[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with Compress

Will people who compress stuff for distribution PLEASE use 12-bit. 16-bit
uses a huge amount of memory and may not even be available on small machines
like PDP-11s and Intels.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?

brianc@cognos.uucp (Brian Campbell) (09/24/87)

In article <780@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
! Will people who compress stuff for distribution PLEASE use 12-bit. 16-bit
! uses a huge amount of memory and may not even be available on small machines
! like PDP-11s and Intels.

   Don't suck Intel machines into this -- 16-bit compress is available for
both DOS and Xenix.  It also saves a considerable (meaning not negligible)
amount of space.  Try as I might, I just can't feel sorry for you.  Surely
you have access to some machine that can do 16-bit uncompresses?
--
Brian Campbell        uucp: decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!brianc
Cognos Incorporated   mail: POB 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, K1G 3Z4

>In article <780@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>! Will people who compress stuff for distribution PLEASE use 12-bit. 16-bit
>! uses a huge amount of memory and may not even be available on small machines
>! like PDP-11s and Intels.
>
>   Don't suck Intel machines into this -- 16-bit compress is available for
>both DOS and Xenix.  It also saves a considerable (meaning not negligible)
>amount of space.  Try as I might, I just can't feel sorry for you.  Surely
>you have access to some machine that can do 16-bit uncompresses?

	The problem is that the 16 bit compress needs 300-400K of working
space and people with 512K Amiga's can't use it.  I used 12 bit compress on
my amiga until I expanded to 2 Meg, then switched to 16 bit compress.  Even
with 2 Meg the system can sometimes get fragmented in such a way that
compress can't allocate enough contiguous storage.

	However, 16 bit compress is a defacto standard for the ArpaNet
anyway and usually all that's available on major nodes unless you want to
go off and recompile it.  Anybody intending a personal computer distribution,
though, should use the 12 bit compress.  (But hell, forget compress... if
doing a personal computer distribution use ARC or something).

				-Matt

satan@geac.UUCP (The Big One Himself) (09/27/87)

In article <1493@cognos.UUCP> brianc@cognos.UUCP (Brian Campbell) writes:
>In article <780@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>! Will people who compress stuff for distribution PLEASE use 12-bit. 16-bit
>! uses a huge amount of memory and may not even be available on small machines
>! like PDP-11s and Intels.
>
>   Don't suck Intel machines into this -- 16-bit compress is available for
>both DOS and Xenix.  It also saves a considerable (meaning not negligible)
>amount of space.  Try as I might, I just can't feel sorry for you.  Surely
>you have access to some machine that can do 16-bit uncompresses?
>--
>Brian Campbell        uucp: decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!brianc
>Cognos Incorporated   mail: POB 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, K1G 3Z4
>(613) 738-1440        fido: sysop@163/8

Sorry Brian, not all of us are on the fed's gravy train with access to ATs
and RTs and other expensive new hardware, we must cope with DOS or Venix on
PCs or XTs, or else old PDP-11s.  None of which support 16-bit compress

By the way, locating a friendly site with a set of tools can sometime be
a big problem when the overall gain of transferring a 12-bit compressed
image versus a 16-bit image is very small (not negigilbe but small).  Since
you indicate that the request is an imposition, please post your sources
for your wonderful compress, otherwise, you should, perhaps, switch feet
before venting any frustration you might be experiencing.

--
(__|__)

   |        What's a soul anyway --- you hardly know its there!

cc1@ucla-cs.UUCP (09/28/87)

12 bit compress is availible on all machines with compress.

compress -b 12 files

will work just fine.

Incidently, I compared 14 bit compress (needed 256K stack:-) with 12 bit.
No significant change in space, major change in CPU time. Maybe I just got
unlucky.
			Michael
   The opinions represented here are a result of being educated at a
school that discriminates againts roosters. Only the birds are responsible.

johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) (09/28/87)

Some of us unfortunate souls are stuck running Xenix on 8086 based machines
(mine is Compaq Deskpro).  When I get out of school I will be able to afford
a real computer.  Until then, or until I can find a buyer for this machine,
I am stuck with maximum user processes of 399k.  So, yes, please stick to
12-bit compresses.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

In article <8709271656.AA01246@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> >In article <780@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >! Will people who compress stuff for distribution PLEASE use 12-bit. 16-bit
> >! uses a huge amount of memory and may not even be available on small machines
> >! like PDP-11s and Intels.
>
> 	However, 16 bit compress is a defacto standard for the ArpaNet
> anyway and usually all that's available on major nodes unless you want to
> go off and recompile it.  Anybody intending a personal computer distribution,
> though, should use the 12 bit compress.  (But hell, forget compress... if
> doing a personal computer distribution use ARC or something).

Compress has a -b switch that allows you to specify 12 or some other random
number of bits.  I've had this pain before, having to uucp files back and
forth between machines just to uncompress them...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (10/02/87)

As quoted from <1488@geac.UUCP> by satan@geac.UUCP (The Big One Himself):
+---------------
| In article <1493@cognos.UUCP> brianc@cognos.UUCP (Brian Campbell) writes:
| >In article <780@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
| >! Will people who compress stuff for distribution PLEASE use 12-bit. 16-bit
| >! uses a huge amount of memory and may not even be available on small machines
| >! like PDP-11s and Intels.
| >
| >   Don't suck Intel machines into this -- 16-bit compress is available for
| >both DOS and Xenix.  It also saves a considerable (meaning not negligible)
| >amount of space.  Try as I might, I just can't feel sorry for you.  Surely
| >you have access to some machine that can do 16-bit uncompresses?
|
| Sorry Brian, not all of us are on the fed's gravy train with access to ATs
| and RTs and other expensive new hardware, we must cope with DOS or Venix on
| PCs or XTs, or else old PDP-11s.  None of which support 16-bit compress
+---------------

Nor are small machines alone.  Ncoast has fried its cache chips a few times
as a result of 16-bit compresses... 68000, NOT an Intel or PDP-11!
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

In article <1493@cognos.UUCP>, brianc@cognos.uucp (Brian Campbell) writes:
> In article <780@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> ! Will people who compress stuff for distribution PLEASE use 12-bit. 16-bit
> ! uses a huge amount of memory and may not even be available on small machines
> ! like PDP-11s and Intels.
>    Don't suck Intel machines into this -- 16-bit compress is available for
> both DOS and Xenix.

Xenix 286, yes. Not on the 8088, though. And it still takes up something
in the vicinity of half a meg to hold the tables for 16 bit compression.

> It also saves a considerable (meaning not negligible)
> amount of space.  Try as I might, I just can't feel sorry for you.  Surely
> you have access to some machine that can do 16-bit uncompresses?

I do now... a Xenix 286 machine. I can also run it on my Amiga if I throw
away ALL other programs and libraries, a rather distasteful action.

Since the posting I'm talking about was a bunch of compressed Amiga images
it's a bit strange. At the very least people should refrain from 16bit
compressing data intended for machines with under half a meg of free RAM
easily available.

A couple of jobs back I was restricted to machines with 128K maximum
code+data.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.