[comp.sys.amiga] atari marketing, or how commodore messed up again

ugmiker@cs.buffalo.EDU (Michael Reilly) (09/29/87)

****I DIDN"T SEND THIS TO COMP.SYS.ATARI, BUT IF SOMEONE WANTS TO, GO AHEAD

In article <1836@munnari.oz> mb@munnari.oz (Michael Bednarek) writes:

>"From: DMiddleton%pco@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA
>"Subject: Atari Marketing Strategy (???)
>"
>"Well fans, I hate to tell you but up in the Great White North (Toronto)
>"the Amiga 500 is being marketted by (sound trumpets TA-Da-Da!!) K-MART!!
>"...{a few lines taken out to shorten the letter}
>"Being an ST-ite, I find it incredible
>"that they aren't selling through major stores (e.g. Pennys, Sears) and
>"letting Commodore walk all over them. Even if legitimate "dealers" were
>"paid (real green stuff) to repair defective units, it would be better for
>"market penetration. Buying Federated isn't going to get major market
>"penetration. Getting a major chain sure would though, and would it ever
>"cause a massive increase in software development and $$$SALES$$$.
>"
>"Don Middleton
>
>Sounds like Commodore has done something right.
FLAME ON !!!!!!!!!

					  ^^^^^^---- Commodore will never
learn I guess, one of the toughest things for Commodore to overcome in the
amiga "campaign" was to get back most(and there were alot of them) of the
dealers they "munged"(is that a nice way of putting it) when they dropped
the C64 on the "open market", using toys R' us and sears and so on.  A "dealer"
can not stay in business competeing with those high volume, low(I MEAN LOW)
support types of stores.  How do you think dealers feel when they convince the
buyer to go with the C64, and then the buyer says, I think I want it, I will be
back tommorow to buy it, but instead the buyer comes in a week or two later,
with a machine that he wants support for, a machine he bought in a toys r' us
for $100 - $200 dollars less then the dealers price, Most dealers don't like
that, and you should understand why.....  I have NEVER EVER seen and IBM (not
that I was looking) in a TOYs R` Us, maybe that is why people think of an
IBM as a professional machine, NOT A TOY.   Well commodore I hope the next time
I am in Kmart I don't hear....
"attention Kmart shoppers... Attention Kmart shoppers.... The commodore amiga
home computer is on sale in isle 5, bring one home for your KIDS to PLAY with"..

p.s. anybody notice in the 9/28 edition of USA today, there was a special
     section on computers....Something Must have happened at the printers'
     because Commodore's ad wasn't in it, they must have tried to put one
     in, they wouldn't let a perfect advertising oportunity like that pass
     by would they?????.... naaahhhh.... (well maybe).
	COMMODORE I KNOW YOU ARE NOT LISTENING BUT ......
	YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY......
FLAME OFF!!!!!

						Mike(r)
sorry for the babbling....Just another mistake or two(I feel) commodore made....
DISCALIMER---- I DISCLAIM EVERYTHING....EVEN MY DISCLAIMER.....
Mike Reilly
University of Buffalo Computer Science
csnet:	ugmiker@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugmiker
BITNET:	ugmiker@sunybcs.BITNET   <-OR->   ACSCMPR@ubvmsc.BITNET

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (09/29/87)

In article <5529@sunybcs.UUCP> ugmiker@sunybcs.UUCP (Michael Reilly) writes:

>p.s. anybody notice in the 9/28 edition of USA today, there was a special
>     section on computers....Something Must have happened at the printers'
>     because Commodore's ad wasn't in it, they must have tried to put one
>     in, they wouldn't let a perfect advertising oportunity like that pass
>     by would they?????.... naaahhhh.... (well maybe).
>	COMMODORE I KNOW YOU ARE NOT LISTENING BUT ......
>	YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY......

Locally I had heard that the ad campaign in USA Today was delayed exactly
one week.  This is very unfortunate, because the Sept 28 issue had the
section on personal computers.  This would have been the ideal section
to advertise in.

By the way, did anyone noticed they rated the Amiga 3 out of 5 in performance
(which they defined as speed) and the PS/2 Model 30 a 5.  *SIGH*  I
hate the media...

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

flynn@oscvax.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <5529@sunybcs.UUCP> ugmiker@sunybcs.UUCP (Michael Reilly) writes:
>>"the Amiga 500 is being marketted by (sound trumpets TA-Da-Da!!) K-MART!!
>> in Canada
Also soon to be in Canadian Tire (CANADA ONLY)
>>"...{a whole bunch of lines taken out to shorten the letter}
>
>... A large flame deleted...... About how Commodore is making a big
> mistake by selling the Amiga in K-Mart.
>
>						Mike(r)

I thought I might clarify somethings before Commodore gets destroyed by
angry shoppers.

Firstly Commodore Canada and Commodore US are different entities when it
comes to marketing.  In fact Commodore Canada did not have as a serious
problem with their dealers as did the US.  Because of this in Canada there
is a very strong Dealer base, and there is no (major) problems going into
mass merchandising.

In the US, however, there is not as strong a base.  Because there is not a
strong dealer base in the US it would be suicide for Commodore US to go to
the mass merchandisers, fortunately commodore knows this and have no plans
to go to the mass merchandisers in the US (at last word, last week).  So
all southerners have nothing to worry about.

p.s. Not only is Commodore Canada unique in its marketing we also got the
	 Amiga 2000, Sidecar and PC-Clones before you (about a year and a half
	 for the clones).

p.p.s Anybody have any suggestions for my last posting concerning external
	  characters and return values being trashed in large programs.

Flynn D. Fishman
  {ihnp4!....}utzoo!oscvax!flynn