[comp.sys.amiga] MS Rumors

ugfeldmn@sunybcs.uucp (Jon Feldman) (10/11/87)

Has anyone besides myself heard rumours of Microsoft negotiating with C=
in terms of putting out some of their stuff for the Amiga?  A co-worker,
a few months ago, said he had spoken to MS's sales reps and they had hinted
at Word 3.0 for the Amiga.

It'd be REALLY nice, being that I got spoiled on Word 3.0 on the Mac I worked
on, and I haven't been satisfied with a word processer since.  ;-)

Andy, Paul, IS this true?  Is there ANY negotiation (somewhat sucessfull, that
is) between CBM and MS?  Even if there isn't, it would be a Good Idea.

Jon Feldman   arpa:   ugfeldmn@joey.cs.buffalo.edu                     _----_
	      BitNet: ugfeldmn@sunybcs   	   	              / .  . \
"Time isn't holding us, time isn't after us ... same as it ever was." (	  l  )
	        		        - David Byrne            ^-----`__o_'
. .  .   .     .      .       .        .       .      .     .    .   .  . .

In article <5798@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfeldmn@joey.UUCP (Jon Feldman) writes:
>                                                       ...  A co-worker,
> a few months ago, said he had spoken to MS's sales reps and they had
> hinted at Word 3.0 for the Amiga.

This is a combination of two things, first I saw the Amiga 500 ad on
TV last night, it was shown during the show 'Siskel & Ebert At The Movies'
and it is easily the best Ad to come out of Commodore yet. And the fact
that this particular show is always fairly high in the ratings makes me
think that quite a few people saw it (or will see it when the play the
tape :-)). That makes me feel good about C= promises to increase the
marketing coverage for this machine at least. When they can do that for
the 2000 as well, I won't have to explain every time what an Amiga is
when I mention it to someone. This ad and the promo must be helping
sales, which brings up the next point ...

In the latest developers newsletter there was a graphic showing projected
Amiga sales for calendar '87. It predicted that by Dec 31st there would
be 500,000 Amigae in the world (about half in the US). Personally, I was
skeptical, but as time went on and the local dealer kept selling out of
Amiga 500's and 2000's I became less so. Now Gail Wellington on BIX mentioned
they had sold out their inventory on 2000's. Because she mentioned this I
cannot help but suspect (no proof mind you) that they are selling over
their projected plan. This is good, and for companies like Microsoft who
have already bit the 68K bullet to port to the Mac, it represents a lot
of revenue that they could be making. If C= sells one more Amiga than plan
then the LucasFilm people will have to round to 1 :-). All in all, every
100,000 Amigae induces one more major software vendor to consider a port
of their code to the architecture.

It should be a very nice christmas all around, assuming they can keep the
production levels up (which is something C= seems to do very well).

--Chuck McManis