[comp.sys.amiga] The other pointer image

rick@oresoft.UUCP (Rick Lahrson) (10/20/87)

All this talk about the Intuition pointer, SetPointer, ClearPointer,
reminds me that I don't recall ever seeing any documentation about
the little snoring cloud that shows up in place of the arrow/whatever
when the system is "busy".

Some questions:

	What constitutes "busy"?  Who determines it?  What causes
	the pointer to change?  What does it really mean, anyway?

	Is that image changeable/settable?  (It doesn't show up in
	preferences, like the regular pointer image.)  If so, how?

	Is it invokable from an application?  If so, how?

Anybody know anything about this gizmo?

--

Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick

Disclaimer:  If I ever speak for anyone but me, I'll warn you in advance.

bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (10/21/87)

In article <85@oresoft.UUCP> rick@oresoft.UUCP (Rick Lahrson) writes:
=-All this talk about the Intuition pointer, SetPointer, ClearPointer,
=-reminds me that I don't recall ever seeing any documentation about
=-the little snoring cloud that shows up in place of the arrow/whatever
=-when the system is "busy".
=-
=-Some questions:
=-
=-	What constitutes "busy"?  Who determines it?  What causes
=-	the pointer to change?  What does it really mean, anyway?
I believe that the cloud image is 'owned' by Workbench.  It swaps this in for
the regular sprite zero pointer image whenever it is busy doing something, like
clicked icon.  However, something out there is also watching for mouseclicks
while wb is busy, because clicking in another window (i.e. not the wb backdrop
window) sets the pointer back to the fat arrow, and re-clicking in the wb
window brings back the cloud.  This works even when wb hangs for some reason,
so there might be a task that keeps track of the ready/busy state of wb, and
sets the pointer accordingly.
=-
=-	Is that image changeable/settable?  (It doesn't show up in
=-	preferences, like the regular pointer image.)  If so, how?
Well, I don't know of a 'legal' way of getting to wherever the cloud image is,
but, if you have your heart set on personalizing your cloud, I suppose you
could grab the sprite 0 image data at the appropriate moment (I seem to
remember a 'dumpsprite' program(?)), search the wb code for that pattern, and
then zap a new image into place.  I've always wanted to try this, since the
damn cloud gets on my nerves.  When I ask wb to do something, I want it to tell
me that it's busy complying, not taking a nap.
=-
=-Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick

Thought for the day:  If you think writing concurrent programs is tough, try
GRADING them 8^[

/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|bryan@ratliff.cs.utexas.edu__|
___|_____|_____|_____|___{ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-sally!mothra.cs.utexas.edu!bryan
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____: uunting

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (10/21/87)

[]
In article <85@oresoft.UUCP> rick@oresoft.UUCP (Rick Lahrson) writes:
> ... I don't recall ever seeing any documentation about
>the little snoring cloud that shows up in place of the arrow/whatever
>when the system is "busy".
>	What constitutes "busy"?  Who determines it?

The Amiga is never "busy," because of multitasking. You can always pack
in that extra process, provided you have the memory. The "Zzz" image is
used by individual applications to indicate that they are busy. The
Workbench uses it whenever it does some lengthy (disk) operation. But, it
doesn't mean you have to sit back and get bored --- For instance, if you
open a CLI window, then go back to Workbench and do something that causes
a "Zzz" to appear, clicking on the CLI window should bring back the
normal arrow image, indicating that CLI isn't busy, just Workbench is.
(Of course, if you do something in the CLI that causes disk access to the
same disk Workbench is sweating over, then you might cause some (or a lot of)
trashing... But that's another story.)

I don't remember having  seen references to the "Zzz" icon either, and
judging from the small number of programs that actually do make use of it
(Workbench, DPaint II,... any others?) I think maybe it's not in the system
(and people have to cook their own up). But I might be wrong.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (10/21/87)

How about making the "busy/sleepy" icon part of preferences for the
next release? Can it be done without breaking anything? (People who
go into a running workbench to find it don't count here)...

Eric

ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst La., Piscataway, NJ 08854

klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin (with the fiberglass reinforced left foot) McBride) (10/22/87)

In article <3111@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>How about making the "busy/sleepy" icon part of preferences for the
>next release? Can it be done without breaking anything? (People who
>go into a running workbench to find it don't count here)...
>
>Eric

What?  You're afraid to patch a running program?  Sissy. :-)
We used to do it on our big IBM 370 *all* the time and it only
crashed once in a while.  Well, ok, most of the time.  But, it
was still a lot of fun!

Disclaimer:  :-) :-) :-)

--
Kevin McBride, the guy in the cast   //       | Your mind is totally controlled
Raquetball - the only way to        //        | It has been stuffed into my mold

page@ulowell.UUCP (10/22/87)

bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) wrote:
>I believe that the cloud image is 'owned' by Workbench...
>I don't know of a 'legal' way of getting to wherever the cloud image is

I think the Programmer's Suite, Book 1, has some functionality to
play with the wait pointer.  Available from CBM.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (10/24/87)

In article <1883@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) wrote:
>>I believe that the cloud image is 'owned' by Workbench...
>>I don't know of a 'legal' way of getting to wherever the cloud image is
>
>I think the Programmer's Suite, Book 1, has some functionality to
>play with the wait pointer.  Available from CBM.

   RJ's Programmer's Suite includes code and image data for putting up
your OWN WaitPointers within your own applications.  It does not muck
with the private WaitPointer image belonging to Workbench.

   And it should be available thru Fred Fish and possibly Amicus soon
(as soon as I get the final version and ship it to them).

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (10/24/87)

--
I have a program kicking around somewhere (I didn't write it) that replaces
the Z cloud with a little square that says "BUSY" in it. I'll try to track it

John
--
To preserve deniability, I have not informed the University of this posting.
But if I had, they would have been 100% behind it, yessirree bob.

peter@dalcsug.UUCP (10/25/87)

In article <2593@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>   RJ's Programmer's Suite includes code and image data for putting up
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have never heard of this before, is it something new or another name for
what we already have?   What else does it include?

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
>                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
>                     PHONE 215-431-9180
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Peter Philip

randy@bcsaic.UUCP (Randy Groves) (10/27/87)

In article <2593@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:

>   RJ's Programmer's Suite includes code and image data for putting up
>
>   And it should be available thru Fred Fish and possibly Amicus soon
>(as soon as I get the final version and ship it to them).

Well, well - it is going to make it out of the 'Black Hole' 8^)>

We'd heard rumors about it when RJ was up Seattle way a few months back.
Hope it's sooner than later.

And a belated (and continuing) thanks for CATS presence on the net!!

From the guy with the 'NICE beard!' ...

--
-randy groves - Boeing Advanced Technology Center
UUCP:	..!uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!randy     USNail: Boeing Computer Services