[comp.sys.amiga] Atari Marketing Strategy

mb@munnari.oz (Michael Bednarek) (09/28/87)

For the benefit of those of you who haven't the time to
follow comp.sys.atari.st:

"From: DMiddleton%pco@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA
"Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
"Subject: Atari Marketing Strategy (???)
"Date: 22 Sep 87 13:34:00 GMT
"Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
"
"Well fans, I hate to tell you but up in the Great White North (Toronto)
"the Amiga 500 is being marketted by (sound trumpets TA-Da-Da!!) K-MART!!
"Prices are really nuts, but it sure says something about Atari marketing
"policy. First cut off the mail orders, relegate the machine to small
"companies, and expect it to sell. Being an ST-ite, I find it incredible
"that they aren't selling through major stores (e.g. Pennys, Sears) and
"letting Commodore walk all over them. Even if legitimate "dealers" were
"paid (real green stuff) to repair defective units, it would be better for
"market penetration. Buying Federated isn't going to get major market
"penetration. Getting a major chain sure would though, and would it ever
"cause a massive increase in software development and $$$SALES$$$.
"
"Don Middleton
"Honeywell Bull Ltd           "My opinions, and mine alone..."
"DMiddleton%pco -at BCO-Multics.ARPA

Sounds like Commodore has done something right.

nmm@ers.UUCP (Neil McCulloch) (09/30/87)

In article <1836@munnari.oz>, mb@munnari.oz (Michael Bednarek) writes:

> Even if legitimate "dealers" were
> "paid (real green stuff) to repair defective units, it would be better for

What's this real green stuff? We've got real gold stuff now. :):)

Neil