[comp.sys.amiga] U2 and Amiga 500

nasa@ms.uky.edu (Eric Freeman) (10/24/87)

This message might be better suited for rec.music.misc but at the U2 show
last night here in Lexington, KY I looked down at the mixing boards and
what did I see?  Thats right a Commodore Amiga 500!  Boy was I proud, haha.
They appeared to be using the Amiga for control of the lighting system although
I am not sure, I was not close enough to it to be able to tell.  Just thought
some of you might be interested, if anyone has information about this please
send it to me.

Eric Freeman		        	  		"A spirit with a vision
freeman@dftnic.gsfc.nasa.gov  		  		 is a dream with a
freeman@ssvs.gsfc.nasa.gov				 mission"
nasa@e.ms.uky.edu					       Neil Peart

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (10/27/87)

In article <7566@g.ms.uky.edu> nasa@ms.uky.edu (Eric Freeman) writes:
>This message might be better suited for rec.music.misc but at the U2 show
>last night here in Lexington, KY I looked down at the mixing boards and
>what did I see?  Thats right a Commodore Amiga 500!  Boy was I proud, haha.
>They appeared to be using the Amiga for control of the lighting system although
>I am not sure, I was not close enough to it to be able to tell.  Just thought
>some of you might be interested, if anyone has information about this please
>send it to me.

Well, you may not beleive this, but is was a C128 used for controlling
the color changers mounted on the PAR cans. I know this because I
designed the system for a lighting company near here who later sold off
their lighting equipment to another company who now handles U2.

So, sorry it wasn't a A500, but at least it was a Commodore. :-).

Hedley

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <7566@g.ms.uky.edu> nasa@ms.uky.edu (Eric Freeman) writes:
>This message might be better suited for rec.music.misc but at the U2 show
>last night here in Lexington, KY I looked down at the mixing boards and
>what did I see?  Thats right a Commodore Amiga 500!  Boy was I proud, haha.
>They appeared to be using the Amiga for control of the lighting system although
>I am not sure, I was not close enough to it to be able to tell.

   That may have been Hedley's C128 controller, but Joy from Mimetics has
told me that there are bands and stage managers using Amigas for MIDI
lighting control via a special Soundscape module.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (11/01/87)

In article <2667@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>   That may have been Hedley's C128 controller, but Joy from Mimetics has
>told me that there are bands and stage managers using Amigas for MIDI
>lighting control via a special Soundscape module.

Last Fall I went to the Peter Gabriel concert in Cleveland, and he was using
an A1000 to control the synthesizers.  Sorry, we were a little too far away
to be able to see what software he was using.  If you listen closely to the
So album, you can hear a little video whine, sounds like an Amiga to me.

--
	-Ken Baer.
"Press the button labeled 'Extreme Emergency' on the console" - The Doctor.