[comp.sys.amiga] where to get DBW_Render V2.0

sdl@linus.UUCP (10/02/87)

A few days ago, I posted a request for details on how the SCAN command
of DBW_Render V2.0 worked.  Well, I didn't get any responses, so I
guess I'll write Mr. Baldridge (the author/distributor) directly.

However, a number of people have asked me what DBW_Render V2.0
contains, and how they can get a copy.  So I decided to post this
short description.

DBW_Render V2.0 is the new version of Dave Wecker's DBW_Render PD ray
tracing program.  William Baldridge is now handling distribution (his
name is on the copyright license) because of Dave Wecker's troubles
with his employer.

The following is a summary of new features in the various DBW_Render
V2.0 modules.  It is paraphrased from the user's manual:

RAY:   Consistent top level user interface that runs all other modules.
RAY0:  New high level input language with macros (full compiler).  No,
	there is no object editor (yet).  Text, objects of rotation &
	translation are supported.
RAY1:  SUPERQUADRIC objects.  IFF image tiling textures.  Images up to
	1024 x 1024.  Up to 24 bits per pixel (I still haven't figured
	out how to do this, however).  Two "sketch" modes (I haven't
	figured this out either).  Removed "pixel guessing" for more
	accurate pictures.
RAY2:  Overscan images.  Postscript output.
RAY3:  Complete rewrite of DISPLAY program; supports overscan images.

DBW_Render V2.0 can be obtained from:
	William T. Baldridge
	2650 Sherwood Lane
	Pueblo, CO  81005

A contribution of $36 is suggested.  This will get you on the
distribution list for bug fixes and future software announcements.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

kim@amdahl.UUCP (10/04/87)

In article <14384@linus.UUCP>, sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

> A few days ago, I posted a request for details on how the SCAN command
> of DBW_Render V2.0 worked.
>
> However, a number of people have asked me what DBW_Render V2.0
> contains, and how they can get a copy.
>
> DBW_Render V2.0 can be obtained from:
>         William T. Baldridge
>         2650 Sherwood Lane
>         Pueblo, CO  81005
>
> A contribution of $36 is suggested.  This will get you on the
> distribution list for bug fixes and future software announcements.

Well, yes and no.  The flyer I received announcing v2.0 states:

"Requested contributions for NEW users is $36.00.  For registered
 users of V1.0 the requested contribution REMAINS at $18.00."

The announcement also states that sources are not being released for the
time being.  Presumably, this may or may not change, depending on the
resolution of the problem between Dave and DEC's pond-slime staff (lawyers).

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim