[comp.sys.amiga] Advice sought: playing Defender of the Crown

cosell@cosell.bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (10/11/87)

With the arrival of my 2000 I have been shuffling through my stacks
of mostly-unused disks and I came across DotC.  I bought it on the
basis of its glowing reviews (what, a year or so ago?) but I was
generally disappointed.  The graphics were stunning, as predicted,
but I've NEVER been able to figure out the game.  Seems to be one
of those games for which my mind is just not organized properly:
I have no clue how to pursue the game or what sorts of tactics are
good/bad.  Mostly I play it for a while, the damn cities rapidly
change to the colors of the other folk and I quietly lose, with
my having no idea what I should be doing to stem the tide, much less
make any progress.

I'd appreciate some pointers about how generally you approached this
game.  Thanks!

  /Bernie\

[ my apologies if you received this posting twice, I tried to cancel the
first copy, but I'm not sure if it all worked..]

Bernie Cosell                       Internet:  cosell@bbn.com
Bolt, Beranek & Newman, Inc         USENET:    bbn.com!cosell
Cambridge, MA   02238               Telco:     (617) 497-3503

lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) (10/12/87)

In article <5272@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>I'd appreciate some pointers about how generally you approached this
>game.  Thanks!

Ok, keep in mind I'm doing this from memory, but...

The object is to conquer Englands many territories one by one 'till you
rule the whole island.

I usually play either Wolfric the Wild (GREAT JOUSTING) or ummm..whats the
clean-shaven one with strong sword skill???? Pick that one.

At the start of the game, read the map many times, check out all of the territ-
ories around you, usually the ones towards the center are the richest. You want to get the ones with the most Gold-per-month and vassals as possible. At the
start you probably want to grab the middle ones first, then back off and let
the others fight over ownership.  Go for the lands with the max. # of vassals,
because they are equal to gold since they convert to soldiers. As soon as you
have gathered up all of the territories around you (note that you want to spend
most of your gold on raw troops at first, leaving 6 back at home plus a knight,
with only a couiple more knights to occompany you in your campaign army.

Once all of the territories have been grabbed, the strategy begins.  If you are
Wolfric you'll want to hold some jousting tournaments.  If you are the one with
strong swordsmanship, NEVER hold jousts because you'll lose every time.

Your main trick is to check out the other guys castles and see who has the
weakest swordsmanship, then go raiding.

After raiding a time or 2, start building your champaign army heavily. Go to the

weakest looking main castle of one of the Normans. BUy a catpult just before you attack and then smash down the casle walls and begin a fierce attack.
Remeber to leave at least a dozen men at home to defend your castle.  By
defeating the Normans and conquering the home castles, you gain not only that
space, but all the lands owned by that person. This is the key.

During your rise to power, if you own the lands between your home and the green
patch representing Sherwood Forest, you can move your campaign armies there,
and meet up with Robin Hood. 3 times he'll aid you, supplying soldiers and
knights to aid you in your next battle.

Also there will be damsels in distress. Save as many as you can, as they are
fun to have (!) and also raise your charisma with the troops.

Call me if you stiil need help.

--
	Lawrence H. Brown
USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!cdf!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@cdf.apctrc.uucp (?)