[comp.sys.amiga] IMPORTANT WARNING ... Amiga Virus Lo

boxdiger@altger.UUCP (10/20/87)

How to handle with the SCA Virus
--------------------------------
Ok guys, i'm living in Switzerland, where the Virus was programmed
by a very honourable Amiga Wizard of the Swiss Cracking Association
(I'm not a member of it....). Don't panic the Virus is very harmless
and don't damage your Computer. Now, i will try to explain how
it works.
First, when the Bootblock is loaded into Ram the Virus is copied
to $7ec00 (end of Chip Memory). Once there it changes the
WarmCapture Pointer in the ExecBase so it will be called by
hitting CTRL-AMIGA-AMIGA. Ok now the Virus resides in ur Amiga
and waits for someone to reset.
RESET: The Virus changes the Pointer of SendIO and returns to
the originial Bootroutine. This Routine loads block 0 and 1
in memory using SendIO. Now the Virus writes himself to
the Bootblock, destroying the old one (That's the only damage
that it will do). After this the Virus increments a counter
inside himself and after 15 infections it will come up with
a nice message of the form: "Something wonderfull happened..
your Amiga is alive !!!.. and even better... some of your Disk
are infected by a Virus... another masterpiece of the Megamighty
SCA !!!". After this nice Text appearing sourrounded by a red border
in the black screen the bootblock (the old one) will be executed
(for his last time, if the this wasn't write protected.). That's all
the Virus can do. The Virus is only dangerous in case of disks
which needs the bootblock to load a programm without using Dos.

Ok, i hope u don't be afraid of it any longer. But how to
throw it out of our machine while running. This is very simple.
Just hold the left mousebutton down while resetting. If then
the screen became green for a half second the Virus was in
your computer and even better; is now desactivated. (by him-
self of course..). The programmer of the Virus don't like
to have it on every Disk .... ok that's all...

I hope that nobody will use this idea to create a bad virus.

<^_^> Patrick Guelat......

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\ French Name, living in Switzerland, using a german system    /
/                                                              \
\ Replies, questions and money to :                            /
/                                                              \
\ ..mcvax!unido!altger!boxdiger                  or            /
/ ..mcvax!unido!altger!althh!boxdiger                          \
\ ..altmail!altger!boxdiger                                    /
/                                                              \
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (10/22/87)

In article <15000002@altger.UUCP> boxdiger@altger.UUCP writes:

>How to handle with the SCA Virus
>--------------------------------
>Ok guys, i'm living in Switzerland, where the Virus was programmed
>by a very honourable Amiga Wizard of the Swiss Cracking Association
>(I'm not a member of it....). Don't panic the Virus is very harmless
>and don't damage your Computer.

WHOAA!  Thats not exactly true. While the VIRUS will not damage your
	hardware it could very well destroy some commercial products!!
	There are quite a few commercial games that use the boot block
	to store information and copy protection schemes if the VIRUS
	overwrites this information ZAPP goes your game!!!

	Just another good reason to run from backups!!

				Bill Koester (CATS)

Bill Koester -- CBM  >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,rutgers,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!bill
Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!!!!!

flax@suadb.UUCP (Jonas Flygare) (10/23/87)

in article <15000002@altger.UUCP>, boxdiger@altger.UUCP says:
> (I'm not a member of it....). Don't panic the Virus is very harmless
> and don't damage your Computer. Now, i will try to explain how
> it works.
> That's all
> the Virus can do. The Virus is only dangerous in case of disks
> which needs the bootblock to load a programm without using Dos.

Not damage my computer I can buy, but harmless.... My guess is that any
program that needs the bootblock is a commercial one, therefore bought,
probably for muchos dineros.. You can take a good guess about my feelings
towards any person that ruins software I paid $$$ for.. Also, to get the virus
out, one has to check *all* diskettes, and I have several 100s..

/I-still-want-to-punch-that-guy-in-the-face-flax at his terminal.

--
| "Go to the Huntington Gallery and hold a razor blade a quarter of     |
|  an inch away from "The Blue Boy" and shout "Ding dong, ding dong...""|

ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) (10/27/87)

In article <411@suadb.UUCP> flax@suadb.UUCP (Jonas Flygare) writes:

>Not damage my computer I can buy, but harmless.... My guess is that any
>program that needs the bootblock is a commercial one, therefore bought,
>probably for muchos dineros.. You can take a good guess about my feelings
>towards any person that ruins software I paid $$$ for.. Also, to get the virus
>out, one has to check *all* diskettes, and I have several 100s..

Ok, but did you ever Heard of THE WRITE PROTECT TAB ???
And by the way, if you really have to use a disk which needs the bootblock
so press the left mouse button while resetting..
I have the Virus on several Disks, but i don't panic about it...
(Males are ever scared about nothing !.)

No_smiling_faces_or_other_signatures_available

UUCP: ...lll-lcc!well!ans

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/27/87)

In article <4306@well.UUCP> ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) writes:
>In article <411@suadb.UUCP> flax@suadb.UUCP (Jonas Flygare) writes:
>>
>>Not damage my computer I can buy, but harmless.... My guess is that any
>Ok, but did you ever Heard of THE WRITE PROTECT TAB ???

Yup...most people have.  Unfortunately, some game companies have
as well, so they do games that may only be played with the
game disk write unprotected.  (Little Computer people springs to mind...)

And lets not discuss hard disks, which generally don't come with
hardware write protects, except to suggest that you don't allow your
hard disk to boot (don't let the binddrivers to execute) when trying strange
aquired software that you don't have source to.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."

nj@ndmath.UUCP (Narciso Jaramillo) (10/28/87)

In article <4306@well.UUCP>, ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) writes:
> Ok, but did you ever Heard of THE WRITE PROTECT TAB ???

Some commercial, copy-protected, bootblock-needing programs require the tab to
be off in order to carry out their various nefarious schemes.

> And by the way, if you really have to use a disk which needs the bootblock
> so press the left mouse button while resetting..

Yes, but forget once, and it's goodbye software.

> I have the Virus on several Disks, but i don't panic about it...
> (Males are ever scared about nothing !.)

If I had the virus, I certainly would panic about it.  Whose word do we have
that it might not do something extremely nasty?  Better to get rid of it
than have a potential REAL trojan.

Even worse, suppose this virus turns out to be completely harmless.  What if
someone releases a virus that *looks* the same but is deadly?  Much better
to be safe from the beginning.

> No_smiling_faces_or_other_signatures_available
>
> UUCP: ...lll-lcc!well!ans

nj
--
nj: ...!ihnp4!iuvax!ndmath!nj, ...!ucbvax!mica!nj