[comp.sys.amiga] KS/WB upgrades for A1000

acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (10/08/87)

With all the great trade-in deals going on I'm curious if Commodore will
make upgrades to WB/KS available on floppy for those of us too poor to
move to a 2000.  Anyone at Commodore care to comment?
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

bart@amiga.UUCP (Barry A. Whitebook) (10/09/87)

[eat this line -- please!]

this is amiga!bart

Tony Sumrall (acs@amdahl.com) asks:
> I'm curious if Commodore will make upgrades to WB/KS available on floppy
> for those of us too poor to move to a 2000?

the (good news) answer is: yes
the (bad news) answer is:  yes, but it won't be free

--
     //----------------------------------------------------- ----------\\
    //|  Bart Whitebook, Manager of Amiga ROM Software      | {|V|)))  |\\

acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (10/09/87)

In article <1955@amiga.amiga.UUCP> bart@amiga.UUCP (Barry A. Whitebook) writes:
>Tony Sumrall (acs@amdahl.com) asks:
>> I'm curious if Commodore will make upgrades to WB/KS available on floppy
>> for those of us too poor to move to a 2000?
>
>the (good news) answer is: yes
>the (bad news) answer is:  yes, but it won't be free

Does this mean that a ROM update will be free to A500/2000 owners?  What
will the cost of a floppy-based upgrade be (I'm not looking for actual
$$$ here, just some indication like "around what you were asked to pay
for the 1.2 upgrade").
--

hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (10/10/87)

bart@amiga.UUCP (Barry A. Whitebook) writes:
>[eat this line -- please!]
>
>this is amiga!bart
>
>Tony Sumrall (acs@amdahl.com) asks:
>> I'm curious if Commodore will make upgrades to WB/KS available on floppy
>> for those of us too poor to move to a 2000?
>
>the (good news) answer is: yes
>the (bad news) answer is:  yes, but it won't be free

"Won't be free" is fine... The Enhancer 1.2 was only $15 retail (I paid
$10 for mine from a mailorder place). Anyone who whines about a $15
DOS upgrade should go buy an IBM PC. Each new revision of MS DOS costs
$85.00.

Keep up the good work, Bart.

Harv Laser
PeopleLink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (10/12/87)

It is true that the enhancer is only $15, but at what cost?  This may
surprise you guys in the heart of AmigaLand, wherever that is, but here
in Eire, PA, my local dealer finally got the enhancer in just a few weeks
ago.

So, please price the next enhancement at some price that makes it
worth the while of everyone concerned to carry it, so I can get
one too.

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (10/13/87)

In article <22103UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>It is true that the enhancer is only $15, but at what cost?  This may
>surprise you guys in the heart of AmigaLand, wherever that is, but here
>in Eire, PA, my local dealer finally got the enhancer in just a few weeks
>ago.

  Since you do have US MAIL out there in Erie, you should have ordeded
  it from one of the many AMIGA mail order firms. Back when Enhancer
  first came out some dealers were selling it as low as $9 - $10. If
  you dont know of any mail order firms, just look at any issue of
  Amiga World.

>So, please price the next enhancement at some price that makes it
>worth the while of everyone concerned to carry it, so I can get
>one too.

  Again if you really wanted it, Im sure you could get one too.

--
   Dan Schein			 	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore Business Machines		or: {allegra|burdvax}!cbmvax!schein

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (10/13/87)

In article <22103UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>It is true that the enhancer is only $15, but at what cost?  This may
>surprise you guys in the heart of AmigaLand, wherever that is, but here
>in Eire, PA, my local dealer finally got the enhancer in just a few weeks
>ago.
>
>So, please price the next enhancement at some price that makes it
>worth the while of everyone concerned to carry it, so I can get
>one too.

  The ENHANCER package was priced at next to our cost. It was priced low
  so that the upgrade would be reasonable for all users. Im sure that
  some dealers could not make enough $$ from our pricing and decided not
  to carry it. In this case you should look into software mail order houses
  that sell Amiga software (and most for discount). When the ENHANCER
  was released I know of some mail order firms that were selling it for
  as low as $9 - $10. High pricing and big dealer profits would get
  everyone to carry it, but it would defeat the idea behind our upgrade.

