[comp.sys.amiga] Progress, price of

jack@cca.UUCP (10/23/87)

I sympathize with the people who bought Amiga 1000s when they came out
and are stuck with hardware that they cannot move to the 2000. I really
do.  My desk is currently occupied by my shiny new A2000 and a five-year
old IBM PC gathering dust. A real early one with a cassette port.

I'd like to point out a few things. First of all, incompatability is
what you have to pay for progress sometimes. The company we all love to
hate (no, not Apple, the other one), is the prime example.  They really
prove the point about history repeating itself - they produced dinosaurs
that turned into fossils. They stagnate because they are so mired in
their past. I haven't seen too many complaints about incompatability
with earlier Commodore machines. Now I do agree that the 2000 is
functionally very close to the 1000. Something extra like protected
memory, or higher resolution would have been nice, but I still like the
machine.

Second point: Commodore is being very decent about the whole thing. You
don't hear about IBM or Apple offering to buy back their old machines at
*any* price. Sun and Dec do this sort of thing, but in the world of
affordable machines, no one but Commodore makes such an offer.

*** NEAT IDEA: ***

Maybe Commodore could attract more customers with the following
strategy:  Trade in your old IBM PC/XT/AT whatever, pay $x000, and get a
2000 (maybe with a bridge card).

Jack Orenstein

This is not a disclaimer.

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph Piazza) (10/25/87)

In article <20904@cca.CCA.COM> jack@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Jack Orenstein) writes:

>... You don't hear about IBM or Apple offering to buy back their old machines
>at *any* price. ... but in the world of affordable machines, no one but
>Commodore makes such an offer.

	Just to set the record straight, Apple offered a Mac X/Lisa trade in
for a Mac+ and 20Meg hard disk for $1500.

	I also think that the A1000 -> A2000 trade in is good deal.  I just
don't have $1000 (not to mention a buy-back) to do it.  :-(

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs

cs313s02@uhccux.UUCP (Cs313s02) (10/28/87)

In article <6085@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@marvin.UUCP (Joseph Piazza) writes:

>In article <20904@cca.CCA.COM> jack@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Jack Orenstein) writes:

>>... You don't hear about IBM or Apple offering to buy back their old machines
>>at *any* price. ... but in the world of affordable machines, no one but
>>Commodore makes such an offer.
>
>	Just to set the record straight, Apple offered a Mac X/Lisa trade in
>for a Mac+ and 20Meg hard disk for $1500.

      But the Apple Lisa/ Mac XL was somewhere around $10,000!  That comes
out to about $11,500 for a Mac + and 20M HD...  Slightly on the expensive
side...  At least $1295 + $1000 for an A2000 sounds a bit more reasonable.

>	I also think that the A1000 -> A2000 trade in is good deal.  I just
>don't have $1000 (not to mention a buy-back) to do it.  :-(

      Try sell your A1000.  I know plenty of people who would gladly get
an Amiga-1000 for somewhere around $600, including me!  8-)