[comp.sys.amiga] Having a picture in the background of one's workbench...

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (10/13/87)

In article <275@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) writes:

>...Well, I have asked everyone I know around here how to do this, and they all
>pretty much say, "I think it can be done, but I don't know how."  I also
>have seen the various programs that display patterns in the background.  But
>what about full, one bitplane pictures?...

Fish disk #90 has an "lines" demo that runs AS the background.  If you want
a static picture it is real easy.  Find the size of the Workbench with
GetScreenData(), open a full screen borderless, backdrop, smart_refresh,
nocarerefresh window and load the picture into it.  done.

The only problem is that this blows away the Workbench tool's backdrop
window so you can't use the icon interface to AmigaDOS.  The real hack
would be to find that window and lobotomize it or it's refresh code.  This
sounds possible, but ugly.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, ENQ, SYN)
{o O} .
 (") 	bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
  U	"...this will shoot the lips off a cockroch."

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (10/15/87)

> In article <275@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) writes:
> >...Well, I have asked everyone I know around here how to do this, and they all
> >pretty much say, "I think it can be done, but I don't know how."  I also
> ... If you want
> a static picture it is real easy.  Find the size of the Workbench with
> GetScreenData(), open a full screen borderless, backdrop, smart_refresh,
> nocarerefresh window and load the picture into it.  done.

An another solution is adding another playfield on the WB.
I've done it but the main problems are:
	1) limitation on colors : only two colors allowed by Dual-Playfield
in this case
	2) since CLI/WB windows are using baackground color 0, the picture
will appear in front of everything, even the windows  (they are transparent
according to dual-playfield priority).
In conclusion: not a satisfactory solution.--

*- Francois Rouaix                    /       When the going gets tough,     *
*- USENET:rouaix@inria.inria.fr     \/            the guru goes meditating...*
*  SYSOP of Sgt. Flam's Lonely Amigas Club. (33) (1) 39-55-84-59 (Videotext) *

	Yah! That's telling them!

:KEVIN MCBRIDE WRITES:
:I don't see anything inherently *wrong* about the shareware *concept*
:either.  My major objection is people asking for money for software that
:is too easy, trivial, broken, or just plain stinks.  Then I look at
:people like Leo and Dave Wecker and Matt and Mike and Bryce and others
;too numerous to mention, who give us wonderfully fun hacks, excellent
:terminal emulators, text editors, shells, tech info, etc. the list goes
:on and on and...
:
:THEY GIVE US THESE THINGS FREELY!  THAT'S RIGHT!  THEY DON'T ASK FOR A
:DIME FOR THESE THINGS.

	I take an even more outright view of shareware.... I'm against it.
Oh, the *concept* is ok, but the way people have implemented it is
deplorable (and I'm talking 98% of the shareware software, where the remaining
2% 'correct' implementations were done by the people who founded the concept,
and a very few others).

	Frankly, and in my opinion, freely flowing information is a basic
requirement to act as a shadow backbone ensuring, amount other things, that
commercial items maintain the highest quality in software engineering.
I.E. they may not figure us into their calculations but we are a major force
in pushing the machine and its software forward.  One can think of shareware
as disrupting this backbone.

	Of all the countless packages out there designated 'shareware', only
a couple dozen (educated guess) make a non-trivial amount of money.  Of the
remaining 99.9999BAR %, none make enough to dent the bills of your everyday
college student much less the paycheck of a working one.  I don't know about
all of you, but my job pays more in a day than all the money I'd expect to
earn from a 'shareware' product, if I had any.

	Besides, I *like* giving away software and knowlege!  Every time I
come up with something, Bryce asks me if I'm going to try selling it, and I
always say "well, maybe".  I have yet to sell anything...

>I can sympathize with college students trying to make a few extra bucks.
>Shareware aint the way to do it.  You could make more money flipping
>burgers at McDigital's Fast Feed Through.

	Yup.  Don't you love philosophical arguments?

BTW Can somebody at C-A provide me with information on the ACTION_INFO packet,
in respect to both the ACTION_INFO and ACTION_DISK_INFO packets....?? To
avoid confusion, how bout the specs on both!  I really want to release my
sample DOS device driver to the net, but don't want to release one that is
incomplete!

						-Matt

conn@stratus.UUCP (Avery Shealey) (10/20/87)

In article <8710200513.AA21101@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Yah! That's telling them!
>
>:KEVIN MCBRIDE WRITES:
>:
>:THEY GIVE US THESE THINGS FREELY!  THAT'S RIGHT!  THEY DON'T ASK FOR A
>:DIME FOR THESE THINGS.
>
>	Frankly, and in my opinion, freely flowing information is a basic
>requirement to act as a shadow backbone ensuring, amount other things, that
>commercial items maintain the highest quality in software engineering.
>
>	Besides, I *like* giving away software and knowlege!  Every time I
>come up with something, Bryce asks me if I'm going to try selling it, and I
>always say "well, maybe".  I have yet to sell anything...
>

>						-Matt

I agree. As a college student, married, expecting wife, I know how it
is to need money. But I can make real money by working for someone
else. I don't have time to support a product enough to sell it.

Besides, the information and the PD software were what made me buy an
amiga(aldo convinced one of my proffs to blow some money on one).

Tkanks to everyone who answers the stupid questions and requests
that I don't have time to look up. It makes having an amiga worthwhile.

Thanks,
Avery

Avery Shealey
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:  conn@stratus.gatech.edu	 CSNet:  conn%stratus@gatech
UUCP:  ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ihnp4}!gatech!stratus!conn

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/20/87)

In article <8710200513.AA21101@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Yah! That's telling them!
>
>:KEVIN MCBRIDE WRITES:
>:I don't see anything inherently *wrong* about the shareware *concept*
>:either.
>
>	Yup.  Don't you love philosophical arguments?

Couldn't agree more.  Personally I like the shareware products that
send you source when you send in your money.

(So far the only piece of shareware that grabbed me enough to use/send
money was Dave Wecker's ray trace program...I played with it seriously
for the first time last weekend, and send in my money yesterday :-) )

>BTW Can somebody at C-A provide me with information on the ACTION_INFO packet,
>in respect to both the ACTION_INFO and ACTION_DISK_INFO packets....?? To
>avoid confusion, how bout the specs on both!  I really want to release my
>sample DOS device driver to the net, but don't want to release one that is
>incomplete!

Sure, no prob.
They're basically the same, but ACTION_INFO first checks to see
if the object has an exclusive (ie a write) lock, failing if
it does.  ACTION_DISK_INFO gives you the info, even if
it does have an exclusive lock on it.

The discriminating programmer will note that handlers, which may not
have filesystems may equate the two, or refuse the ACTION_INFO call,
depending on how you want DOS commands to react to you, ie
fail or continue, for those that really need a filesystem, failing
is a nice thing to do :-)

(In my speak: device, the two are exactly the same; that was before
I developed some Lock code for a handler in C)

>						-Matt

So, let's see the handler :-)

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."