[comp.sys.amiga] Some A2000/A500 answers

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (10/13/87)

> Hmmm... interesting idea, but, I think the A500 should have been made with
> a detachable keyboard in the first place.

So? Detach it yourself.  The keyboard is a self-contained unit with a
6 line umbilical to the A500 main board.  All you need is the cable and
probably some sort of case for the keyboard tray.

> Frankly I don't see how keeping the keyboard
> inside the same box as the rest of the system is an "improvement".

cheaper.

Now what I wonder about is the A2000's keyboard.  The German models have
tiny function keys and feel terrible and sag at the slightest pressure.
Will the real American A2000's switch to a better keyboard (like the
A500's)?  The two reasons are the feel, and the size of the function keys,
if all American Amigas have the same size keys one can create function key
templates for software that one sells that use them.
(This ignores the electical superiority that the A2000's seem to have with
multiple key rollover)

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
> traded my 1000 for a 2000 yesterday (make that an A2000, not a B2000).
>
> One more dumb question, is there any way to make it think my external 3" drive
> is df1: instead of df2:?

Yes. From a CLI type "assign df2: df1:".  Poof, it is now both df1: and
df2:!

If you want a hardware solution, I'm sure there are some jumpers on the
main board.

tas@mtuxo.UUCP (T.SKROBALA) writes:
> One thing that I'm not too keen about with my A1000 plus ASDG MiniRack C
> plus 2 Meg is the amount of interference my housemates get on their
> TVs when the Amiga is on.  Would the situation be much improved with
> an A2000?  How about the A1000 with ASDG 2000-and-1?

The 2000 as an all-in-one solution would be best.  The ASDG 2000-and-1 is
not likely to be any better than your current system.

Your cheapest route to domestic tranquility, however, would be to pop down
to the local Radio Shaft and pick up some shielded wire and matching fluff
to hook up an external antenna.

But then you don't get a neato-keen Amiga 2000.  :-)

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, ENQ, SYN)
{o O} .
 (") 	bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
	"It [the Amiga] is the machine the home market has been waiting

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (10/14/87)

in article <4313@zen.berkeley.edu>, bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) says:
> dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>> traded my 1000 for a 2000 yesterday (make that an A2000, not a B2000).

If you're in the U.S - we've only been selling B2000's, but again, that's
an internal designation and should be dropped, because as far as the U.S
is concerned - the internally designated A2000's have not been sold here.

>> ...is there any way to make it think my external 3" drive
>> is df1: instead of df2:?
>
> Yes. From a CLI type "assign df2: df1:".  Poof, it is now both df1: and
> df2:!

First of all, I think your code is backward, it would be:
"assign df1: df2:" (assign NEWASSIGNMENTNAME: VOLUME/DIRECTORY).

Not "poof" however, because the assign command assigns to VOLUMES
or DIRECTORIES, but not the DEVICES, and therefore if you
"assign df1: df2:", you're assigning "df1:" to the DISKETTE in drive
and not the drive itself.  Thus, if you do not have a diskette in
the drive it won't work, or if it does, as soon as you change disks
and then request df1:, it will ask for the volume originally in that
drive again.

Apparently all is not lost though because on fish disk 70(I think) there's
a program called AssignDev which assigns to devices and not
volumes/directories.

> If you want a hardware solution, I'm sure there are some jumpers on the
> main board.

Not so.

	Paul.

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (10/15/87)

In article <4313@zen.berkeley.edu>, bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:

> Now what I wonder about is the A2000's keyboard.  The German models have
> tiny function keys and feel terrible and sag at the slightest pressure.
> Will the real American A2000's switch to a better keyboard (like the
> A500's)?  The two reasons are the feel, and the size of the function keys,
> if all American Amigas have the same size keys one can create function key
> templates for software that one sells that use them.

Having complained about how flimsy the A2000 keyboard seemed at the dealer,
I'm pleased to report that the one that came with my B2000 seems alot stiffer.
Not quite as solid as I'd really like, but not too bad at all.

There is a small amount of flexture of the pc board proper, which the
keys are mounted to.  When I earlier criticized the A2000 keyboard, one
person emailed me his solution ... open up the keyboard case, and stuff
some folded-up heavy plastic bags, foam (non-conductive, please!), etc.
between the back of the pc board and the case.  With the B2000 keyboard,
this should be all that's needed to solidify things.

No change in the size/location of the function keys that I noticed.  For
myself, I find function keys that are along the top of the keyboard a pain
anyway.  I would much prefer a function keypad to replace the numeric
keypad at the right side of the keyboard ... far more utilitarian (how many
people really *use* the numeric keypad, anyway)?

The other gripe I have is cursor keys.  I dunno why the inverted "T" or the
1000's diamond seem to be the trend.  True, it *looks* logical and intuitive,
but most people I know who program alot much prefer this layout:

             +-------+-------+
             |       |       |
             |   ^   |   |   |
             |   |   |   |   |
             |   |   |   v   |
             |       |       |
             +-------+-------+
             |       |       |
             |       |       |
             | <---  |  ---> |
             |       |       |
             |       |       |
             +-------+-------+

Seems that most people fast cursor (repeat key) to about where they want
to be, and then back up if they over shoot, or continue with discrete
key strokes.  Thus, the up/down keys are used in conjunction alot, or
the right/left are used in conjunction.  With the above arrangement, one
can use the index/middle fingers on either the up/down pair, or the right
left pair, and reversing directions doesn't require repositioning any
fingers.

But what do I know ... I'm not an ergonomic engineer ... I just have to
*use* keyboards 8+ hours a day at work, and 4+ hours a day at home :-).

I'm not a real fan of IBM, but the Selectric keyboard is still one of
the best laid out keyboards I've seen, as is the function, cursor, and
local editing key layout of their 327x terminals.

Maybe one of these days I'll design a keyboard the way I'd like to see
it done ...

Sorry ... I don't mean to start up a religious war on keyboards!

/kim
--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim