[comp.sys.amiga] Long Persistence Monitor Question

kim@amdahl.UUCP (10/03/87)

[ 'Yo, 'bro, 'yo line is fried! ]

I'm posting this for Pete Jordan here at Amdahl, who asks a question
that alot of us are interested in.

Also, I've heard various rumors of "scan-doublers" (or similar kinds
of h/w) that some people are supposed to be working on ... anyone know
anything more about such beasts?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <15518@> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>I'm posting this for Pete Jordan here at Amdahl...
>>
>> ...*The flickering problem is the only main thing that has caused me
>> many times to think about switching over to a MACII or to the IBM
>> compatible world.  I hope Commodore takes this complaint seriously.

I'd like to second that.  You seem to want a color interlace solution.
I'd settle for a monochrome one.  I have been keeping my eyes open for
a long-persistence monitor to hook to an A500.  Have not found it yet.

The last two times I have been in the local Amiga/Atari ST shop
I have witnessed people convinced to purchase an Amiga walk out with
an ST and the monochrome monitor -> for no other reason than nobody
could show them a flicker-free 400 line display.

Could anyone post part numbers and sources for LP monochrome monitors?
They should be cheap... I picked a smear-green screen a long time ago
for $79 or so; so far no luck repeating that feat.  (That was a
ultra low quality special, but you get the idea)

Perhaphs Commodore should issue a flyer to dealers with some suggested
monitors.  Commodore does not sell such a beast yet, and until then
it can only help sell 500 and 2000's to a segment of users that has
not been able to consider them before.

[The eventual solution in a multi-scanning capable chipset... even if it
does reduce the number of colors.  I'd sink considerable sums to get
704*464 flicker free.]

	Bryce (-: My 'brohs disk is 'fried :-) Nesbitt

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, ENQ, SYN)
{o O} .
 (") 	bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
  U	How can you go back if you have not yet gone forth?

bobb@tekfdi.TEK.COM (Robert Bales) (10/04/87)

In article <4122@zen.berkeley.edu> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:

>Could anyone post part numbers and sources for LP monochrome monitors?
>They should be cheap... I picked a smear-green screen a long time ago
>for $79 or so; so far no luck repeating that feat.  (That was a
>ultra low quality special, but you get the idea)

One man's experience. . . . About a month ago, I used Dpaint II in hi-res mode
with a two-color screen to draw some software charts for work. On my KV-1311,
this was barely tolerable with the proper choice of colors. However, when I
decided to take my Amiga to work, I didn't want to haul in the monitor. So I
used a ??-301, the common Amdek amber-screen monitor used with IBM's.
Although I could ocassionally note some flicker, I worked with this all day
without the eyestrain that I experience after staring at an interlaced color
display, even when the flicker is nearly subliminal. A very satisfactory
solution, although the sample Digi-view images I showed my co-worker did
leave something to be desired. :-)

I was usig black on white. Whenever the program modified the colors to bring
up a requester, the dot pattern caused by the chroma information was very
noticeable.

I have no idea what persistance phosphor is used in this monitor.

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

I help Tektronix make their instruments. They don't help me make my opinions.

amiguy@pnet01.CTS.COM (Sean Wolfe) (10/04/87)

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>In article <15518@> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>>I'm posting this for Pete Jordan here at Amdahl...
>>>
>>> ...*The flickering problem is the only main thing that has caused me
>>> many times to think about switching over to a MACII or to the IBM
>>> compatible world.  I hope Commodore takes this complaint seriously.

Have you ever seen a VCR recording or a composite picture of an interlaced
screen (flickering), well it turns out beautfully.  Most TV graphics (e.g. the
news) are interlaced. Interlace reproduces on tape better than normal
screens.A
Have you ever used a Jitter-Rid (tm.)? I have one and It almost completely
wipes out the flicker on the Amiga Monitor. It is just a thin piece of smoked
plexy-glas that covers the tube.  I suppose any piece of PlexyGlas would do
the trick.  It runs for appx. $13.  I would highly recommend it.

