[comp.sys.amiga] CBM BASHING

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (10/27/87)

I tried and tried to answer Mike's gripes in a reply, but realized in
the end that it is futile.  Mike, and whomever else feels so strongly
that we have done the world a disservice by introducing the A2000,
have obviously made their feelings well known, and I don't think we're
utilizing the net in the best way by continuing this discussion.  I'll
gladly respond further in mail.

Some customers want technology and computing elegance, other people
want productivity tools.  The IBM PC and all of its derivatives, give
people the latter, and the Amiga 1000 gave people the former but not
the latter until more software was available.  The software coming
out daily for the Amiga computers is requiring more and more memory,
hard disks, and more video capabilities.  These issues were addressed
in the A2000.  Want another 2Mb?  Slip in an A2052.  Want a hard disk?
Put in a PC Hardcard if you have the Bridgeboard or
an ST506 or SCSI drive with our A2090, or even both if you like.  Want
more video capabilities?  We've got video expansion slots which will
allow forthcoming video cards to give you that.  Granted you CAN do
all but the last with the A1000, but not as cleanly, and not without
a major increase in size.

If the A2000 is not for you - fine.  I'm just trying to tell you who
it is for - business, vertical markets, and a lot of University labs.

No-one is forcing you to upgrade to the A2000.  Cards for the A1000 are
still available, and as you mentioned, vendors will come out with
expansion devices for the A1000 that allow you to plug in cards designed
for the A2000.

The only thing I want to respond to is:

> It's the incredibly Charlie Brown act with the expansion specs,
> and the implied
> "if you fail to upgrade, you have no one to blame but yourself"
> that came from you guys.

Please don't misquote so badly.

You don't have to upgrade - whomever it was you THINK said that the
A2000 would be the only way to go was merely stating a commercial
reality, not a Commodore strategy.  That is, there will be more
cards designed for the A2000 than for the A1000.  Not something we
control, it's just bound to happen.  That's why it makes sense for
a lot (NOT EVERYONE) of people to upgrade.  As it is in your case,
there are a lot of people who prefer certain design features of the
A1000, and that's great, and the marketplace will support you.

	Please guys, let's try and be constructive.

		Paul.

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (10/27/87)

In article <2609@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) writes:
<Granted you CAN do
<all but the last with the A1000, but not as cleanly, and not without
<a major increase in size.

Major increase in size? Where? Adding a minirack to my A1000 adds
exactly 12 square inches to the footprint of my Amiga. 12 inches that
are otherwise totally unusable *anyway*, as they live behind the
external disk drive, and underneath it's cable.

There exist vertical SCSI drives, and I wouldn't be surprised to find
some drive that stacks on top of the stuff already sitting beside my
Amiga. No problem, and certainly not a "major increase in size."

<Cards for the A1000 are still available

Though at least one company - that deserves to be called major, as
they had no competition - has already abandoneded that market.

<> It's the incredibly Charlie Brown act with the expansion specs,
<> and the implied
<> "if you fail to upgrade, you have no one to blame but yourself"
<> that came from you guys.
<
<Please don't misquote so badly.

What quote? I don't see a quote in what I said. I *do* see quoted
text, which is tagged as being an implication. My OAD says that to
imply something is "to suggest without stating directly, to hint."

Please don't attribute your straw men to me.

<	Please guys, let's try and be constructive.

I've posted a constructive version of the flame you were replying to to
the net already. It's much to late for CBM to undo the damage they've
already done, and I suspect that there's no chance that it will
prevent such mistakes in the future. But it's at least worth a try.

Now, can you reciprocate by reading what is written, and not
overstating the case for the A2000?

	<mike
--
And then up spoke his own dear wife,			Mike Meyer
Never heard to speak so free.				mwm@berkeley.edu

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (10/27/87)

This whole discussion is pointless.
If you like your A1000 - keep it.
If you want an A2000 - upgrade.
If you don't like the A2000 - that's up to you - they're selling well
anyway.
The A2000 is an elegant solution to many people's computing needs.

	Paul.