[comp.sys.amiga] Perfect Sound and the A2000

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (10/20/87)

Does the Perfect Sound digitizer from SunRize Industries work with
the A2000?  If not, can it be kludged to work?

Perhaps someone with both pieces of hardware has the answer.

		--M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu
BITNET: rainwalker@drycas (a uVax-1 run by CMU Computer Club)

"Boys living next door are never what they seem"
		--Bananarama, "Robert DeNiro's Waiting"

rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) (10/21/87)

In article <kVSmImy00WAEzL4079@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Does the Perfect Sound digitizer from SunRize Industries work with
>the A2000?  If not, can it be kludged to work?
>
>Perhaps someone with both pieces of hardware has the answer.

I just received a copy of Perfect Sound which I intended to run on my
2000, only to find it festooned with stickers reading "For Amiga 1000
Only" :-(.  The folks at Go Amiga claim that Mimetics is about to
release a new version of their sampler for the 2000/500, but by all
reports it has only 1/2 the sample rate of the Perfect Sound.  I called
the number GO AMIGA gave me, but it was bogus, and I can't get a real
phone for SunRize industries to see if they will make one that works.

I suspect that it uses the serial port, which is quite different from
that on the 1000, as reported in a host of previous postings.  I think
the sex is different, and no +5V (there goes my nice MIDI circuit I
built from the net schematic).

Does anyone out there know how to get in touch with SunRize Industries,
or know when/if they will adapt it to the 2000?

whitcomb@ic.uucp (Gregg Whitcomb) (10/22/87)

In article <2436@masscomp.UUCP> rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) writes:
>In article <kVSmImy00WAEzL4079@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>>Does the Perfect Sound digitizer from SunRize Industries work with
>>the A2000?  If not, can it be kludged to work?
>>
>>Perhaps someone with both pieces of hardware has the answer.

I also ordered a Perfect Sound digitizer and received it yesterday.  Rather
then sending it back (and probably face a restocking fee and shipping charges),
I'm planning on building a A2000<-->A1000 parallel adapter which should
be trivial (All the important signals are present on both).  Take a look
at the March (I think) issue of AmigaWorld where the pinout differences are
specified.  A serial port adapter will require a 5v regulator.

Note to C=: looking (again) at the A2000 manual update sheets, I indeed
located a warning about connecting A1000 devices up to the A2000.  I
suppose this warning is sufficient (I didn't really expect such a warning
to be printed on the machine for all reviewer's to complain about!).
The idea of ibm compatibility is acceptable to me.

Note to dealers: A quick way to make a buck: build the A2000<->A1000
adapters!  (then you could sell all your midi, digitizers, to new amiga
owners!

Gregg Whitcomb                              USENET: ucbvax!ic!whitcomb
					    ARPA:   whitcomb@ic.berkeley.edu

kirkb@pnet01.cts.com (Kirk Baker) (10/22/87)

{}

You might try calling MicroSearch at (713) 988-2818.  They say they have a
version of PerfectSound that works with the A500.  It goes on the Parallel
port.  The price looks to be the same, but I don't know if it will work on the
2000.

--
Kirk Baker      {ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax}!crash!pnet01!kirkb
                (Don't use pnet01!kirkb; try crash!pnet01!kirkb -- Thanks!)

My washing machine says 'Lid up prevents agitation.'  BTW, my lid is up!

rgd059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov (10/23/87)

In article <kVSmImy00WAEzL4079@andrew.cmu.edu> Michael Portuesi writes:
>Does the Perfect Sound digitizer from SunRize Industries work with
>the A2000?  If not, can it be kludged to work?
>
>Perhaps someone with both pieces of hardware has the answer.

No, the A1000 version will not work at all on the A2000 (or the A500),
because Commodore changed the important pinouts (like the power pins).
Even if you made a cable to swap the pins, it still doesn't work quite
right for some unknown reason.

We have designed an A500 version that works on the A2000, which will be
shipping in a couple of weeks.  It is a new design with a faster sampling
rate and on-board sample-and-hold.  Price is $89.95, same as the A1000
version.  Call SunRize Industries for upgrade information at (409)846-1311.

Disclaimer:  I do some part-time programming work for SunRize Industries.

Bob Deen  @  NASA-JPL Image Processing Lab
rgd059@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (10/23/87)

In article <1973@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> whitcomb@ic.UUCP (Gregg Whitcomb) writes:

     (Alot of lines removed to save space and please the net.gods :-)

>Note to dealers: A quick way to make a buck: build the A2000<->A1000
>adapters!  (then you could sell all your midi, digitizers, to new amiga
>owners!

  Well New-Tek (the folks who make Digi-View) have already done exactly this
  for their product. Im sure other hardware folks will either not be too far
  behind with adapters or will be releasing new 2000/500 versions in the near
  future.

>Gregg Whitcomb                              USENET: ucbvax!ic!whitcomb

--
   Dan Schein			 	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore Business Machines		or: {allegra|burdvax}!cbmvax!schein