[comp.sys.amiga] 1.3 in the future?

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (09/29/87)

I've been reading messages in the Fidonet Amiga discussion group about an
impending release of AmigaDOS 1.3 by Commodore.  All sorts of rumors were
flying around about being able to boot off hard disk, faster HD access,
faster, better printer drivers, etc. etc.

Since I heard nothing about it here (though our news feed has been really
flaky the past few weeks),  I'd like to ask the obvious question:

Are these rumors true?

I realize that Commodore staff can't comment on unreleased products, but a
simple "no" or "ahem...can't comment about the 1.3 release due in late
November" would be appreciated.

				--M

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu
BITNET: rainwalker@drycas (a uVax-1 run by CMU Computer Club...tons o' fun)

"that you were ever tempted by the lie...that there's an answer in the sky"
		--Echo and the Bunnymen, "Never Stop"

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (09/30/87)

In article <IVLm1Sy00V4AAN00El@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>I've been reading messages in the Fidonet Amiga discussion group about an
>impending release of AmigaDOS 1.3 by Commodore.  All sorts of rumors were
>flying around about being able to boot off hard disk, faster HD access,
>faster, better printer drivers, etc. etc.

>I realize that Commodore staff can't comment on unreleased products, but a
>simple "no" or "ahem...can't comment about the 1.3 release due in late
>November" would be appreciated.

	Waddaya wanna spoil all the fun? These rumors are a heck of
a gas from where I sit... THere is essentially zippo mention of it on
BIX where the C= folks tend to hangout these days. There is some mention
(andy - a slip?) of version 1.2.1 which will allow hard disk booting and
of a new faster file system that grafts on top of theexisting methods
with a new mountlist command: "FileSystem = newfs" kinda thing...

Other than that I suspect the Fidonet stuff is wild imagining and
wishful thinking. Certainly I'm willing to make a single penny bet that
there won't be a 1.3 by christmas 87... (That means I figure it's a
reasonably sure thing - kinda like my ability to survive food that
burns out others tonsils. ie a sucker bet. Watchout when I offer a
nickle bet.  <^_-> )

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.