[comp.sys.amiga] GO 64! C-64 emulator

agollum@engr.uky.edu (David Herron aka Admiral Gollum) (11/04/87)

Does anyone have any experience with the above-mentioned product?
Specifically, what programs can/can't it handle?  Do programs run
at full speed?  In short, can it run my vast game library properly?
Does it do both graphics (correctly) and sound?  Does it run as a
task or take over the machine?

The package says it comes with hardware; am I correct in assuming
this to be a card for hooking up a 1541/1571/1581 drive?

What I'm really asking is, does AMIGA + GO 64 = C-64?
If not, what's missing?

Reply directly to me and I'll summarize to the net; I'm sure this
would be interesting to the general net.public...(right?)

Kenneth Herron

manes@xanth.UUCP (11/05/87)

In article <1758@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> agollum@engr.uky.edu (David Herron aka Admiral Gollum) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the above-mentioned product?
>Specifically, what programs can/can't it handle?  Do programs run
>at full speed?  In short, can it run my vast game library properly?
>Does it do both graphics (correctly) and sound?  Does it run as a
>task or take over the machine?
>
>The package says it comes with hardware; am I correct in assuming
>this to be a card for hooking up a 1541/1571/1581 drive?
>
>What I'm really asking is, does AMIGA + GO 64 = C-64?
>If not, what's missing?

I have a friend that went to Ami-Expo, both the GO 64 Emulator was there
and so was another emulator known as the "The C64 Emulator" from ReadySoft.
Of the two, I can say this.  The C64 Emulator seems to work the best,
and requires no extra hardware.  You can purchase a serial cable to
connect the 1541 drive if you like for a extra cost of $10.  The software
sells for $39, so with the cable it would be $49.  It is capable of
reading Amiga disks so all you really need to do is transfer stuff over
and you can keep it on Amiga disks.

The good news is that it works, it allows use of the serial port and if
you have 1meg it will allow you to emulate the Commodore Memory expansion
for the C64.  The GO 64 Emulator will not handle serial devices and does
not support the memory emulation.

The final killer to the c64 emulator is that the folks that sell it, will
give you parameters (or something like that) to run certain software, where
as the ReadySoft one will try.

The major problem with the ReadySoft Emulator (and they are very clear about
this if you talk to them) is that it will not handle Fastload routines.
Unfortunately this kills 90% of the new stuff.

Now the big question of course is speed.  It runs betwwen 40% to 80% speed
of a c64.  I am not sure about the GO 64 version.  This makes graphics
intensive games a joke.  O well....

So in summary I would not throw out your c64 yet... :-D

-mark=
Yeah?  Its my Amiga and I'll multitask if I want too!