[comp.sys.amiga] Aargh!!!

bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (09/26/87)

Hi,

I just took delivery of an A500 yesterday from CMO (Computer Mail
Orders) in Williamsport PA.

I unpacked  it, and start  connecting everything up. It  all went
quite smoothly -- until the acid test .... starting it up.

According to the manual, I'm supposed  to be getting a picture of
hand with  a disk in it  -- prompting me to  insert the workbench
disk. Instead, the 'power' light on the keyboard is flashing, and
I get a blank green screen  on the monitor. At regular intervals,
the screen turns  light blue for a few seconds  before going back
to green.

Now, connecting this  thing up is as idiot proof  as you can get.
Everything  is  clearly  labelled. And  I've  connected  together
*lots* of stuff  before, with no problems.  Nevertheless, in case
it  is somehow  something obvious  that  I'm doing  wrong --  I'd
appreciate some advice.

Some time ago, someone posted a list of the possible colours that
the  Amiga  could  have  when it  started  up.  Apparently,  this
signified some  problem, etc. I  thought that I'd  squirreled the
article away -- but I can't find it now.

Anyhow,  I'd  appreciate any  informed  guesses  as to  what  the
problem is.  My configuration is  A500 + Goofy  looking prismatic
memory expansion that fits in the bottom (A501?) + 1080 monitor.

Thanks,

	Binayak

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (09/28/87)

In article <884@sjuvax.UUCP> bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I just took delivery of an A500 yesterday
>
>According to the manual, I'm supposed  to be getting a picture of
>hand with  a disk in it  -- prompting me to  insert the workbench
>disk. Instead, the 'power' light on the keyboard is flashing, and
>I get a blank green screen  on the monitor. At regular intervals,
>the screen turns  light blue for a few seconds  before going back
>to green.
>
>Some time ago, someone posted a list of the possible colours that
>the  Amiga  could  have  when it  started  up.

The green screen signifies bad RAM.  As your computer is still under warranty
it should be returned to the dealer.

Twas I what posted that thar color chart.

Hans

In article <884@sjuvax.UUCP> bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I just took delivery of an A500 yesterday from CMO (Computer Mail
> Orders) in Williamsport PA.
>
> I unpacked  it, and start  connecting everything up. It  all went
> quite smoothly -- until the acid test .... starting it up.
>
> According to the manual, I'm supposed  to be getting a picture of
> hand with  a disk in it  -- prompting me to  insert the workbench
> disk. Instead, the 'power' light on the keyboard is flashing, and
> I get a blank green screen  on the monitor. At regular intervals,
> the screen turns  light blue for a few seconds  before going back
> to green.
> Anyhow,  I'd  appreciate any  informed  guesses  as to  what  the
> problem is.  My configuration is  A500 + Goofy  looking prismatic
> memory expansion that fits in the bottom (A501?) + 1080 monitor.

It's broken!  Take it back and ask for one that works.  The green screen
indicates a memory problem, probably due to a chip wriggling out of its
socket when the unit was shipped via cement mixer.  This isn't particularly
hard to fix, but if there is a serious problem, better to start with a
clean slate...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

leekil@athena.mit.edu (Lee S Kilpatrick) (10/10/87)

In article <1086@omepd> hah@mipon3.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:

>Twas I what posted that thar color chart.
>
>Hans

Hans, could you possibly re-post that color chart?

Lee