[comp.sys.amiga] Gemini 10x + Amiga 2000 = 0 output

billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) (10/28/87)

Hi, I've recently upgraded my A1000 to an A2000, and can't get the 2000 to
talk to my Gemini 10x printer. It worked just fine with the 1000. Things
I've tried include:

5 IBM style printer cables from 4 different manufacturers (The 2000 IS supposed
to be IBM compatable isn't it?)

Tried printer and cable(s) with Compaq Plus PC-Clone, printer and cable(s)
worked fine. (So I know that the printer still works...)

Tried a different A2000 at my dealer's it didn't work either.

Tried several printer preferences, although "epson" always worked just fine
on the A1000....

Tried both the 2000 1.2 dos, and my old A1000 1.2 dos, nope, nothing.

Double checked and confirmed the printer was in PC compatability mode, even
though it works fine with the Compaq.

Added and subtracted disk drives, mice, etc. to see if that made a difference,
again, nope.

Tried different brand printer with 2000, this worked. (But I WANNA USE MINE!)

So each of the parts (printer, cable, A2000) work by themselves, but not
together.

(The printer does do a reset when I reboot Amy2, but it's lips are sealed!)

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE AN A2000 TALKING TO A Gemini 10x? HOW DID YOU
DO IT???????

						Bill Hansen
						billh@teklim.LIM.TEK.COM

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <2085@tekig4.TEK.COM> billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) writes:
> Hi, I've recently upgraded my A1000 to an A2000, and can't get the 2000 to
> talk to my Gemini 10x printer. It worked just fine with the 1000. Things
> I've tried include:
>
> 5 IBM style printer cables from 4 different manufacturers
> (The 2000 IS supposed to be IBM compatable isn't it?)
>
> Tried printer and cable(s) with Compaq Plus PC-Clone, printer and cable(s)
> worked fine. (So I know that the printer still works...)
>
> Tried a different A2000 at my dealer's it didn't work either.

> DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE AN A2000 TALKING TO A Gemini 10x? HOW DID YOU
> DO IT???????

Bill, I tried a Gemini 10x on an A2000 in the lab today, and after some
confusion occasioned by a !@#$%^&*() Amiga printer cable with the !@#$%^&*()
wrong sex connector, it worked just fine.  I am inclined to think there is
something a little wierd about your printer, but don't know where to point
the finger right off.  First though, I'd check the A2000 - if you have a
voltmeter or something similar.  Disconnect the printer cable and reset
the machine.  You should find that pin's 1-13 of the connector are all
at around +5 volts.  Pin 14 should be at 5 volts, pin 15 isn't connected,
pin 16 should go low when you hold down the reset keys.  I'd be most
suspicious about pin 13 which could be held grounded by some confusion in
the EIA ring indicate circuit or pin 1 which is connected to the video slot
by a jumper which might have been tacked on in the wrong place.  Pins 2-9
are the data lines, and might only go high during reset.

That's all I can think of now, please let me know via e-mail or otherwise
how you make out...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...