 Sean Wolfe
 AmiGuy
 Disclaimer : I have no affiliation with the makers of Jitter-Rid (tm.)

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!amiguy
ARPA: crash!pnet01!amiguy@nosc.mil
INET: amiguy@pnet01.CTS.COM

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>Also, I've heard various rumors of "scan-doublers" (or similar kinds
>of h/w) that some people are supposed to be working on ... anyone know
>anything more about such beasts?

My guess is you will be able to buy a scan doubler before you can buy an
Amiga Live! - And I saw Live! demonstrated at the show yesterday. They
even had some shipping boxes around the booth to prove they *could*
ship if they did anything *to* ship.

>/kim
>

>> Long Persistence Monitor Question
>>
>> I sure would like to ask Commodore a question on Usenet:
>>
>> I've recently heard some great things about the Microvitec Long
>> persistence monitor mated to the Amiga:
>>
>>                      14 inch screen
>>                      long persistence
>>                      not a multisync (standard 15.75)
>>                      $995 retail price. Computer Attic will sell them
>>                      for $899 (in Palo Alto).
>>                      Made in the U.K.
                            ^^^^
Uh-oh.

>> The Microvitec person I talked to (404-991-2246) said that Commodore
>> has unofficially said this monitor would be supported.  He even
>> dropped some Commodore names like Jeff Porter and Don Gilbrith (sp).
>> Microvitec is trying to talk Commodore into OEMing their monitor at
>> a good price of around $645.  But Commodore might decide to have one
>> made in the Far East to cut expenses more.  At any rate Microvitec
>> said that Commodore's long persistence monitor may not be ready for
>> about one year!

I have used these monitors (with certain brain damaged computer goods)
and they range from "well, ok" to "moderatly wretched".

They are BIG, run hot, break a lot, always need adjusting. For starters.

For a while there Microvitec was using an "IBM blue" phosphor (kind of a
0-12-15 looking blue) instead of "sky blue", or, what we would expect for
blue. As a result, nothing came out even close. Except IBM logo's.

Later ones have "true blue". Make sure you get the right one if you decide
you need one of these things.

>> My main question is:  Would this be a good deal or will Commodore
>> support some kind of scan doubler which would require a multisync
>> monitor?  I AM DESPERATE TO GET RID OF THIS FLICKERING CRAP*.  Thanks
>> for any advice short of getting fired because of releasing top secret
>> information!

In reality (good point, what *would* I know about that ?) you dont need
a multisync monitor to use a scan doubler. Just a monitor that can sync
up to the rate of the scan doubler output. But if you want one that will
work w/o the scan doubler, then yes, you want a multisync.

>> *The flickering problem is the only main thing that has caused me
>> many times to think about switching over to a MACII or to the IBM

Good God, man. There's no point in being irrational about this.

Forget the Microvitec. Remember the English can't build anything
that uses electricity or oil, and make it work.

The 'vitec is *right up there* with the Electrohome in terms of
outstanding color quality. Ie, none.

Buy a Sony Multi scan, and stick a Polaroid (tm) flicker ridder critter
in front of it. And when the scan doublers come out, you'll be one step
ahead of us all.

>> compatible world.  I hope Commodore takes this complaint seriously.
>>
>> Have a nice day.

Right.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (10/09/87)

In article <1758@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>My guess is you will be able to buy a scan doubler before you can buy an
>Amiga Live! - And I saw Live! demonstrated at the show yesterday. They

I recently posted a request for pointers to monitors that would accept
scan-doubler output. There were no responses. I assume that this means
that such an item may not be readily available. I did discover that
Tektronix has a system that may suit my needs, but most of you will
probably know that Tektronix means $$$ (and quality, of course).

I don't think that scan-doublers will be available until there are reasonably
priced monitors for them.

>Forget the Microvitec. Remember the English can't build anything
>that uses electricity or oil, and make it work.

