (my dealer looked at the form and said "But
_I_ can't get it for that price!") that they want to make sure
we don't take advantage of it more than once.

BTW, I had to get the form from a campus store, and the Amiga
wasn't listed (old form, I guess.)  After a call to them, I just
wrote in "WordPerfect for the Amiga .....$99" under the other
offers and sent it in with the IDs and bucks.  [For the paranoid
among you (like me,) I even covered my student ID#: at the time, it was
also my SS# number - but no longer.]

Robin LaPasha      ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP
Disclaimer: just a (mostly) satisfied customer & recipient of
the mentioned deal.

candym@calgary.UUCP (Mike Candy) (09/29/87)

I called WordPerfect  this  morning  about Canadian orders  and was told that
it was available through the Canadian distributor: J.B. Marketing.

You can get an order form  from them by  calling 613-983-3333, price  is $160
plus    shipping  and handling  (~$20   to Alberta).  Same qualifications and
restrictions apply as the deal in the States.

						Mike Candy
UUCP:	..!{ubc-vision,ihnp4}!alberta!calgary!candym
BIX:	mrcandy		(not checked very often)