[comp.sys.amiga] Programs needing NoFastRam

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (09/29/87)

Having just got my Amiga 2000 I've been running up against
the problem of having FastRam on this system.  So far I've come
across two programs (Deluxe Print and Little Computer People)
that require only ChipRam and must have the NoFastRam program running.

I realize or assume that this is primarily a cause of having developed
software under V1.1 of kickstart.

I was wondering if anyone knows of additional titles that fall into this
catagory and if there are any unique ways around it.

With respect to Little Computer People, I found that if I first Boot up
the system with Workbench V1.2 that came with my A2000 and then Double
clicked the NoFastRam icon in the system draw.  And then in an open Cli
window typed "LCP:Pet" the program would be executed when the disk was
inserted into the disk drive.

With respect to Deluxe Print, I had enough room to copy NoFastRam

DoD workers take longer and sometimes do it right.

Lance Holmes
Raytheon Co. MSD
Bedford Ma.

amiguy@pnet01.CTS.COM (Sean Wolfe) (10/01/87)

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
>Having just got my Amiga 2000 I've been running up against
>the problem of having FastRam on this system.  So far I've come
>across two programs (Deluxe Print and Little Computer People)
>that require only ChipRam and must have the NoFastRam program running.
>
>I realize or assume that this is primarily a cause of having developed
>software under V1.1 of kickstart.
>
>I was wondering if anyone knows of additional titles that fall into this
>catagory and if there are any unique ways around it.
>Lance Holmes
Having a lot of Old 1.1 programs (mostly games) and not wanting to switch KS
everytime I wanted to go between a 1.1 and a 1.2 program I found the solution.
There is a program on the boards called NOFAST . It turns off FASTRAM .
There are a lot of programs that run as tasks and turn off fastram, but these
are not effective on software that need to be booted or that take over the
machine.  But NOFAST is different.  You invoke NOFAST and the machine ReSets.
Then you continue as normal, but the system won't autoconfig. the fastram.
Now.. This works fine on the 1000, but I don't know if it will work on the
2000 as I don't have one.  I don't know how to upload files on this UseNet or
I would as it isn't very long... If you can't locate NOFAST.arc leave me
E-Mail....
                        AmiGuy
                        Sean Wolfe

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!amiguy
ARPA: crash!pnet01!amiguy@nosc.mil
INET: amiguy@pnet01.CTS.COM

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (10/02/87)

in article <1800@crash.CTS.COM>, amiguy@pnet01.CTS.COM (Sean Wolfe) says:

> Having a lot of Old 1.1 programs (mostly games) and not wanting to switch KS
> everytime I wanted to go between a 1.1 and a 1.2 program I found the solution.
> There is a program on the boards called NOFAST . It turns off FASTRAM .
> There are a lot of programs that run as tasks and turn off fastram, but these
> are not effective on software that need to be booted or that take over the
> machine.  But NOFAST is different.  You invoke NOFAST and the machine ReSets.
> Then you continue as normal, but the system won't autoconfig. the fastram.
> Now.. This works fine on the 1000, but I don't know if it will work on the
> 2000 as I don't have one.  I don't know how to upload files on this UseNet or
> I would as it isn't very long... If you can't locate NOFAST.arc leave me
> E-Mail....
>                         AmiGuy
>                         Sean Wolfe

This may not work as well on an A2000 or A500 with 512K expansion card as it
does for a normal A1000 with external expansion RAM.  It depends on exactly
what the NOFAST program does.

The basic mechanism these programs use is that the re-start the system ROM
(or the KickStart code in RAM on an A1000).  They just shut things down and
jump back to the start of ROM.  And this shuts down every expansion board.
The reason being that expansion boards, once configured, stay in their
configured state until a hardware reset comes along.  However, the system
software can only recognize unconfigured boards, which it then configures.
If I use the C-A-A reset, I generate a hardware reset, but this scheme of
jumping to the start of ROM can avoid any hardware resets, so none of your
expansion stuff gets recognized.

What's special about the A2000 or internally expanded A500 is the RAM at
$C00000.  This RAM is a motherboard resource, as opposed to an expansion
bus resource, so it isn't recognized via the autoconfiguration mechanism,
but much earlier in the start-up process with a simple RAM test.  If the
NOFAST program takes this into account by skipping this RAM test, then
it will work just as well as on the A1000; otherwise, that extra 512K of
NON-CHIP memory will be recognized.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <2451@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <1800@crash.CTS.COM>, amiguy@pnet01.CTS.COM (Sean Wolfe) says:
>>
>> There is a program on the boards called NOFAST...
>
>This may not work as well on an A2000 or A500 with 512K expansion card...

I'd like to point out that some of the earlier NOFAST type programs
did not do a very good job.  Some would get loaded into fast memory
themselves, allocate all the fast memory chunk-by-chunk, then exit.
Problem is that leaves a gaping hole free.  Other holes can show
up as time goes on.

The authoratative solution is NoFastMem.  It does the correct thing
by SetFunction()ing the allocate vectors.  There is a tiny, sticky,
moral issue in that Commodore has not offered it for sale yet.
It comes as part of the A500/A2000 Workbench.

(Gack!  I broke the law!  I ran it on two Amigas at the same time! 1/2 :-)

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, ENQ, SYN)
{o O} .
 (") 	bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
  U	How can you go back if you have not yet gone forth?