[comp.sys.amiga] New B2000 and other stuff...

csc@orchid.UUCP (10/07/87)

Hi, I just got an Amiga B2000 (I think it said B2000) and I checked out
the key-board thing what I get is this: fro
There is no problem!

Also, my roomate has an Amiga 1000 so we made ourselves a nul modem
and tried Flight Simulator 1.1 at 57600 baud. All I can say is
BEAUTIFUL! It is, however, difficult to fly the thing correctly and
keep the other person in sight while in the air. (yes, i *do* have a
pilot's licence) A neat trick you can do on the ground is taxi
right through each other plane just like you can taxi through the hanger
wall in the WWI simulation mode. :-) <shades of twilight zone>

Important Question: how can I overload the kickstart in ROM with 1.1 so that
I can run things that don't like 1.2 ?  I am also wondering how it is going
to work with updates to kickstart? Will I be able to open up the case and
replace a chip, or will my boot get eventually slower as I have to load in
larger and larger pieces of kickstart 1.x (where x>2) ??
Sorry if this is a repeat of any questions previous.

(To Leo: amazing display hacks!)

--
Edwin (Deepthot)        Treasurer
Hoogerbeets             Computer Science Club

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (10/12/87)

In article <11057@orchid.waterloo.edu> csc@orchid.waterloo.edu (Computer Sci Club) writes:

>Important Question: how can I overload the kickstart in ROM with 1.1 so that
>I can run things that don't like 1.2 ?  I am also wondering how it is going
>to work with updates to kickstart? Will I be able to open up the case and
>replace a chip, or will my boot get eventually slower as I have to load in
>larger and larger pieces of kickstart 1.x (where x>2) ??
>Sorry if this is a repeat of any questions previous.

  In the latest issue of Amusing Confusion (Amazing Computing) there is a add
  from "Michigan Software" (313/348-4477) for "Multi-Start".

  Here is the add:

 "Compatibility Enhancer for the A500 and A2000, Multi Start lets you run all
  the old Amiga programs like the Transformer, Archon, Skyfox, Public Domain
  software and more. Multi Start puts the Amiga V1.1 operation system in ROM,
  now you can enjoy the same Software compatibility as all A1000 owners. It's
  user installable, no soldering or trace cutting. Switch from 1.2 to 1.1 or
  1.1 to 1.2 using Amiga keyboard, no software to run!            Only 129.95"

  To set the record straight, I have no connection with Michigan Software or
  Amusing Confusion (except as a reader). I have not spoken with Michigan
  Software about the Multi Start, and I know of no one who has or owns one. So
  what all this means is -> FYI only <- proceed with caution as required :-)

--
   Dan Schein			 	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore Business Machines		or: {allegra|burdvax}!cbmvax!schein