[comp.sys.amiga] PC-Incompatible Bridge Card?

ranjit@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (10/16/87)

A silly thought struck me last night: is it possible to create
a "Null Bridge Card" for the 2000 which is NOT PC-compatible,
but rather contains the minimum amount of electronics necessary
to give the 2000 access to PC-compatible hardware such as
(drool, drool) hard-cards?  Or is the PC-compatibility a vital
part of the link?  I, for one, would pay a bunch for a board which
does nothing except enable the PC slots.  (If I had a 2000,
that is.)

	Ranjit

 .......(o o).......  ranjit@cory.berkeley.edu
 ---vvv---U---vvv---  ucbvax!cory!ranjit

In article <4383@zen.berkeley.edu> ranjit@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
> A silly thought struck me last night: is it possible to create
> a "Null Bridge Card" for the 2000 which is NOT PC-compatible,
> but rather contains the minimum amount of electronics necessary
> to give the 2000 access to PC-compatible hardware such as
> (drool, drool) hard-cards?  Or is the PC-compatibility a vital
> part of the link?  I, for one, would pay a bunch for a board which
> does nothing except enable the PC slots.  (If I had a 2000,
> that is.)

YES!!!  Of course it would be possible.  I've tried to get one of the
3-rd party hardware types to do this, but with no luck so far.  Like,
PC compatibility is nice, but being able to access arbitrary I/O cards
without the intercession of one of those silly Intel processors would
be sooo nice.  The real win for the person that develops this is that
they can do the hardware and a couple basic drivers for serial/printer/
disk as the base unit, then sell drivers for other popular I/O cards
as separatly priced options.

Of course you could also accomplish much the same thing by replacing
the extraneous MSDOS operating system on the bridge card with a simple
I/O executive and perhaps using the supplied Janus library on the
Amiga side.  Still, the combined hardware/software product would most
likey be a more profitable venture than an easily pirated software
only product.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/16/87)

in article <4383@zen.berkeley.edu>, ranjit@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar) says:
> A silly thought struck me last night: is it possible to create
> a "Null Bridge Card" for the 2000 which is NOT PC-compatible,
> but rather contains the minimum amount of electronics necessary
> to give the 2000 access to PC-compatible hardware such as
> (drool, drool) hard-cards?  Or is the PC-compatibility a vital
> part of the link?  I, for one, would pay a bunch for a board which
> does nothing except enable the PC slots.  (If I had a 2000, that is.)

This would actually be possible.  You'd need some logic to handle the 8 vs
16 bit busses if you wanted XT compatibility, and you'd need to encode all the
IBM interrupts onto maybe one A2000 interrupt.  And basically do whatever it
is that IBM ATs do to look like PCs for those older cards.  They have a 14Mhz
clock on the backplane, and some other stuff.  The neatest things is that the
entire PC I/O address space could show up as 68000 memory on an autoconfig
slot.  Whether or not you're a fan of the PC (and there are few who like it
less than I), you'll certainly have to admit there's lots of nice hardware
out there for it.

By the way, I know of at least one person working on this card, so maybe it'll
materialize some day.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

In article <4383@zen.berkeley.edu> (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>A silly thought struck me last night: is it possible to create
>a "Null Bridge Card" for the 2000 which is NOT PC-compatible,
>but rather contains the minimum amount of electronics necessary
>to give the 2000 access to PC-compatible hardware such as
>(drool, drool) hard-cards?  Or is the PC-compatibility a vital
>part of the link?  I, for one, would pay a bunch for a board which
>does nothing except enable the PC slots.  (If I had a 2000,
>that is.)

This is not a silly thought, this is an excellent thought. And we
(the BIX crowd) discussed it with the Commodore developers quite
a bit. Everyone seemed to agree that it was a good thing, but no
one wanted to build it or write the code to handle it properly.
Since most PC type cards expect to be run in a PC they make certain
assumptions about cycle times, and byte ordering and such, plus
sometimes the code to run them is actually in ROM on the board itself !
So, why not forget about the bridge card being a PC compatible board
and instead treat is as a simple I/O processor frontend for PC cards.
Then you can tell your friends your Amiga has intelligent Channel I/O. :-)
Seriously though I think that this is the single best use for it (IMHO)
since you don't really 'gain' anything by having it be a PC.

--Chuck McManis