[comp.sys.amiga] DECNET

jdp@killer.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/29/87)

Hello, does anyone out there have any information on current (or RSN) products
to connect the A2000 to DECNET?  I have heard that Ameristar had an Ethernet
card for the A1000, but I haven't been able to find a valid phone number for
them.

                                      Thanks,
                                              Jim Pritchett

Yes, life does have an instruction book.  It is called the Bible.

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (11/02/87)

In article <1938@killer.UUCP> jdp@killer.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
<Hello, does anyone out there have any information on current (or RSN) products
<to connect the A2000 to DECNET?  I have heard that Ameristar had an Ethernet
<card for the A1000, but I haven't been able to find a valid phone number for
<them.

As of last time I checked, AmeriStar offered TCP/IP + NFS, and a
StarNet (I think, it's the DataPoint software) option for their card.
Not DECNET. Of course, you could add TCP/IP to a VMS system playing
gateway to the A2000 net.

They have dropped their Zorro I card (thanx to CBM <- obligatory
derogatory comment), and probably their SOTS card. They do sell a
Zorro II card, and it works in the A2000 (at least the one I used did
:-).

I've lost the phone number I used, but you have to be persistent.
They're a small company, and tend to vanish completely when there's a
conference. It toom ke about two weeks to get in touch with them.

	<mike
--
[Our regularly scheduled .signature preempted.]		Mike Meyer
The Amiga 1000: Let's build _the_ hackers machine.	mwm@berkeley.edu

rtolly@cca.CCA.COM (Bob Tolly) (11/02/87)

In article <1938@killer.UUCP> jdp@killer.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>Hello, does anyone out there have any information on current (or RSN) products
>to connect the A2000 to DECNET?  I have heard that Ameristar had an Ethernet
>card for the A1000, but I haven't been able to find a valid phone number for
>them.

My wife's company is in the process of porting the Mac product TSSnet to
the Amiga.  This provides DECnet End-node support, along with virtual terminal,
VMS Mail, network file transfer and remote file access.  TSSnet on the Mac
is being marketed by Alisa Systems.  It has not yet been determined how
the Amiga product will be marketed - discussions are underway with
Thursby Software Systems, the developers of TSSnet.  Also not clear
is what the demand for an Amiga version will be - feel free to send
me email if you have opinions on this.  The Amiga version will have
asynch DDCMP support, and discussions have started with Ameristar
to get information to allow support for their Ethernet board.

Ameristar's phone number is (516) 698-0834 , by the way.

Bob Tolly  rtolly@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (11/02/87)

Ameristar doesn't sell Zorro I boards any more (don't know if they
ever did, actually), only Zorro II.

I know of a DECNET port to the Amiga, but it won't be RSN.  I think it
will use the Ameristar board but might use serial line DDCMP as well.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}