[comp.sys.amiga] PaintJet printer

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (10/22/87)

In article <583@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>Has anyone hooked up an HP PaintJet, and if so, how well does it work?
>I haven't seen any reviews here yet, and it looks to me like someone should
>post one.  Is there a decent driver for it yet?
>
>Larry Wall
>lwall@devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

	We have a HP_PaintJet here at CBM and it works a charm!  A V1.2
driver has been written for it called 'HP_PaintJet_V1.2' and is currently
being distributed the following ways:

	Telecommunications - object code is in the process of being uploaded
		to all the major systems; Usnet, CompuServe, etc.
	HP - a copy has been sent to Hewlett Packard tech support for their
		dealers, distributors, etc.
	Dealers - copies are in the process of being sent to all our
		regional offices and sales reps who will make it available
		to the dealers in their respective areas.

	The driver is pretty smart when it comes to color or greyscale/b-w
dumps.  ie. It forgets about the color stuff when doing greyscale/b-w dumps
(this makes it transfer much less info to the printer).  It also incorporates
RLE (Run Length Encoding) which further reduces the amount of transferred
data.  Transparency mode is supported by selecting a paper type of CUSTOM
from Preferences.

	Remember that this printer has a density of 180x180 dpi and thus
has a lot of info to output (so it isn't especially fast).  But the above
helps immensly.

	Look for a super fast driver (14 minute dumps down to 4 minutes)
some time in the not too distant future. :^)

	How's that for support!