[comp.sys.amiga] Disposable computers

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (10/31/87)

In article <1011@uhccux.UUCP>, cs313s02@uhccux.UUCP (Cs313s02) writes:

>                               Perhaps we should make disposable
> computer: that way, nobody will complain about upgrades...  8=)

Don't laugh!  Rumor here in the Valley has it that Gene Amdahl (no longer
associated with Amdahl Corp.) is working on just that in his latest
venture.  This on mainframe scale machines, natch.

Just think of it ... disposable 370's ...

/kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin (with the fiberglass reinforced left foot) McBride) (11/03/87)

<>
<
<Don't laugh!  Rumor here in the Valley has it that Gene Amdahl (no longer
<associated with Amdahl Corp.) is working on just that in his latest
<venture.  This on mainframe scale machines, natch.
<
<Just think of it ... disposable 370's ...
<
</kim

Um, Kim, 370s *are* disposable.  I worked on one for a few years as a co-op.
Later on in life, I found a perfect use for the 370.  We had copious amounts
of disk space on ours and I even had my own pack.  The MIS people were fanatic
about making sure that no piece of data that ever entered the system was lost.
I knew without a doubt that if I put some source code on an on-line library on
the 370 that it would be safe forever.

I used the 370 to backup my Eclipse.

--
Kevin McBride, the guy in the cast   //       | Your mind is totally controlled
Raquetball - the only way to        //        | It has been stuffed into my mold

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/04/87)

In article <1042@uhccux.UUCP>, cs313s02@uhccux.UUCP (Cs313s02) writes:

>      Anybody know where Gene Amdahl is working now?  I think I'll go rummage
> through his trash.  And see if I can find a disposed 370!  Actually, I'll
> be quite satisfied with a -disposed- Amiga...  8')

I *think* the name of his new venture is "AndOr Corp."  ... kinda catchy,
isn't it?