Careful, you are being a little bit obnoxious here. I'll assume that
the :-) was implicit.					...sjk

--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (10/12/87)

In article <2472@dciem.UUCP> king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
>In article <1758@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I recently posted a request for pointers to monitors that would accept
>scan-doubler output. There were no responses. I assume that this means
>that such an item may not be readily available.

Any "multiscan" monitor will.  This means a NEC Multisync, Sony Multiscan
and a host of other random less well known brands.  Sony offers the
Multiscan with Amiga cable.  About 550 dollars.  (Sony is probably
the most expensive of the consumer multiscans).

>>My guess is you will be able to buy a scan doubler before you can buy an
>>Amiga Live!...

The "King of vaporware" proudly announced that he needs a new title.
Yes, Amiga LIVE! is shipping.  No kidding.  For a person who is not
already in the waiting line there will still be a backorder, however.

(They still did not get all the parts in from the supplier that was
to have built them.  I'm told you get a complete product except
for the A-squared logo... that will be mailed to you whenever they
get it.  Now the question is, can a prouct work without the logo
of it's manufacturer emblazoned on the side? :-) )

>>Forget the Microvitec. Remember the English can't build anything
>>that uses electricity or oil, and make it work.

Chunk McManis has a old Sun color monitor at Hacker's V3.0.  Color
was reasonable on a non interlace screen and low flicker for
interlace.  (I guess you would call it a "medium" persitence monitor)
The monitor spent two days playing "Front Line";  no smear problems
as far as the game went.  Only real problems are the thing is as
big as four 1080 monitors and you would probably need to purchase
it used (not an easy find).

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, ENQ, SYN)
{o O} .
 (") 	bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
  U	"...this will shoot the lips off a cockroch."

In article <4281@zen.berkeley.edu> (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>Chunk McManis has a old Sun color monitor at Hacker's V3.0.  Color
>was reasonable on a non interlace screen and low flicker for
>interlace.  (I guess you would call it a "medium" persitence monitor)
>The monitor spent two days playing "Front Line";  no smear problems
>as far as the game went.  Only real problems are the thing is as
>big as four 1080 monitors and you would probably need to purchase
>it used (not an easy find).

[Note my name is Chuck, not 'Chunk' :-)]
[The Sun-2 color monitor is big (19") and heavy (> 100 lbs)]

What Bryce said is correct, except the game was MicroIllusions 'FirePower'
which could easily be billed as the ultimate tank game. And since it was
played for 38 hrs straight by several people I think I can give it a fairly
good review here :

Overview :

    Firepower is the first in a series of 'One on One' series by
MicroIllusions. The game can be played with two people on the same
machine (side by side graphics), one person against the computer, or
two people on two machines using modems to connect them. The object
is to capture the 'flag' of the other player and return it to your
'garage'. The perspective is from overhead like Armor Attack and
playfield is scrolled around as you move across it ala Faery Tale. A
joystick is used to control the tank you are driving (you have a choice
of three models when you start the game) and the fire button fires the
cannon.

The World :

Each player has a home base, one has green features, and the other has
brown features. This base is surrounded by lots of walls that have
gun emplacements at the corners. Inside the base are buildings of several
varieties all but the hospital and garage can be blown up. Through out the
world there are roads that are generally easier to follow than to make your
way through the third type of are, forest.

The buildings are fairly interesting in that they contain different types
that hold troops in various proportions. There are office buildings that
hold a few troops, warehouses that hold no troops, barracks that hold lots
of troops and jails that hold *your* troops. More on troops later in Scoring.

The Players :

There are actually two types of aggressive units in this game, tanks and
helicopters. You control your tank, it stays on the screen at all times.
The helicopters (up to five at a time) are 'automatic' and attack the
enemy pretty much randomly. One of the 'features' of this game is that
shells from any piece will blow up something that can be destroyed (so
you can blow up your own buildings if you want). Additionally, there are
troops that run around although they can't kill you.

