[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 Buy-Back program

kim@amdahl.UUCP (09/24/87)

[ ... go ahead, eat my bits ... ]

Just had an interesting conversation with one of our local Amiga
dealers.  They've sold most of their initial allocation of B2000's
(10 units), which were all "bundled" systems (Bridge, 5.25" drive,
hard disk, etc.)

Most sales were to A1000 owners, and they were using the $1000
trade-in.  What was interesting though, was the purchaser could
then turn around and buy back their A1000 for $300!  I dunno if
this was limited to the original owner (of the A1000) or not.

The dealer made this sound like this "buy-back" was Commodore a
supported deal.  Also mentioned that A1000's that weren't bought
back would be picked-up by Bally.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (09/28/87)

in article <14980@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:
> Just had an interesting conversation with one of our local Amiga
> dealers. ...
> Most sales were to A1000 owners, and they were using the $1000
> trade-in.  What was interesting though, was the purchaser could
> then turn around and buy back their A1000 for $300!
> The dealer made this sound like this "buy-back" was Commodore a
> supported deal.

No it isn't part of our policy.  We have provided a way for an A1000
owner to trade it against an A2000, PERIOD.

Naturally the dealer is free to put additional restrictions in, be more
flexible, or not participate at all, but the above is all our program
consists of.

> Also mentioned that A1000's that weren't bought
> back would be picked-up by Bally.

This is pure baloney.

	Paul.

In article <14980@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> Most sales were to A1000 owners, and they were using the $1000
> trade-in.  What was interesting though, was the purchaser could
> then turn around and buy back their A1000 for $300!  I dunno if
> this was limited to the original owner (of the A1000) or not.

They're starting to do this here, except they're saying "trade in your
1000 for the 2000, and keep the 1000!". Same thing. The total cost
varies from $1150 to $1200 depending on whether you bought the 1000
from them in the first place.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <834@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

> They're starting to do this here, except they're saying "trade in your
> 1000 for the 2000, and keep the 1000!". Same thing. The total cost
> varies from $1150 to $1200 depending on whether you bought the 1000
> from them in the first place.

Anyone know of a store that's willing to finance such a deal :-)???

					Charged out to the max,
					Jon
--
Hm-m-m-mm?  I thought this place was for Brontosaurusses only!?!!?!!

grv@tahoma.ARPA (Jerry VandenHeuvel) (10/03/87)

In article <14980@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

> trade-in.  What was interesting though, was the purchaser could
> then turn around and buy back their A1000 for $300!  I dunno if
> this was limited to the original owner (of the A1000) or not.
>
> The dealer made this sound like this "buy-back" was Commodore a
> supported deal.  Also mentioned that A1000's that weren't bought
> back would be picked-up by Bally.
>
> /kim

Computer Mail Order in Penn. is doing the same thing, but for $199.  You
give them your serial number to satisfy the trade-in and then can turn
around and sell your A1000 for whatever.  I just ordered my B2000 with HD
controller and 40M HD for about the same amount it was going to cost for
add-ons (without a DMA controller) for my A1000!

Whether or not Commodore is supporting the $300 buy-back, every dealer that
I talked to in the Seattle area is doing it, too.
--
Jerry Vanden Heuvel		  Voice: (206) 237-5080
Boeing Commercial Airplane Co.     UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!grv

lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) (10/05/87)

#include :-)

Introducing the new buy-back offer:

Trade in your A2000 + manuals + left arm + $1000 = Sun

All of this is charge-able, using only your NEW IMPROVED
AMIGA GOLD CARD!

Yes, finally all of you foaming Amigamaniacs can charge up to the gills
with the preferred power-user-card The AMIGA GOLD.

Also available to terminal (oooh pun!) cases: Amiga Platinum CARD, for those
who like buying entire Phred Phish Libraries along with a disk big enough to
hold it all. Just send us your Gold Card, plus either your mother or your
first born child.

--
	Lawrence H. Brown
USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!cdf!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@cdf.apctrc.uucp (?)

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/08/87)

in article <178@tahoma.ARPA>, grv@tahoma.ARPA (Jerry VandenHeuvel) says:
> In article <14980@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>>   What was interesting though, was the purchaser could
>> then turn around and buy back their A1000 for $300!
>
> Computer Mail Order in Penn. is doing the same thing, but for $199.

Ok, the bottom line is that you pay $1200 - $1300 for a bare bones
A2000. This sounds reasonable enough, but the thought occurs to me that
in 6-9 months the street price of the A2000 will be pretty close to
that. By that time the "Buster tower" problem should be fixed, and there
ought to be an official line on the rumored 1 Meg Chip RAM upgrade.

Since there is no functional difference between the A1000 and the A2000,
what's the rush to "upgrade"?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (10/16/87)

In article <519@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>in article <178@tahoma.ARPA>, grv@tahoma.ARPA (Jerry VandenHeuvel) says:
>> In article <14980@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>>>   What was interesting though, was the purchaser could
>>> then turn around and buy back their A1000 for $300!
>>
>> Computer Mail Order in Penn. is doing the same thing, but for $199.
>
>Ok, the bottom line is that you pay $1200 - $1300 for a bare bones
>A2000.

Family Computer Center stores in NJ (South Orange and Fairfield that I know of)
will (or did) seel A2000's for A1000 serial # plus $1050 plus tax and or
shipping as appropriate. Thatsa deal i couldn't quite pass up. Way better'n
what C= offers its developers.

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.!