[comp.sys.amiga] Timesaver reviews

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/02/87)

Here are the two replies I received in response to my original request
for reviews on Cltd's Timesaver. Sorry I'm so late in reposting them.

Date: Sun, 20 Sep 87 22:58:25 EST
Subject: C-Ltd Timesaver....impressions

I bought the Timesaver (GO-AMIGO about $65) after reading the
AmigaWorld article.  I found that the article was rather complete
and accurate -- in fact, it cover every feature.

Autodate set -- I use VD0: also.   There is a time delay before the
Timesaver interupts (this is described in the article).  Whenever
I started cold, I have not gotten the Workbench disk in fast enough
(Note, I don't think Speedy Gonzoles could either) to get the
interrupt to take effect.  It has on warm boot without any trouble
(when workbench in already in the drive).  The good news is that
the delay is settable.  I have not tried it yet, but it is possible
to set this delay from 0 to 31.5 secs.  I haven't decided if I want
the time to be set automatically yet (Probably will check out a reasonable
delay time after I finish this message).

Compatibility -- The history command is really geared for the CLI environment.
I tried one or two histories while in an application program (VT100 for example)
and had erratic results.  The only program that I have that uses
the help key is WordPerfect.  I have not used it enough to find
out if it significantly conflicts.  Note that there are two
features on Timesaver, the ROM escapes and the RAM macros.  The
user defines the escape sequence for the RAM macros, so some
conflicts could be judiciously defined.  The Timesaver macros
(both at once) can be switched on/off to avoid conflicts
(note that this device is most useful in the CLI environment anyway).

Conman -- I have had Conman conflict with some of my other
programs and have elected not to use it.  (These were problems
with the other programs, I believe)  Therefore, I welcome
the Timesaver.  If you do not have any problems with Conman, then
the Timesaver could be an expensive clock  -- but, you can define neat
macros to set up your system for a particular application ( the
manual gives an example where all of the appropriate libraries,
programs, etc. are set up for a modula2 development session).
I suppose you could have script setups to do the same.

Kludges -- Personally, I think the autodate set is rather
elegant.  It is the easiest 100% implementation (no files to
edit).  Having to turn off the Timesaver macros to avoid
conflicts can be kludgy, but I have not found any conflicts
(YET).

Recommendation -- The AmigaWorld article about the Timesaver was
probably the most complete and accurate article that I have read.
You need to decide if its worth it.

Mitchell L. Griffin      [ griffinm@ecn.purdue.edu ]
/317/494/1198/

Date:         Thu, 24 Sep 87 16:55:39 PDT
From: "LT Scott A. Norton, USN" <uplherc!oodis01!lll-tis!ames!rutgers!NAVPGS.RUTGERS.EDU!4526P>
Subject:      Re: Cltd's Timesaver (how about a review?)

A fellow user in the local Amiga User's group has the Cltd
Timesaver, and I think its the biggest kludge this side of the Rube
Goldberg factory.  It has the strong air of a PC device, where,
since you don't have the OS hooks, you lie to the system.  The
Timesaver's only real advantage is that it doesn't take up any
valuable interface ports.  Its ability to provide keymapping is
worthless, since it co-opts the OS's well-designed keymapping
capability.  It always gets in the way, so if you use Timesaver to
remap certain keys, you never can see the keycodes.  So, if you want
F1 to be 'info' for you CLI window, but to have some other mapping for
your VT100 emulator, you are out of luck.

As a clock, its kludgy, but slightly clever.  As a keymapper, it is
worse than a waste; it is an intrusive device that disables the
Amiga OS's flexable and programmable software keymapping.  There is
a much better, software based keymapper, called SetKey, from
CodeWorks, Inc., for $25.  A demo version is available on Fish Disk
#70.

Disclaimers: 1. I'm not affiliated with any of the vendors mentioned.
2. These opinions are my own, and not those of the DoD or the US Navy.

LT Scott A. Norton, USN
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, CA 93943-5018
4526P@NavPGS.BITNET
( From Internet, if you need a gateway, use
   4526p%navpgs.bitnet@jade.berkley.edu
or 4526p%navpgs.bitnet@ucscc.ucsc.edu
The wiscvm gateway will close 15 Dec 87. )

P.S. I've lost my Usenet access.  If you think this message deserves it,
please repost it, or post a summary.  -SAN

Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
		{ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!esunix!blgardne
"I don't see no points on your ears boy, but you sound like a Vulcan!"