Tank Specifics :

When you start the game you can choose between one of three tanks. The tanks
vary in speed, defensive capability, efficiency and number of mines and troops.
Tanks are fairly manuverable, however they do tend to get stuck in 'rubble'
sometimes fatally so [see bugs]. The status screen displays how many mines and
troops you are carrying and how much fuel you have left. There is also a radar
screen that shows your position relative to the enemy tank or helicopters.
When you are taking damage the current number of damage points remaining are
displayed in the radar screen. When that number goes to zero your tanks
explodes.

Game Play (or how to Score) :

Points are scored when ever you destroy something that belongs to the
enemy. The most common way of destroying things is to blast it a number
of times with your cannon. The sound effects are quite good and include
explosions, tank sounds, and squishes. The latter comes into play with
one of the more morbid ways of scoring points, killing troops. When ever
a building or gun emplacement is destroyed there are often some troops
that try to run away from the destruction, driving over them with your
tank makes a 'squish' sound and leaves a red splotch on the ground. You
also score three points. However troops are useful too, if you save some
of your own and take them to the hospital, you get one mine for every
five troops that make it. The goal in multiplayer mode is to capture the
opponents flag (stored in a bunker) and carry it back to your garage.
You have an unlimited number of tanks to do this with. In you vs the computer
mode, you have a limited number of tanks and simply try to score lots
of points.

Bugs (or misfeatures) :

What review would be complete without some negative news. The good news is
that this game was played for 36 hours straight and never gurued. My machine
runs 1.2 with expanded memory so the two worst cases were taken into account.
One of the most annoying features, is the problem with stuck tanks. It is
possible to get a tank wedged in some rubble. Normally, holding the joystick
in one direction for > 10 seconds will unwedge it, sometimes the only way to
get out is to have the other player come around and destroy you.

Another feature of this game is mines. You can lay mines anywhere you chose
and when the enemy tank gets within range the mine blows up, destroying the
tank. Unfortunately the way to drop mines is to stop, press the fire button
and then pull down on the joystick. The mine drops and you have some time
to get away from it before it arms itself. Unfortunately, these same moves
are often used in battles with enemy units! If you are carrying a mine, and
while fighting drop it and fail to notice you did so (quite easy) then
it blows you up. Most annoying.

It is also possible to drive into the other players 'garage' (where the
tank always starts from.) If you do this, then when the enemy player
gets destroyed the game will create a new tank right on top of you.
The game won't let you move because your too close to the other tank,
you cant shoot it because it isn't in front of your gun, and the
helicopters cant get it because the garage protects you. You guessed it,
reboot time.

Another highly publicized but poorly implemented feature was multiplayer
through the serial port mode. At Hackers we had two Amigae connected
together via a null modem cable. Unfortunately, FirePower wanted to see
a modem on the serial line. It refused to connect without some sort of
AT type handshake going on. This was a big disappointment.

As a packaging flaw there were no instructions packages with the game.
It was sort of like a coin-op in that we figured things out by trying
them. There are some screens of instructions although they do not go
far enough in describing the game.

Finally, the game does not multitask, although with some forethought it
should be able to on large memory space machines. And if you try to start
it from the workbench it gives you a message to reboot the machine with
the firepower disk in drive 0.

Conclusions :

Overall I would rate this game a high 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. The
multiplayer mode is definitely more fun than the single player mode and
the fact that you don't have to have two Amigae is a big win. The graphics
are very nice and are easily 'arcade quality.' I have no qualms about
recommending this game to anyone who likes arcade 'action' games. For
a great time compare it to 'tank' on the Atari 2600 some time, what a
difference a decade can make no?

--Chuck McManis

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (10/13/87)

In article <2472@dciem.UUCP> king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
>I recently posted a request for pointers to monitors that would accept
>scan-doubler output. There were no responses. I assume that this means
>that such an item may not be readily available. I did discover that

Tah-Daaa!  The Answer!   Any one of the various MultiSynch monitors, such
as the NEC MultiSync, Taxan 770, Sony MultiScan, etc., should work just
fine.  They are all spec'd for the IBM PGA card, which is 640 X 480, so
a 640 X 400 Amiga screen should do pretty well.

