[comp.sys.amiga] Mindwalker Sprites

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/19/87)

in article <402@io.UUCP>, carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) says:

> In article <1653@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> agollum@engr.uky.edu (David Herron aka Admiral Gollum) writes:
>>Now wait a minute.  I have Arctic fox, an A1000, and Amigados 1.2,
>>and it boots just fine.
>
> It doesn't sound like you have fast memory attached to the system, though.
> Many of these programs fail only when fast memory is attached, because the
.
.
.
> For some reason, even this doesn't work for MindWalker, it just don't
> work with 1.2 on my machine, period. The sprites just get garbage when down
> in the brain cells. A mystery...

No mystery at all. Simply move the screen centering gadget in
Preferences to the far right side of the screen. This will cure your
problem. I fought with this for a long time, and gave up. But then
someone on the net mentioned that it was probably the screen offset
trashing the sprite's DMA time.

The sprite trashing, and programs that don't work with expansion RAM both
look much the same on the screen, but they are not the same problem. And
the sprite trashing is usually much easier to fix (everyone knows how to
use Preferences don't they? :-).
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne