[comp.sys.amiga] 1000-2000 upgrade, hackers, the Mac, net wars, reassurances

karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/30/87)

Boy, a lot of people are flaming Commodore for the 1000 to 2000 upgrade.
Considering the hosing Apple gave original 128K Macintosh buyers and
Commodore's own history of introducing incompatible machines, I'd say
we got off very, very easily.

John Campbell, a former (and possibly current) editor of Analog once
wrote that pioneering amounts to finding new and more horrible ways
to die.  Amiga buyers, particularly early ones, were pioneers, and
as such they risked seeing their investment in the Amiga, in both time
and money, die.

Imagine if Commodore had released an incompatible machine, like,
one that used the 386 instead of the 68000.  Blammo, slow death for the
A1000 as it suffocates from lack of exposure (not enough machines to
support a major software market, perhaps the biggest complaint 'til now
anyway).  On the other hand, C= really couldn't afford to do that
as they couldn't afford the typical one to two year wait for software.
This way, the software is already ready.

Also, I think C= realizes how much of the 1000 population is composed
of hackers  (I mean the good kind of hackers of course).  I read of a
study done of early buyers of the first runnable-out-of-the-box machine,
the Apple ][, and the vast majority of buyers in the first couple of years
were professional programmers.  I think the phenomenal success of that
machine can be attributed to this, and to its expandibility and low
price.  My point is that Apple had the hackers and then abandoned them.
The closed architecture, monochrome, expensive (at first) Mac did not
excite the hackers I know when it came out.

Hackers bought the Amiga since it's release because it is the coolest
home computer by far ever.  I don't care if that can't be explained in
a 30-second commercial:  multitasking, the blitter, graphics coprocessor,
Intuition, the CLI.  Remember the first time you pulled down the Boing
screen and did stuff with the workbench while Boing was still running and
you could still hear the Boing audio? I knew when I saw Boing, Robocity,
the workbench, its demos and the CLI that this was the machine for me.

So, all these hackers went out and bought Amigas.  And we suffered
through the lack of software (other than a few goodies: dpaint, the
development tools, Fred Fish's work) and a stinky bus-extending edge
connector (I agree that costs had to be kept down) and at least
three revisions of the external bus specifications to which the death of
several fledgling hardware vendors is directly attributable.  (A side
note is that the bus is unlikely to change again for a long time now that
the 2000 has a slotted backplane inside a cabinet.)

Nonetheless, through all that rocky history, the machine and company are
still here, now capable of playing for two new market niches (the
all-important mammoth home market with the A500 and the low-end-high-end
CAD/CAM/video production/scientific/personal workstation niches with the
A2000.)

...and Commodore still has the hackers.  If you don't think so then have
a look at the cat demo from the BADGE killer demo contest.  (and the
others too, they're totally incredible)

So, to the people who are bummed out about the minor incompatibilities:
It could be worse.  C= could have died.  They could have come out with
an incompatible machine.  They didn't.  The A500 is going to vastly
increase the market for Amiga programs.  Consequently, there should be
much more software coming out for the Amiga 1000.  Furthermore, from a
software standpoint, the machines are extremely compatible.  They didn't
go to the Fat Agnes, for whatever reason, which improved compatibility.
These A1000s that have several meg of RAM are still killer machines for
developing software for the Amiga product line.  Sure the 2000 is the
ultimate for developers who can afford them, but almost every program
that's come out *could* have been developed on the 500.  No doubt many
awesome programs will be developed on the 500.

Commodore is doing a *wonderful* job supporting 1000 users by maintaining
software compatibility, coming out with the market-widening 500 and 2000
and by subsidizing 1000 to 2000 upgrades.  I think that upgrade deal
demonstrates a continuing committment to their early customers, the
hackers, of which one would be hard put to find any comparable examples
in the business.  I don't think Atari, Apple or IBM give a damn about
hackers.  (Note how quickly we had the docs on the internals compared to
the ST guys.  Also, one could immediately develop code with the Amiga.
The first Mac programmers had to cross-compile from a Lisa!)

Incidentally, I was in a Federated here in Houston today.  They have a big
new Atari display, and the salesman confidently informed me that the Amiga
2000 had been discontinued.  He was quite certain.  Now that I've set him
straight I wonder if he'll stop telling people that...or not.

Finally, regarding the lengthy reposting of the message from
rec.music.synth where some guy flamed the Amiga, calling it a game machine
and such, let's not start another net war over it, as the guy who
did the reposting seems to want us to do.  The guy flamed the Mac too,
which was pretty dumb, because the Mark of the Unicorn MIDI software and
the DigiDesign sample editing stuff is absolutely incredible and is
the one reason why I would like to have a Mac.  Anyway, calling Ami a
good game machine is actually a really nice complement.  What does one
want in a game machine?  A really fast processor, really good fast
graphics, bunches of colors, high-quality sound, lots of memory...stuff
that just happens to be quite useful for many other activities as well.

>Boy, a lot of people are flaming Commodore for the 1000 to 2000 upgrade.
>Considering the hosing Apple gave original 128K Macintosh buyers and
>Commodore's own history of introducing incompatible machines, I'd say
>we got off very, very easily.

	What, you want the Amiga to be compatible with the C64???
I Apple hadn't hosed those poor people, Apple would be hosed itself.
Actually, only a couple of people have flamed C-A for the upgrade.  The rest
of us either have no opinion or agree with C-A  (I personally agree with the
upgrade even though I do not intend to by an A2000 anytime soon).

>Imagine if Commodore had released an incompatible machine, like,
>one that used the 386 instead of the 68000.  Blammo, slow death for the
>A1000 as it suffocates from lack of exposure (not enough machines to

	C-A wouldn't want to do that anyway.  Most people in this newsgroup
don't give a  (--bleep--) for Intel or their processor line.

>Hackers bought the Amiga since it's release because it is the coolest
>home computer by far ever.  I don't care if that can't be explained in
>a 30-second commercial:  multitasking, the blitter, graphics coprocessor,
>Intuition, the CLI.

	The OS that made it all possible!  I don't know about all of you,
but I was attracted to the extremely loveable operating system that allowed
us Hackers to, well, hack, and make it all compatible.  The best feature of
the OS is multitasking, of course.

>in the business.  I don't think Atari, Apple or IBM give a damn about
>hackers.  (Note how quickly we had the docs on the internals compared to
>the ST guys.  Also, one could immediately develop code with the Amiga.
>The first Mac programmers had to cross-compile from a Lisa!)

	Actually, Atari is the company that always had the great hacker
base.  Unfortunetly they made some *huge* mistakes with the ST.  For
instance, with every other company turning to a more sophisticated operating
system, Atari stayed low-level with a 'proven' IBM-like OS, even down to
using IBM's disk formats.  As it turned out, they were still sufficiently
different that the 'compatibility' wasn't worth a damn, and now they can't
even effectively upgrade the machine without introducing huge
incompatibilities.

					-Matt

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (10/31/87)

In article <940@sugar.UUCP> karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>Boy, a lot of people are flaming Commodore for the 1000 to 2000 upgrade.

	Huh?  I can't think of one.  Flames about design changes on the 2000
and 500, yes.

	Can the remaining 99 lines be worth reading?