[comp.sys.amiga] Defective Mouse

s_schmidt@otofs.dec.com (STU SCHMIDT F.S. NATIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER DTN 633-3762) (10/08/87)

I have a veerry irritating problem with my Amiga Mouse.  The left
button is intermittent.  Simple problem...should be a simple fix,
right?  It seems that Commodore does not sell any parts for the mouse,
even to their dealers.  This means that the only way to get a new left
mouse button is to exchange the mouse...a mere $60.00 here in Canada.
Seems a little steep for a $.50 micro switch.

The problem is, that without some kind of information on the switch
itself, (i.e. manufacturer, part #, etc.) I am not having any luck finding
a replacement.

I seem to recall someone mentioning that there was an article in Amazing
Computing documenting this exact problem with a part # and source for a
replacement switch.  Has anyone seen it??  Can anyone else out there
shed some light?  How about any manufacturing folks from CBM??

Thanks,

Stu Schmidt
Digital
Voice: 613-723-3762

hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (10/09/87)

The article in Amazing Computing was written by Gerald (Jerry) Hull.
He found a way to build up epoxy resin on top of the switch inside
the mouse to put more pressure on the switch when it got old/worn out,
however this wasn't a totally final solution to the problem. He also
suggested desoldering the switch, rotating it 180 deg, and soldering
it back in again so that the "other side" of the little contacts
could get used. I know a few people who've done this but they say this
fix doesn't last very long. I guess when these switches wear out,
they're pretty much shot.

Jerry sent me a replacement switch months ago which I still haven't
installed in my crippled mouse (I since bought another mouse, US$60
at a SoCal Amiga dealer), so now I have two meese, but one lives in
a drawer hibernating till I can get some nice person to solder the
switch into it for me. (I'd be more dangerous than the Terminator
with a soldering gun in my hand).

The switch I was sent has this stamped on the bottom of it:

                    +-------------+
                    | B          X|
                    |   OMRON     |
                    |             |
                    |   B 3 F     |
                    |             |
                    |    8 4      |
                    +-------------+

Is "Omron" a microswitch mfr? I dunno. Also no idea where you'd get
these, or what kind of qty you'd have to buy but after eyeballing it
it looks like an exact replacement for the switches inside the mice.

Harv Laser
PeopleLink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (10/09/87)

In article <11789@decwrl.DEC.COM> s_schmidt@otofs.dec.com (STU SCHMIDT F.S. NATIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER DTN 633-3762) writes:
>I have a veerry irritating problem with my Amiga Mouse.  The left
>button is intermittent.  Simple problem...should be a simple fix,

It might be a fatigued cable rather than the switch.  Try lopping off three inches
and resoldering, at the mouseward end of the cable.  It's awkward and may not
work but it's worth trying to save $60.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

In article <11789@decwrl.DEC.COM> s_schmidt@otofs.dec.com

>The problem is, that without some kind of information on the switch
>itself, (i.e. manufacturer, part #, etc.) I am not having any luck finding
>a replacement.

Uhh, yes. My (17 month) son seems to think Amiga mice are where you
put orange juice, and despite my careful cleaning, its just not what
it used to be. Part numbers please.

Also strain relief for the keyboard cable would have been a nice touch, ala
the Bell 'Contempra' phones.

I must say however, that I'm impressed that these are the only 'hard'
problems I've had in two years.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/11/87)

in article <11789@decwrl.DEC.COM>, s_schmidt@otofs.dec.com (STU SCHMIDT F.S. NATIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER DTN 633-3762) says:

> I have a veerry irritating problem with my Amiga Mouse.  The left
> button is intermittent.  Simple problem...should be a simple fix,
> right?  It seems that Commodore does not sell any parts for the mouse,
> even to their dealers.  This means that the only way to get a new left
> mouse button is to exchange the mouse...a mere $60.00 here in Canada.
> Seems a little steep for a $.50 micro switch.
                             ^^^^
Would you believe $0.36?

> The problem is, that without some kind of information on the switch
> itself, (i.e. manufacturer, part #, etc.) I am not having any luck finding
> a replacement.

How's this? There is a Panasonic switch listed in Digi-Key's catalog
that looks like the switch. The only catalog I could find handy is
dated Sept. 1986, so the price may be more than the 36 cents listed.

Super Thin Flat Knob
Digi-Key part # P9950
Panasonic part # EVQ-PXR04K
1         .36
10      $3.30
100    $30.00
1000  $250.00 (In case you really want to stock up! :-)

Digi-Key (800) 344-4539
	 (218) 681-6674
	 P.O. Box 677
	 Thief River Falls, MN 56701

If this works out for you, please let me know.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (10/13/87)

In article <1899@vax135.UUCP>, Charles Poirier (cjp@vax135.UUCP) writes:

> In article <11789@decwrl.DEC.COM>, Stu Schmidt (s_schmidt@otofs.dec.com)
> writes:
>> I have a veerry irritating problem with my Amiga Mouse.  The left
>> button is intermittent.  Simple problem...should be a simple fix,
>
> It might be a fatigued cable rather than the switch.  Try lopping off three
> inches and resoldering, at the mouseward end of the cable.  It's awkward
> and may not work but it's worth trying to save $60.

Don't start hacking too quickly!!  I have a similar problem with my mouse,
and it isn't the cable!!  There is a definite problem with the left mouse
button.

Not all clicks are recognized, and sometimes (just for variety) the switch
contacts bounce, giving me an unintentional double click.  I took the mouse
apart and was tempted to swap the buttons, but then I would likely get
unintentional menu selections -- even worse!

If someone finds out where the switches can be ordered, please let me know!

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver | cae780}!tektronix!videovax!stever