--
----------------
Michael J. Farren      "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

Stephan King writes:

>I recently posted a request for pointers to monitors that would accept
>scan-doubler output. There were no responses. I assume that this means
>that such an item may not be readily available. I did discover that
>Tektronix has a system that may suit my needs, but most of you will
>probably know that Tektronix means $$$ (and quality, of course).
>
>I don't think that scan-doublers will be available until there are reasonably
>priced monitors for them.

As Bryce will point out in an upcoming article, the current crop of
multi-sync monitors will work just fine when this scan-doubler emerges.

>>Forget the Microvitec. Remember the English can't build anything
>>that uses electricity or oil, and make it work.
>
>Careful, you are being a little bit obnoxious here. I'll assume that
>the :-) was implicit.					...sjk

Right on both counts. I am obnoxious, and a :-) was (and ALWAYS IS)
implied.

Besides I worked on Jaguars and Triumphs, so I feel a little entitled to
slander my ancestors (I was born there). They slander me all the time.

>Stephen J King

P.S. Keep up the scarey books. I loved _Cujo_.
--

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (10/13/87)

In article <4281@zen.berkeley.edu> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>Any "multiscan" monitor will.  This means a NEC Multisync, Sony Multiscan

Ahem. I think I better clarify myself. I was (am) looking for a monitor
which will do 120Hz FIELDS for a 60Hz FRAME rate. Will the above mentioned
monitors do this? At a 32kHz horizontal rate (interlaced)? Or, will these
monitors do ~480 lines at 60Hz non-interlaced? I understand that Toshiba
now makes a unit which includes conversion circuitry, and displays NTSC
in a 60Hz NON-INTERLACED fashion. This seems a useful beast.
Flames invited - it's starting to get cold up here!		...sjk
--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King
- Simulation & Training Group -		(416) 635-2149

In article <4281@zen.berkeley.edu> (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>In article <2472@dciem.UUCP> king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
>>In article <1758@gryphon.CTS.COM> (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>I recently posted a request for pointers to monitors that would accept
>>scan-doubler output. There were no responses. I assume that this means
>>that such an item may not be readily available.

I did *not* write this. Can't you tell ? The spelling and grammer is
correct.

>Any "multiscan" monitor will.  This means a NEC Multisync, Sony Multiscan
>and a host of other random less well known brands.  Sony offers the
>Multiscan with Amiga cable.  About 550 dollars.  (Sony is probably
>the most expensive of the consumer multiscans).

... and for a reason. In a previous life we had the Sony, the Nec, the
Electrohome and Microvitec all together on a bench. Note they are listed
here in order of image quality, with a big gap between the Nec and
the Electrohome.

>>>My guess is you will be able to buy a scan doubler before you can buy an
>>>Amiga Live!...
>
>The "King of vaporware" proudly announced that he needs a new title.
>Yes, Amiga LIVE! is shipping.  No kidding.  For a person who is not
>already in the waiting line there will still be a backorder, however.
>
>(They still did not get all the parts in from the supplier that was
>to have built them.  I'm told you get a complete product except
>for the A-squared logo... that will be mailed to you whenever they
>get it.  Now the question is, can a prouct work without the logo
>of it's manufacturer emblazoned on the side? :-) )

Great, I can see it now. "I just got off the phone with Wendy, and she
said Logos will be shipping real soon now".

"Oops forget it, one of their paint suppliers cant make delivery of
pigment #497, and the delivery for the logo's has been slipped..."

Ad nausium.

Seriously (for a change) it's GREAT to see this product actually
meet the light of day.

>Chunk McManis has a old Sun color monitor at Hacker's V3.0.  Color
>was reasonable on a non interlace screen and low flicker for
>interlace.  (I guess you would call it a "medium" persitence monitor)
>The monitor spent two days playing "Front Line";  no smear problems
>as far as the game went.  Only real problems are the thing is as
>big as four 1080 monitors and you would probably need to purchase
>it used (not an easy find).

Is this the case of a $5000 monitor hooked up to a $1000 computer ?