[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drives and Interface

Dave@daami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP (Dave Allen) (11/03/87)

                             Warning!
                             -=-=-=-
The following message may be taken as an advertisement and therefore
may offend Net users. The intention is to make inexpensive Hard Drive
systems available to members of Amiga Users Groups. The WEDGE was
developed by Jim Brooks, a member of our User Group, who has devoted
many hours to helping members with hardware problems and development.

If this type of message offends you please type N now.

        Hard Drive systems available for the AMIGA
           * Shipping and handling are extra *

Special for Amiga User Groups Members

The WEDGE, a hard drive interface board for the AMIGA 1000 and 500.
Allows you to connect up to 4 160 Megabyte IBM style hard drives.
Requires Drive Controller card - suggested Western Digital WX1

$175.00 CDN Funds  User Group Price
$195.00 CDN Funds  non-user group price

        Package Number 1

20 Megabyte Half Height Hard Drive - MiniScribe 3638,
Western Digital Controller - WX1 (will control up to 2 Hard drives)
The WEDGE (as above),
Half Height Case (will hold 2 Half Height Drives) with Power supply.

824.00 User Group Price
849.00 Non User Group Price
       Package Number 2

40 Megabyte Half Height Hard Drive - MiniScribe 3638,
Western Digital Controller - WX1 (will control up to 2 Hard drives)
The WEDGE (as above),
Half Height Case (will hold 2 Half Height Drives) with Power supply.

1024.00 User Group Price
1049.00 Non User group Price

       Additional Hard Drives
       ======================

20 Meg (3438) without controller
------
405.00 User Group Price
429.00 Non User Group Price

----------------------

20 Meg (3438p) with controller (WX1)
------
490.00 User Group Price
514.00 Non User Group Price

------------------------

40 Meg (3650) without controller
------
525.00 User Group Price
549.00 Non User Group Price

------------------------

40 Meg (3650) with controller
------
600.00 User Group Price
624.00 Non User Group Price

------------------------

Ordering Information:

Cash or Money Order ONLY
Made payable to Reiter Software Inc.
c/o 9651 Alexandra Road, Richmond, B.C.
Canada, V6X 1C6

+ Dave Allen - President of PANORAMA -   Pacific Northwest Amiga Association  +
+                  - "I can't stop Multitasking" - Write: 9651 Alexandra Rd.  +
+         //                                    Richmond, B.C. Canada V6X 1C6 +
+        //                  or: Dave Allen UUCP: dave@daami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP +
+     \\//             or: {ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!daami!dave +

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (11/04/87)

In article <1497@van-bc.UUCP> Dave@daami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP (Dave Allen) writes:
>                             Warning!
>                             -=-=-=-
>The following message may be taken as an advertisement and therefore
>may offend Net users. The intention is to make inexpensive Hard Drive
>systems available to members of Amiga Users Groups.

This message might offend AMIGA owners that have hard drives already.
But if you don't have a hard drive ...

>The WEDGE, a hard drive interface board for the AMIGA 1000 and 500.
>Allows you to connect up to 4 160 Megabyte IBM style hard drives.
>Requires Drive Controller card - suggested Western Digital WX1

What exactly is The WEDGE ? If you are going to be commercial, at least
fully describe the product.

I would presume it is a slap on the side something or other that allows you
to use IBM hard drive controllers so that one can use an inexpensive IBM
hard drive. Is this what it is ?

Does it pass the buss properly ? (IE. can I use my 2 meg slap on the side
expansion ?)

I presume it comes with a proper software driver ? Source would be nice
(so it can be tweaked to go faster, etc.) ?

How does one of the hard drive systems described in the previous article
compare speed-wise for program loading/saving/etc. to the other hard drives
available ? (I think a program to check this info is on one of the fish
disks .. I remember seeing a whole bunch of stats for other AMIGA hard
drives posted a while back).

Does anybody out there have one that can give a review ?

Since the local dealer has 20 meg hard drives (I forget the make) for
around $1500(?) cdn, I would like to know more about The WEDGE.

	fred

 CSNet: grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu
  UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,utzoo}!watmath!grwalter
CDNnet: grwalter@watmath.waterloo.cdn
  ARPA: grwalter%watmath.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa