[comp.sys.amiga] was= A1000->A2000 , is= SDP

perry@atux01.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (09/28/87)

In article <5245@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
> I will theorize that the reason that it hasn't come out is that you
> want people to boot from a hard disk, if your card did that, then it
> would not only be faster than the CBM HD controller, it would also
> let the user boot, which the CBM one will not.  Is that where it is at?
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740

Randy,
	I am happy to say the SDP's now DO in fact exist. We will have one
on display at AmiExpo in New York, October 10, 11, and 12. Part of the de-
lay was in fact waiting for  dust  to settle concerning hard disk booting.

	CBM has finalized a hard  disk  boot strategy and it will come out
in a later release (or  sub-release)  of the O.S. The only thing I can add
besides the fact that the SDP fully supports it, is that CBM did an excel-
lent job in the  design  of  a strategy which at the same time extends the
Autoconfig standard but is also completely in line with the existing stan-
dard's philosphy.

	I don't  know  if  anyone else's hard disk controller will support
the hard disk boot  standard but as time goes on, I am sure it will become
a required option.

	About your idea  that  we buy back other people's disk controllers
in trade for discounts on  the SDP,  well,  there really won't be a single
productive purpose we could put the traded in controllers to work in. With
memory boards, at least we could reuse the ram. With disk controllers, I'm
willing to bet our SDP does  not  share a single major component in common
with what would amount to be a pile of junk.

	However,  we  will provide SDP based support for every other manu-
facturer supplied disk drive (if it is possible - we'll do it).  In  every
case so far with one exception (the BBB disk controller), the  cost of the
drive dominates the cost of the controller. So toss away or sell your con-
troller and reuse the drive.

Perry Kivolowitz - ASDG Incorporated - (201) 563-0529

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (09/29/87)

In article <541@atux01.UUCP> perry@atux01.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:

>	CBM has finalized a hard  disk  boot strategy and it will come out
>in a later release (or  sub-release)  of the O.S. The only thing I can add
>besides the fact that the SDP fully supports it, is that CBM did an excel-
>lent job in the  design  of  a strategy which at the same time extends the
>Autoconfig standard but is also completely in line with the existing stan-
>dard's philosphy.

Now the way I understand this discussion is that the "standard" Amiga Hard
drive controller, the A2090, will not autoboot when this feature becomes
available?  For CBM to obsolete their own hardware is pretty ridiculous
and I find it hard to believe.

Could we have one of the techies at CBM answer this question:

	Will the A2090 allow Autoboot?

Considering I have an A2090 and a 40meg Miniscribe on it's way to me later
this week ($655, not a bad deal) I have a vested interest in the answer.

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <15145@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>In article <541@atux01.UUCP> perry@atux01.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>	Will the A2090 allow Autoboot?

Nope.  There's no driver ROM on the 2090 board; its driver is loaded
in from Workbench.  Thus, no Autoboot.

Just because a product is does not have a feature does not mean it is
obsolete.  The 2090 board has been ready for quite awhile.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (10/01/87)

In article <2434@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>>In article <15145@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>>	Will the A2090 allow Autoboot?
>
>Nope.  There's no driver ROM on the 2090 board; its driver is loaded
>in from Workbench.  Thus, no Autoboot.
>
>Just because a product is does not have a feature does not mean it is
>obsolete.  The 2090 board has been ready for quite awhile.

OK, 'obsolete' was a bad term, I hang my head low...

Of course having CBM's controller not auto-booting, makes for some confusing
and frustrating times.  Considering it will become the most wildly used one
(since most dealers will have this board in stock) it seems like a definite
deficiency.

An obvious fix is keeping the same Workbench disk in df0: all the time.  This
will have a startup that mounts the harddrive and assign everything over to
the harddrive.  This just seems more like a kludge.

Any chance of someone building an "auto-boot" tower for a A2090?
(What do I know, I haven't even got mine yet...  :-)