[comp.sys.amiga] PaintJet printer?

lwall@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) (10/20/87)

Has anyone hooked up an HP PaintJet, and if so, how well does it work?
I haven't seen any reviews here yet, and it looks to me like someone should
post one.  Is there a decent driver for it yet?

Larry Wall
lwall@devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

In article <583@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> Larry Wall writes:
>Has anyone hooked up an HP PaintJet, and if so, how well does it work?
>I haven't seen any reviews here yet, and it looks to me like someone should
>post one.  Is there a decent driver for it yet?

Yes, yes, yes. Nick Flor posted an article about 5 months ago about it, and
announced he'd written a driver. It is a very nice printer, excellent
resolution (120 dpi in both X and Y) and like most HP products, extremely
well build. The price is right too (about $1295, I think).

My only complaint with it would be that the 'red' is a bit too orange. Not
as bad as the Canon, and no worse than the Xerox (whose red has a bit too
much blue component to it).

If I was in the market for a color printer and I could'nt spring almost
$10,000 for a tek (now there is REAL red) the HP would be the one I
would get.

(Oh, BTW, I found the Canon liquidator's number and they are indeed
sold out. DAK still has them but they are the bogus Quadram version -
perhaps one could copy the ROMS from a Canon. Plus, they want $500 for
it, with some stupid PC programs. They were going for $199, but
DAK is not a cheap place.)

I dont have any direct experience using it so I cant comment on how easy
to buy/replace consumables are, or how fast it goes through them. Anything
has to be better than that cursed Xerox printer thoughh

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my imprcory ley

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (10/23/87)

In article <2005@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
+
+ (Oh, BTW, I found the Canon liquidator's number and they are indeed
+ sold out. DAK still has them but they are the bogus Quadram version -
+ perhaps one could copy the ROMS from a Canon. Plus, they want $500 for
+ it, with some stupid PC programs. They were going for $199, but
+ DAK is not a cheap place.)
+
+
+ --
+ Richard J. Sexton

I've got the Quadram printer that I bought from BCE wholesalers.  I was
fortunate enought not to have to take a deal with all of the crummy PC
software.  While the Quadram has different ROMs, there are a bunch of
printer drivers floating around for them.  I can't comment on the text
quality, since I have another printer for that, but the color graphics
dumps looks as good as the Canon version.  An for $125, I couldn't have
gone wrong.  BTW, I believe that the text on the Quadram had descenders,
while I don't think the Canon version does.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (11/04/87)

I have been working with the HP paintjet for some time now, it is really
quite a printer.  I have been lusting after a printer from Howtek in
NH (is that New Hampshire?).  This is a 240 (with a half pixel offset
for a 480) resolution printer.  It prints on plane paper, it prints
dry, really clean.  Good professional printer ($4700 or so).  It sounds
expensive, but it stands about 4 feet high, so if you by printers by the
yard this is a really good buy.  Then came the Cal Comp printer at
Siggraph this year.  That was about the same resolution as the Howtek,
but it cost $5000, it was only a foot or so high, and it needed clay
paper.  Then came the HP.  I think that it was Commodore that put us on
to the printer, but under 1.3 there is a really good printer driver for
it.  I have been using it for several months, and as far as ink jet
printers go, this one is impressive.  The cartridge can be poped out
at anytime, there is a little sponge on it that cleans it every time
the heads are parked, there is a pump on one side to prime it before
inserting the cartridge.  There is NEVER any muss or fuss, and you can
even turn the printer upside down and set it back and it will still
be clean.  Anyway, I like the printer, go to a trade show and see
Infinity or NewTek showing off their printing capability with it.
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu