[comp.sys.amiga] 6 MB floppy drives

Are these things for real ? Anybody seen/used one ?

Are they 3" or thereabouts ?

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

In article <1694@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Are these things for real ? Anybody seen/used one ?

>Are they 3" or thereabouts ?

What I really want to hear, is about a new controller that will let me take
my old CP/M 8" drives out of storage and get 6MB or so out of THEM. :-)

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (10/01/87)

Look on page 54 and 41 of October's Byte. It based on technology developed
by Kodak; one is produced by Pacific Micro Systems, the other by Verbatim.
   It uses "a special 5 1/4 disk". It is supposed to be able to read 3.3, 1.2
and 360 k disks. It will probably work just fine under a bridge card.
Formatted capacity is  5.5 megabytes.
   Price-- Internal $695   External $895    Disks are approximately $20 apiece.

Hal

cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (Les Kay) (10/03/87)

In article <1694@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Are these things for real ? Anybody seen/used one ?
>
>Are they 3" or thereabouts ?

I've just gotten the 5.25", 10meg floppy disk drives and they work fine on
both the Mac SE and MAC II - then I remebered the SCSI controller on my Ami
is compatible with Mac compitible drives...

Gee, having a 10med FLOPPY disk drive is soooooooooooo nice!  (35ms
access time too boot!)

(make that 10 meg, not med...)

Jonathan Bing, Master (cheeser)			...ihnp4!hoptoad!dasys1!cheeser
	      Time flys like an Arrow, Fruit Flies like Bananas!

keyman%doorway@Sun.COM (David Evans) (10/03/87)

Yep, they have 10MB floppys (oh my!!)

-Dave

(Yes, this is a very uninformative, but it is 5:33 in the morning on Sat. and
the person whose wife works for the company that makes these is not here.)

-Keyman

(oh, yeh... These are my opinions not Sun's (or anyone else))
UUCP: {ucbvax,decvax,allegra,decwrl,cbosgd,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!keyman
ARPA: keyman@sun.com

cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (10/04/87)

In article <1525@dasys1.UUCP>, cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (Les Kay) writes:
> In article <1694@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>
> I've just gotten the 5.25", 10meg floppy disk drives and they work fine on
> both the Mac SE and MAC II - then I remebered the SCSI controller on my Ami
> is compatible with Mac compitible drives...
>
> Gee, having a 10med FLOPPY disk drive is soooooooooooo nice!  (35ms
> access time too boot!)

   I would be just a bit skeptical about the reliability of 10 Megs squished
unto 5-1/4 floppy disk media.  Handle with care don't want to shake up too
many ferrous particles.

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (10/04/87)

In article <1154@vu-vlsi.UUCP> cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) writes:
>   I would be just a bit skeptical about the reliability of 10 Megs squished
>unto 5-1/4 floppy disk media.  Handle with care don't want to shake up too
>many ferrous particles.

Well, don't put this one in the bank just yet, but if this is the
vertical encoding technique finally bearing fruit, then the word back
when it was still a lab curiosity was that due to the physics of
magnetic domains, the vertically encoded ones should be much MORE
stable than the horizontal ones we see go bad with distressing
familiarity.

Now for a gripe.  With cost of media running around $20 anyway, why
the heck didn't they use, even in a 5.25 inch size, the vastly
superior 3.5 inch packaging style?  Can't count the munber of 5.25
inch disks I've folded in half trying to stick them into the drive on
a bias.

Kent, the man from xanth.

		His expression lit up.  "Hey, you wouldn't be
		a dope smuggler, would you?"

		Rail looked confused.  "Why would anyone wish
		to smuggle stupidity when there is so much of
		it readily available?"

			-- Alan Dean Foster, GLORY LANE