--
   Dan Schein			 	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore Business Machines		or: {allegra|burdvax}!cbmvax!schein
   1200 Wilson Drive			Bix: dschein      Plink: cbmtelecom
   West Chester PA 19380		phone: (215) 431-9100     ext. 9542
    All spelling mistakes are a result of my efforts to avoid education :-)
    Those who worked the hardest are the last to surrender   --   Gary Ward

In article <22103UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>So, please price the next enhancement at some price that makes it
>worth the while of everyone concerned to carry it, so I can get
>one too.

This is a good point.  A $45.00 enhancer kit that you can find at your
local store is far better than a $15.00 one you can't find.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (10/15/87)

.
. This is a good point.  A $45.00 enhancer kit that you can find at your
. local store is far better than a $15.00 one you can't find.
.
. Keith Doyle
. #  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

	This is ridiculous.  Why not charge $65.00 like IBM does and then
	half the AMIGA owners would still be using V1.1 and the software
	writers could not use features in V1.2 and expect their software
	to work in most machines.
Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (10/15/87)

> It is true that the enhancer is only $15, but at what cost?  This may
> surprise you guys in the heart of AmigaLand, wherever that is, but here
> in Eire, PA, my local dealer finally got the enhancer in just a few weeks
> ago.
>
> So, please price the next enhancement at some price that makes it
> worth the while of everyone concerned to carry it, so I can get
> one too.

Oh, be serious.  Do you have a credit card or a checking account or
can you purchase a money order?  Can you read?  Can you use a phone?

Then flick open an Amiga World, or an Amazing Computing, or an Info...
Pick your favorite ad.  Place an order with Computer Best, or Go Amiga,
or Abel supply, or whatever your fave company is.  Do it on the phone or
do it through the mail.  If your local dealer is such a twit as to not
carry the enhancer package then you'll certainly get it much faster that
way, cheaper too.

Geesh.  I don't particularly want to pay more for software because your
dealer is an idiot.  If you can't manage to work up the initiative to buy
your software somewhere else even though your current dealer isn't stocking
what you want I have no sympathy for you.  Hell, I don't even have an Amiga
dealer within 100 miles of where I live.

David Albrecht

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/17/87)

in article <22103UH2@PSUVM>, UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) says:
> It is true that the enhancer is only $15, but at what cost?  This may
> surprise you guys in the heart of AmigaLand, wherever that is, but here
> in Eire, PA, my local dealer finally got the enhancer in just a few weeks
> ago.

Well I'd hardly call Utah the heart of Amiga land, but both local
dealers had the 1.2 Enhancer in December 1986. I don't think that this
on can be blamed on Commodore. If your dealer is this poor, go mail
order! Both Go Amigo and Abel Supply have been good to me.

PS Is that Eire, PA as in Westchester, PA????
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

In article <15850@amdahl.amdahl.com> acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) writes:
> In article <1955@amiga.amiga.UUCP> bart@amiga.UUCP (Barry A. Whitebook) writes:
> >Tony Sumrall (acs@amdahl.com) asks:
> >> I'm curious if Commodore will make upgrades to WB/KS available on floppy
> >> for those of us too poor to move to a 2000?
> >
> >the (good news) answer is: yes
> >the (bad news) answer is:  yes, but it won't be free
>
> Does this mean that a ROM update will be free to A500/2000 owners?  What
> will the cost of a floppy-based upgrade be (I'm not looking for actual
> $$$ here, just some indication like "around what you were asked to pay
> for the 1.2 upgrade").

Noone has represented that any upgrades will be "free".  However, if you
look at the past history, I think you may find that they have generally
been reasonably priced.  In fact some people have caused a certain amount
of consternation by asserting that they were too reasonably priced, making
them not worth the dealer's attention and slowing down distribution!!!

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...