[comp.sys.amiga] Reading MAC disks ?

ricko@well.UUCP (Richard J Otter) (09/25/87)

Is anyone working on a utility to read/write MacIntosh disks on the Amiga ?
Is it even possible given the variable speed of the Mac drives? ,
If all else fails, I'd like to try buying a Mac drive and controlling it
with the Amiga, any suggestions ? Using incompatable formats at work and home
makes life miserable !

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (09/25/87)

ST to be about 70% compatable with a mac. It is called "Magic Sac", and
it is pretty amazing. They are currently working on a "black box" that
will hook up between a ST's external drive and the main system, allowing
it to directly read and write _800k_ Mac disks. 400k disks will probably
never be supported, for a several reasons.
   They are also working on a version of the Magic Sac itself for the
Amiga, which should be out by the end of this year. Whether or not they
will have a similar interface for the Amiga remains to be seen. Hopefully
they will, because right now users of the Magic Sac have three formats to
deal with: ST, Mac and Magic.
   I want one!
Hal

In article <4028@well.UUCP> ricko@well.UUCP (Richard J Otter) writes:

> Is anyone working on a utility to read/write MacIntosh disks on the Amiga ?
> Is it even possible given the variable speed of the Mac drives? ,
> If all else fails, I'd like to try buying a Mac drive and controlling it
> with the Amiga, any suggestions ? Using incompatable formats at work and home
> makes life miserable !

There is a real question as to whether this is possible without some kind of
hardware to help out.  A while back some brave and clever people announced
that they thought they could make it work via software, but I haven't heard
anything lately.  Anybody heard any good news?

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) (10/19/87)

Data Pacific, the company that did the Mac emulator for the Atari ST, has come out
with a product that lets Mac disks be read on the ST.  With appropriate driver
software that box should work fine on the Amiga.

What their hardware is is a small Z80 based computer system that sits on the
floppy drive "bus" and looks at the raw data lines as they come off the drive.
Then some other processing is done (correcting for speed differences, etc.?)
and then the fully decoded Mac disk data is sent to another port (on the ST I think
they use the parallel port, but I'm not sure).

dgc

cp46@sdcc15.UUCP (Hartford) (10/21/87)

In article <984@dclemans.mntgfx.MENTOR.COM>
	dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) writes:

>Data Pacific, the company that did the Mac emulator for the Atari ST, has come out
>with a product that lets Mac disks be read on the ST.  With appropriate driver
>software that box should work fine on the Amiga.

I spoke with the folks from Data Pacific at a recent Atari show in
Glendale, CA, and they assured me that they had a version of their Mac
emulator working (sort of) on the Amiga, with the Amiga drive
reading and writing Mac formatted diskettes! No box necessary!

The monochrome display, however, won't be as nice as it is on the ST,
where many people use the super-high resolution monochrome monitor already.
The Amiga version will have two options: 1) interlace, and 2) leave out
every other scan line. I'm not quite sure how this second method would
work, but that's all I could get out of them. Apparently, they don't
want to talk about it until its ready to be released. (I can't
understand why not :-)

--
Stephen Hartford		       	//       cp46%sdcc15@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
people unclear on the concept:      \\ //      am10fme%sdcc2@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (10/22/87)

<
<I spoke with the folks from Data Pacific at a recent Atari show in
<Glendale, CA, and they assured me that they had a version of their Mac
<emulator working (sort of) on the Amiga, with the Amiga drive
<reading and writing Mac formatted diskettes! No box necessary!
<
<The monochrome display, however, won't be as nice as it is on the ST,
<where many people use the super-high resolution monochrome monitor already.
<The Amiga version will have two options: 1) interlace, and 2) leave out
<every other scan line.

Or 3) Go out an purchase a special monitor, just like the Atari folks did.
Unlike the Atari, you can have both hooked up at the same time.

I've only found long persentence monochrome monitors in Green and Amber...
had hope for white phospor.  Oh, well, green is the second favorite.

Oh, you say you don't have a A500 or A2000 with monochrome port?  Well, um,
it just is not going to look quite as nice... sorry!.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")  "I would have promised those terrorists a TRIP TO DISNEYLAND if it would
  U    have gotten the hostages released. I thank God they were satisfied with
       the missiles and we didn't have to go to that extreme."
				-- preliminary draft of Ollie's testimony

childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) (10/23/87)

In article <363@sdcc15.UUCP>, cp46@sdcc15.UUCP (Hartford) writes:
> In article <984@dclemans.mntgfx.MENTOR.COM>
> 	dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) writes:
>>Data Pacific, the company that did the Mac emulator for the Atari ST, has
>>come out with a product that lets Mac disks be read on the ST.  With
>>appropriate driver software that box should work fine on the Amiga.
>
>I spoke with the folks from Data Pacific at a recent Atari show in
>Glendale, CA, and they assured me that they had a version of their Mac
>emulator working (sort of) on the Amiga, with the Amiga drive
>reading and writing Mac formatted diskettes! No box necessary!

From what I heard, the reading of MAC disks is only with the ST version,
and that includes the disk-controller unit being needed.  I would think that
the same kind of box could be made for the Amiga as for the ST, but
Central Coast Software, the makers of Dos2Dos and Disk2Disk, havn't announced
any Mac2Amiga converters yet so I would be surprized if it can be done
easily.  They told me that the orignal version of Amiga Magic Sac would
come out with a Data Pacific TM format just like the ST has.  It might be
nice to have both the ST and Amiga version of floppy formats be compatible.

>The monochrome display, however, won't be as nice as it is on the ST,
>where many people use the super-high resolution monochrome monitor already.
>The Amiga version will have two options: 1) interlace, and 2) leave out
>every other scan line. I'm not quite sure how this second method would
>work, but that's all I could get out of them.

I would think that leaving out every other scan line would be just that.
It sounds hard to do, because the whole MAC screen would still be drawn to
RAM, but only half would be displayed.  A scrolling super-bitmap might be
a nice approach.  The other, but probably worse approach would be to just
have a small 640x200 MAC screen.  User selectability would be nice.

David Childs  Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075  childs@cadnetix.UUCP