[comp.sys.amiga] Comments/Observations of the A2000 || really filesystems

In article <1188@s.cc.purdue.edu> doc@s.cc.purdue.edu (Craig Norborg) writes:

>    Well, I had the pleasure of fooling around on an Amiga 2000 quite a

How kinky. I tried it but kept falling off.

>bit in the past couple of weeks, and I thought I should share some of
>my comments on the machines and observations of its quirks, etc.
>    First off, I should probably explain the system I was working on.
>This was an Amiga 2000 with 3 Meg of memory, a 20 meg ST506 hard drive
>hooked onto the Amiga side with the new drive controller, and the
>Bridge card.
>    One of the first observations I had of this machine was the
>unfortunate occurance of trying to solve a problem.  It seems that a
>friend had created a 3Meg file on the hard drive (a 3d animation), and
>every time they tried to delete it, the machine started to, then
>promptly guru'd.  After trying everything we could think of, multiple
>versions of delete off different disks, programs that had delete built
>into them, even copying a file over it, we finally decided that the
>only way to get rid of this file was to reformat the hard drive.

I had what I think is a similar problem. I have 1000, one (gasp!) drive,
1.2 all pretty standard.

I have a floppy disk which pretty much stays in the drive most of the time.
It tends to range between 80 and 99% full. It's about a year old.

I noticed that I had two files with *exactly* the same filename. Odd
says I, so I try to delete one of them. I didn't care which one :-)

It seemed to delete one of them, but lo and behold the next time I tried
to get a directory it Guru'd. Curious.

I rebooted and got a directory. One, two, three four files listed and then Guru.How odd. I reboot and try to copy off the one file I really wanted from that
disk. Guru. Ok. I'm worried. I reboot and try to disk copy. Disk copy Gurus.

"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore"

After some late night high speed driving to a friends house who has 2 drives
I DiskSalv the thing and get it all back. Dave H: THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!

So what gives. Just a wild guess would be that the disk is *slightly*
corrupt. Ie, the first few things the O/S checks are ok - it looks like
a valid (whatever) entry, so it computes some addresses to point to stuff
in memory based on what it read from disk, but *something* is corrupt and
if phreaks. Are these things not checksummed ?

I still have the disk that gurus.

Any ideas ? Dale ? CATS ?

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

In article <1835@gryphon.CTS.COM> (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I noticed that I had two files with *exactly* the same filename. Odd
>says I, so I try to delete one of them. I didn't care which one :-)
>
>It seemed to delete one of them, but lo and behold the next time I tried
>to get a directory it Guru'd. Curious.

I sent this in as a bug report to C/A back during the Gamma 1 release
but they haven't fixed it yet :-). Basically, if you track down the
GURU number in the alerts.h file you will probably find that the
number is described as 'corrupt bitmap'. Which you might at first
think means a graphics bitmap, but in fact means the disk bitmap. The
clue is that the address given is the address for the file system handler
task. My contention to C/A was that a corrupt disk should be complained
about but the system should not crash. Anyway the fix is to find the
error in the disk structure and fix it with disked or some other disk
fixer program. Common errors that cause this problem :
	o Hash pointer pointing to an unititialized diskblock
	o Hash pointer with -1 or some other illegal block number in it
	o Two pointers pointing to the same file.

Things you can do with disked that are generally not nice :
	o Put a pointer to a valid amiga file in the *wrong* place in
	  the hash table. Dir shows the file but not one can delete it
	  (or find it for that matter).

	o Make a loop in a hash chain so that once you get that file you
	  loop forever in the directory list.

These are some of the things that a disk fixer utility has to fix. There
are several available.

--Chuck McManis