[comp.sys.amiga] copper list legality

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (11/02/87)

In article <946@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Is it considered kosher to play with the copper lists the way, for example,
>Marauder // does (for its rainbow background)? I hope not... 'cos that
>will hurt you should you ever support Intuition on other display cards.

Since the graphics.library has User Copperlist calls I'd say yes.
As long as the CINIT, CWAIT, CMOVE route is used the list will
be independent of the specific hardware implementation.

That still does not answer your question.  What about a display
card with no copper of any sort?  Good programs would just check
the return code from CINIT and do somthing sensible.  (Marauder //
would just get less flashy, RainBench and Wavebench would refuse
to execute.)

What?? You say CINIT does not return a result?? Get out that
high pitched voice and say:

	"Neeeever Miiiind"

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the "official" position might
be on this point, but I'd like to see MrgCop() clip user copper
lists to at *least* the bottom of the screen, and see CINIT
return a well defined success code.  Of course I'd rather see
Intuition running on multiple monitors...

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	"You can count how many seeds are in an Apple, but not how
	 many Apples are in a seed." -Ken Kesey