[comp.sys.amiga] Noisy A2000 fan

sis@cord.UUCP (S Schwebel) (10/07/87)

I just received my A2000 and was very dissapointed by the incredible amount
of noise its fan generates. I may have been spoiled by how quiet the A1000
was, but I believe that objectively this new machine should not be this loud...
especially when used in a quiet home environment. Would George Robbins or anyone
else care to comment on a potential fix for this rather annoying problem? Help,
pleeeze, as I'm beginning to regret that I ever sold my reliable old amy-1000.

In article <485@cord.UUCP> sis@cord.UUCP (S Schwebel) writes:
> I just received my A2000 and was very dissapointed by the incredible amount
> of noise its fan generates. I may have been spoiled by how quiet the A1000
> was, but I believe that objectively this new machine should not be this loud.
> especially when used in a quiet home environment. Would George Robbins or
> anyone else care to comment on a potential fix for this rather annoying
> problem? Help, pleeeze, as I'm beginning to regret that I ever sold my
> reliable old amy-1000.

Urp, I don't wanna comment on this, but somebody mentioned my name...

The fan is supplied by the power supply vendor as part of the power supply
assembly.  So far, we've been concentrating on overall reliability and
airflow and haven't heard too many complaints about the fan noise.  Perhaps
it is something we can improve in the future.

Please remember that the power supply/power consumption in the A2000 with
those built-in expansion slots is several times that of the A1000.  More
airflow is needed, which too often implies a bigger, noiser fan.  I was
forcibly reminded of this one day when I was testing an A500 prototype with
the old "zorro" expansion bus card, loaded with a disk contrller and 4 of
the 2MB memory cards.  It took quite a while to find a big enough power
supply and then I had to have one fan taped to the supply and one blowing
over the memory cards.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (10/19/87)

I realize that more airflow is needed in the A2000 after talking to one
of the Commodore Engineers at Amy Expo. But. Isn't it possible to use
a larger fan blade unit, running at a lower RPM ? I thought that most of
the fan noise was due to turbulence at the blade edges.
Most machines (maybe I'm wrong here) will be used in a quiet office,
which isn't quiet after enough noisy fans are installed via computers.
Maybe I should be talking to the power supply vendors instead.....
I'm sure glad the A500 is nice 'n quiet....
I can even hear my A1000 sometimes. I keep it on all the time
in a small bedroom, and it takes a while to get used to (I live in the
country where the outdoor ambient noise is low).

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/22/87)

in article <1663@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) says:

> I realize that more airflow is needed in the A2000 after talking to one
> of the Commodore Engineers at Amy Expo. But. Isn't it possible to use
> a larger fan blade unit, running at a lower RPM ? I thought that most of
> the fan noise was due to turbulence at the blade edges.  ...
> I can even hear my A1000 sometimes. I keep it on all the time
> in a small bedroom, and it takes a while to get used to (I live in the
> country where the outdoor ambient noise is low).

Maybe you've got an exceptionally loud A1000; mine can't be heard unless I
really concentrate on it from a close distance.

The A1000 does exactly what you suggest; it has a lower RPM, "hamster wheel"
style fan.  This fan, hidden in the power supply, extends nearly the full
length of the machine, though the diameter of the wheel is rather smallish.

The A2000's muffin fan basically trades speed for size.  It's got quite a bit
more cooling to do than the A1000, and less space for itself.  Any place you
could have put a hamster wheel fan, we've put an expansion slot or a disk
drive.
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

ccplumb@watmath.UUCP (10/23/87)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) says:
>> I can even hear my A1000 sometimes. I keep it on all the time
>> in a small bedroom, and it takes a while to get used to (I live in the
>> country where the outdoor ambient noise is low).
>
>Maybe you've got an exceptionally loud A1000; mine can't be heard unless I
>really concentrate on it from a close distance.

I've found it exceptionally quiet, too... I didn't notice my A1000
(Which I'm happily keeping!) *had* a fan for the first two days.  Then,
over about a year, the fan became noticeable.  When I took the machine
apart and got the dust out of the fan, it went back to silent.  (This
was a side effect of wanting to see the pawprint on the inside cover.)
--
	-Colin (watmath!ccplumb)

Zippy says:
If I felt any more SOPHISTICATED I would DIE of EMBARRASSMENT!