[comp.sys.amiga] Source & Docs for Opus ZModem Available

Rick_Allen_Huebner@cup.portal.com (10/15/87)

   Have I got a deal for you...

   I'm the developer of the ZModem file transfer protocol implementation used
in the Opus BBS system.  ZModem is about the best protocol available for micros
these days, and users worldwide have been enjoying its use on Opus for some
time now.  But I have a problem... my BBS is Amiga-oriented, not PClone-
oriented like most other Opus boards.  And there are no PD/Shareware ZModem
capable terminal programs available for my users to use!  Online! 2.0 added it
in, sort of, though they didn't do a very good job of it (forced ACKs every 1K,
no resumption of aborted downloads). But most of my users use one of the
various PD/Shareware terminal programs out there, like Handshake or Comm.  It's
very frustrating to have gone to all the trouble of adding ZModem to Opus, only
to have it sit around unused on my own board.

   I keep thinking about adding my code into one of the better Amiga terminal
programs, but I never seem to be able to find the time.  And the best I could
hope to manage would be adding it into a single PD program, which would then
age and become obsolete.  What I'd really like is for ZModem to get added to
SEVERAL of the better programs available, and for those programs to be living,
evolving programs actively supported by their authors.

   So, here's the deal.  I have available on my BBS the complete source code
and documentation for the original external Opus ZModem driver.  This driver
has since been integrated into Opus itself, and so is no longer needed as an
external driver, but was well-tested and widely used.  It's a relatively clean
implementation, with all extraneous code removed.  It should be fairly simple
for an Amiga programmer to port the bulk of the driver directly into their
terminal or BBS program.  I also have the complete ZModem spec and Unix source
available.  I would be delighted to answer questions and give support to any
Amiga programmer interested in porting my code into their software.  You still
do the work, but I help you figure it out.  Sound fair?

   Interested parties may call and download (or file request, if you have
FidoNet access) OZ_111.ARC (the driver) and ZMODEM.ARC (spec & Unix code).
I'd post it to the net, but it's around 200K total B-).  Any takers?

Rick Huebner
Sysop, The Wind Dragon Inn
FidoNet node 1:14/614; 402-291-8053, 3/12/2400 bps

rick_huebner@cup.portal.com
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!rick_huebner

In article <959@cup.portal.com> Rick_Allen_Huebner@cup.portal.com writes:

>   Have I got a deal for you...
>
>   I'm the developer of the ZModem file transfer protocol implementation used
>in the Opus BBS system. ZModem is about the best protocol available for micros
>these days, and users worldwide have been enjoying its use on Opus for some
>time now.  But I have a problem... my BBS is Amiga-oriented, not PClone-
>oriented like most other Opus boards.  And there are no PD/Shareware ZModem
>capable terminal programs available for my users to use!

Ok, so what does ZModem do that's fantastic?  I've been enjoying comm
1.34's WXmodem (xmodem with sliding windows) speed, and been frustrated that
most of the BBS's don't support it.  And what I really want, is the
ability in a comm program to be transferring a file via xmodem to a
friend, and while it's doing it, we're conversing over another window
with the characters being send interleaved with the XModem blocks.  Comm
1.34 seems like it is supposed to do that, (It's got a window for it)
but I haven't been able to make it happen.

I can't get too excited about adding yet another xmodem version to all the
terminal programs which will end up making them all larger, more buggy,
and take longer for them to be released.  But I guess I can understand
why someone would.  Knowing a little more about what using ZModem buys
us might make it a little easier to gain support, and from your
posting, I haven't the faintest idea.  'best protocol available' sounds
like marketing hype to me, without some real information.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) (10/19/87)

In article <1810@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>In article <959@cup.portal.com> Rick_Allen_Huebner@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>>   Have I got a deal for you...
>>
>>   I'm the developer of the ZModem file transfer protocol implementation used
>>in the Opus BBS system. ZModem is about the best protocol available for micros
>>these days, and users worldwide have been enjoying its use on Opus for some
>>time now.  But I have a problem... my BBS is Amiga-oriented, not PClone-
>>oriented like most other Opus boards.  And there are no PD/Shareware ZModem
>>capable terminal programs available for my users to use!
>
>Ok, so what does ZModem do that's fantastic?

 Well I'm certainly not an expert on Zmodem, but I have looked over the unix
version of it, and it seems to combine a lot of nice features:

	- Windowing protocol
	- Multiple file sends (like Kermit)
	-"intelligent" file name translation when sending between different OS's
	- Unix implementation readily available (I have it:-) )
	- Translation of EOL markers, for different OS's
	- I don't think it has xmodem's file length problems

 From what the author of the Unix version (Chuck Forsberg) says, zmodem will
get you a transfer rate pretty close to the raw speed of your modem. While
using kermit I only get 300 b/s, using a 1200 b/s modem! For that alone, I
think it's worth implementing. (this is using a packet switching network,
with a pretty long latency, that's why windowing is such a big win)

 As a matter of fact, I am seriously considering integrating zmodem into
vt100. But what's the advantage of starting out from the OPUS zmodem, rather
than the Unix Zmodem? (Huh Rick?)
--

	Frank Anthes-Harper
Usenet: ....!ucbvax!decvax!uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!anthes