[comp.sys.amiga] BOBS

peter@dalcsug.UUCP (09/30/87)

Hi all,

I am trying to write an arcade type game (beserk) but cannot figure
out how to register BOB to background colisions (like walls, debris, etc).
I have no problem getting BOB to BOB or BOB to border crashes -- so
am I missing something obvious?
I have also thought about using VSPRITES but the problem of more than
8 per line will inevitably happen in this game and the BOBs are wider than
16 pixels ...

while i'm at it ...

Does anyone know the author of a little demo called LENS? (enlarged a portion
of the screen under the pointer) I would love to get ahold of the source
to see how the area is blown up so quickly, it is needed for a BOB/Image
editor I am working on (BobED v2.0) as my algorithm is pretty slugish.
While on the subject of BobED, would anyone find a use for a BOB/Image
editor (PD, of course), or do you all just use DPaint and one of the
utilities to get the image into code ??

Thanks,

Peter Philip
Dalhousie University
peter@dalcsug.UUCP

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (09/30/87)

In article <146@dalcsug.UUCP> peter@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:
>Hi all,
>While on the subject of BobED, would anyone find a use for a BOB/Image
>editor (PD, of course), or do you all just use DPaint and one of the
>utilities to get the image into code ??

Don't write a specific BOB editor.  Everyone has a favorite image editor,
and they all speak IFF (ILBM).

Write a separate image editor if you are so inclined.  Send the data
to your Bob generator via the clipboard.  The neat thing about multi-
tasking and file standards is that we can all pick our own tools, then
mix and match them as we please.

I'll use Dpaint ][.  What?  You say DPaint does not support the clipboard?
Shame on it.  I'll bet the Apple IIgoes-slow version does.  Perhaphs
they are waiting for a DOS handler interface to the clipboard.device.
"clip:"?

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, ENQ, SYN)
{o O} .
 (") 	bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
  U	How can you go back if you have not yet gone forth?

ewhac@well.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <146@dalcsug.UUCP> peter@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:
>I am trying to write an arcade type game (beserk)...
					   ^^^^^^
	Sorry, "Berserk" is Copyright 1987 by Leo L. Sch.....  Oh.  *THAT*
Bezerk.

>...but cannot figure
>out how to register BOB to background colisions (like walls, debris, etc).
>I have no problem getting BOB to BOB or BOB to border crashes -- so
>am I missing something obvious?

	Yes and no.  BOBs *are* the background.  If you draw into the
background using anything other than DrawGList(), the collision routines
won't know about it.  DrawGList() doesn't check the background before
drawing a BOB into it.

	There are two ways around this.  One is to write your own custom
blitter code (GAK!).  The other (off the top of my head) is to define your
walls, debris, etc. as a BOB, too, and never move it.  I have no idea how
much this will degrade performance.  But since your walls are now a BOB, you
can easily plug it into your collision handlers.

	Hope this helps.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac