[comp.sys.amiga] Another Amiga competitor?

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (09/20/87)

I suppose I shouldn't really post an article comparing apples and oranges
but while paging through Byte the other day I felt much like when I first
caught a glimpse of the amiga in pre-amiga days. I'm refering to the preview
of the Acorn Archimedes series.

The Model 310 they reviewed had 1 meg of ram, 1 3.5" 800k disk, detached
keyboard, 512k rom (including a basic interpreter), 640*512 with 256 of 4096
colors, 8 channel stereo sound, par:, ser:, mouse, comp out, rgb analog out.
programable video can produce 1024*1024 monochrome.

Their 300 series will allow a 2 slot module to be added. The 400's have 4 slots
and allow coprocessors. Both machines come with a proprietary risc processor.
The os (arthur) is not multitasking, although the editor allows background
compiles.

Benchmarks from the article are as follows:

BYTE BASIC Benchmarks in seconds:
			write	read	sieve	calculations
A310			15.8	15.6	7.9	3.2
Compaq deskpro 386      25.0	24.0	21.0	6.8

BYTE C Benchmarks in seconds
			A310	386	MacSE with Hypercharger
Fib			52.4	53.1	71.6
Seive			5.7	6.0	14.9
Sort			10.0	5.6	20.6
Savage			91.2	21.5	8.8
Dhrystones per sec	4901	3748	2176

Acorn is owned by Olivetti, who is in cahoots with AT&T.

Yet another amiga-like machine possibly coming out... looks interesting to me.

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!dave    {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd1@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133   \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: 3200 N Cramer #E380, Milw WI 53211

In article <2901@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
> The os (arthur) is not multitasking, although the editor allows background
> compiles.

Another Atari ST or Mac competitor, then. If the O/S isn't multitasking it's
not in the same market as the Amiga. I bought this machine because I couldn't
afford a Sun, not because I wanted a pocket Cray.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?

sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) (09/27/87)

In article <812@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <2901@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>> The os (arthur) is not multitasking, although the editor allows background
>> compiles.
>
>Another Atari ST or Mac competitor, then. If the O/S isn't multitasking it's
>not in the same market as the Amiga. I bought this machine because I couldn't
>afford a Sun, not because I wanted a pocket Cray.

In the Byte article describing the machine, they say it has the capability
for VM and demand paging. The particular chip was called the MEMF chip,
and, as they put it, "..it translates between logical and physical
addresses to give a 32-megabyte logical address space. It provides memory
protection with 3 levels of access privilege: supervisor mode, operating
system mode, and user mode."  As was stated, the proprietary system doesn't
multitask, but this machines *seems* to have a reasonable potential for
running real Unix, where the Amiga does not (I've had one, and know it's
problems, so let's not debate it :-). Plus the machine appears to be over
four times faster than an Amiga or ST. On the other hand, it may never reach
the U.S.
--
	Sid Grange
	sid@chinet

jmh@eagle.UUCP (09/29/87)

In article <1630@chinet.UUCP> sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) writes:

>	[... multitasking with the Acorn Archimedes ...]
>
>In the Byte article describing the machine, they say it has the capability
>for VM and demand paging.....
>... As was stated, the proprietary system doesn't
>multitask, but this machines *seems* to have a reasonable potential for
>running real Unix ...

A potted background. As many of you will know, Acorn are the company
behind the BBC Micro, a successful family of 6502-based micros (well,
successful over here). Two models under the Archimedes flag have been
introduced so far, the 300 and 400. The 300 has been blessed with the
BBC tag, the 400 is sold as an Acorn machine ; both models are similar,
but the 400 includes hardware FPU option, co-processor bus, HDC and
greater RAM capacity. The current OS, Arthur, is very similar to the
OS on the BBC range. It is not multitasking.

Facts. Acorn have been developing their own Unix look-alike (ARX)
at their California R&D site. They have hinted at an Archimedes
model 500 running said ARX, targeted at the engineering/workstation
market.

Now some speculation. Believe this at your peril - it may well be
a load of dingos' kidneys.

Arthur was produced to satisfy the 'I want a fast Beeb' market.
For the rest of us, ARX in some form or other will appear on the
400, which is currently selling at the 1500 quid level. Acorn
will neither confirm or deny this - their salesthings are under
threat of castration if they even talk about it. My guess is that,
having produced Arthur, their development effort is currently
directed at getting Unix running. They certainly don't seem
too bothered about the future direction of Arthur ; it seems
Arthur is capable of multitasking, but the windowing system isn't.
Acorn haven't got round to deciding whether to rectify this in a
later release.

I'm hoping for an Arch 400 running ARX in the foreseeable future. By which
time I might even be able to afford one.

Usual disclaimers/trademarks. BBC, it seems, is not an international
trademark of the British Broadcasting Corporation, but it is to that
august institution I refer.
--
Jim Hague       UUCP: ..!mcvax!ukc!jmh		Failure has gone to his
		TG:   72:MAG10135		head. - Wilson Mizner.

peter@sugar.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <1630@chinet.UUCP>, sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) writes:
>                               As was stated, the proprietary system doesn't
> multitask, but this machines *seems* to have a reasonable potential for
> running real Unix, where the Amiga does not (I've had one, and know it's
> problems, so let's not debate it :-).

No argument. But, funny as it may seem, I don't want to run a third party
operating system... even UNIX. I'm sure you're as aware as I am of the
resounding success of such products (let's see... UNIX on the PDP-11 is
a hit in certain technical markets, but that's about it). I want to be able
to sell any programs I come up with. Right now the Amiga is the only machine
with an acceptable native O/S aimed at the home market.

I mean, if I wanted to run UNIX an IBM-PC/AT is much cheaper.

>                                       Plus the machine appears to be over
> four times faster than an Amiga or ST.

True, and a palpable hit. But then, the 68020 improves the Amiga's speed by
a factor of at least 3 for CPU-intensive computation. Disk-intensive stuff is
going to be I/O bound anyway.

>                                        On the other hand, it may never reach
> the U.S.

Sigh. Anyone remember the Torch XXX? I lusted in my heart for that one. What
the Amiga/Mac/ST should have been.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.