[comp.sys.amiga] Flight Simulator 1.1

cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (10/04/87)

	Well I finally managed to obtain an Apple II analog joystick.  I
examined the schematics of an analog joystick (this was really hard to find out)
for the Apple II then compared it to the Amiga's analog joystick as described
in the Hardware Reference Manual.  They were virtually the same except for the
fire buttons.  I therefore managed a conversion without even opening the joystick
casing  Then came the exciting part.  I turned on Flight Simulator 1.1.  Press
'J' to put it in analog joystick mode and nothing. Up Down Left Right   Nothing.
Then I pushed the fire button down and moved the joystick Down and the planes
throttle started gliding up, I moved the joystick up and the throttle went
down.  That is all I was able to do.  Does anyone out there know how to make
an analog joystick that works with Flight sim 1.1?  Don't bother asking Sublogic
because even though they made the software and the joystick to test the software
they suddenly seemed to have forgotten how to make a joystick.  I talked to
one of their representatives.  He described the fact that a technician, who is
no longer with them, made a analog joystick out of a Kraft analog joystick
designed for the Apple II.

Help, anyone
                 			Wilson Cheung

harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (10/04/87)

In article <1152@vu-vlsi.UUCP>, cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) writes:
> Does anyone out there know how to make an analog joystick that works
> with Flight sim 1.1?

	I have gotten it to work. Make sure you plug the joystick in the
rear port. I haven't hooked the fire buttons up, so maybe there is a problem
here with an apple style joystick.

	I modified a Gravis MKVI controller for the apple, although it has
three 3-position switches to adapt to "other" machines which the instructions
don't tell you didly about. In my impatience, I hacked the male DB-9 connector
off, and wired a female from my very old and broken Atari 2600. I bought
this controller since it has a nice jet-like pistol grip and centering tension
adjustment.

	This joystick was definately a major boon to flying FSII V1.1. Let
go of the stick and it centers itself and the plane doesn't change attitude.

	The only complaint I have now is the sensitivity is not great. I
measured the resistance at the pins, and it's equal to about 0 to 150k.
FSII's sensitivity adjustment for the mouse doesn't work on the joystick.
I don't get full motion out of the stick, and so it tends to be a little
too sensitive. Changing the internal pots is a real mechanical hack.

	Anybody have better luck?

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of the CCI POWER 6/32)