[comp.sys.amiga] More A2000 Questions??

thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM (Scott A. Thomas) (10/23/87)

I have been just in touch with the local Amiga distributer and he gave me
some information that I think is incorrect.  So if the people in the know can
straighten this out it will make me very happy. :-)

Question:

	I thought that the A2000 came standard with a SCSI adapter built in.
	This would allow you to buy any SCSI compatible disk and slide it in
	and use it.  But according to the person I talked to you have to buy
	a special adapter card from Commadore before any hard disk will work
	or you can buy the bridge card and buy PC type adapters and disks.

	My question is what do you need to install a basic hard disk into
	an A2000 and make it with the Amiga side only?

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

--
Scott A. Thomas     	 CSNET S.Thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation		 ARPA  S.Thomas%Dayton.NCR.COM@relay.cs.net

In article <202@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM> thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM (Scott A. Thomas) writes:

> I have been just in touch with the local Amiga distributer and he gave me
> some information that I think is incorrect.  So if the people in the know can
> straighten this out it will make me very happy. :-)
>
> Question:
>
> 	I thought that the A2000 came standard with a SCSI adapter built in.
> 	This would allow you to buy any SCSI compatible disk and slide it in
> 	and use it.  But according to the person I talked to you have to buy
> 	a special adapter card from Commadore before any hard disk will work
> 	or you can buy the bridge card and buy PC type adapters and disks.
>
> 	My question is what do you need to install a basic hard disk into
> 	an A2000 and make it with the Amiga side only?

I sense confusion.  The basic A2000 comes with a single built-in floppy.
The *optional* A2090 hard-disk controller card supports both ST506/412
disk drives and floppy drives.  If you go for the bridgecard, you can also
add hardcards or other disk controller/drive combinations on the PC bus
side of things.

Warning: be sure to check the list of drives known to work with the A2090
controller that is included in the package.  SCSI drives are not quite
universal yet, and it would be unpleasant to be stuck with a drive and
controller that don't talk to each other...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (10/26/87)

in article <202@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM>, thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM (Scott A. Thomas) says:
> 	My question is what do you need to install a basic hard disk into
> 	an A2000 and make it with the Amiga side only?
> Thanks in advance for all of the help.
> Scott A. Thomas     	 CSNET S.Thomas@sertne.Dayton.NCR.COM

Right now, you can purchase an A2090 hard disk controller card, suggested
list is $399, and it is a DMA controller with 2 ST506 interfaces, and
SCSI (50 and 25 pin connectors).  Then you simply open PC World magazine...
and buy one of the million third party hard disk drives... :-)

	Paul.